What's new

Visiting Japan - reentry stamp and residence card?

applepicker

後輩
31 Aug 2016
I am popping back to the Land of the Rising Sun to keep my permanent residency still active by getting my reenty stamp, mine expires in a few months what's the maximum I can get- is it five or seven years?

Also, looking at my residence card it says the period of validity of the card expires on 20th Feb 2020. Do i need to get a new card as well as reentry stamp? Because I might not be coming back to Japan until 2022 or 2024.

On the card my period of stay/date of expiration has stars on it which means unlimited, but that's referring to my permanent residency not validity of the card.

I am popping back to the Land of the Rising Sun to keep my permanent residency still active by getting my reenty stamp, mine expires in a few months what's the maximum I can get- is it five or seven years?
I don't know if you can claim to be a resident in Japan unless you are, in fact, a resident of Japan. Leaving and then returning temporarily to try to satisfy a statutory requirement of residence may raise red flags. Do you maintain a residence here, do you have a viable claim of residence here, did you notify your last local residential authority (your last city hall) that you were leaving temporarily and did you make the necessary tax and pension arrangements, etc...?
I say this not because I have any firm grasp on what immigration will say to you, but I think it would be wise to bear in mind that they may take a dim view of you claiming to be a resident if you do not have your home base here.

Can I ask for a new card which is valid until I come back in 2022? What will happen if the card expires but still have reentry on passport? Maybe go to city hall and ask for new card.

Yes, I think the best thing is to go to the city hall. I think their first question will be, "Where in our city do you live?". Everything following that question becomes a bit murky.

The address on my card is the old one from 7 yrs ago. I suppose I could call first and ask that i might be leaving Japan for two years and my residence card will expire. Ask them what I should do. I don't think renentry stamp will be a problem.

Chatting to my friend and he said everyone working here has a my number. Well I haven't got one of those so best ask if I need one. They were introduced 2 yrs ago. When I left 7 yrs ago I paid my residence tax to the last day and got a receipt. They made a note of it as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom