What's new

Vintage Japanese Matchbox labels

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
I've been collecting these for a short period of time and have some nice examples. Many of the designs found on these Japanese matchbox labels are very interesting and inventive.

I've loaded two. One depicting a young girl reading and while there is no writing on the front the reverse is printed with information. Possibly this might have a date or something I can add to my collection notes.

The second is obviously advertising from a photo studio. A terrific design which I am happy to have purchased. Any info gleaned from the printing would be appreciated.

Japanese girl reading.jpg
Japanese girl reading RV.jpg

2. Photo Studio
Japanese photo studio.jpg

The first one as far as I can tell doesn't have a date. 三十第 is the only reference to any number I see. That would be ordinal number 30 though. On the second maybe (57) could be the year but that would be 昭和(showa) 57 which would make it 1982. I don't think that's likely but that's the only think I could find.

What an interesting old-school advertising method, love the designs too.

Doesn't 第 usually come before the number? Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for horizontal writing to be written right to left, so it might actually be saying 第十三號

Which would make the top... 實用物, but perhaps the first character is either wrong or outdated, as google spits out a lot of Chinese stuff. I'm no good with the old stuff!

The right side of the second one seems to give the location of the studio, on the second floor of a building in Shimbashi

The old style kanji combined with the fact that the Korean Peninsula is also blacked in just like Japan on the globe dates it as being sometime during the Japanese rule of Korea (1910-1945).

In the first picture, 實 is the traditional form of 実, thus, it shows that the the registration is for 実用物 "practical things".
第十三號 "No. 13" would be the registered number of the trade mark printed above.

The second one is advertising of カトウ寫眞(=写真)室 "Kato Photo Studio".
The catchphrase of the studio is 自己を陶醉(=酔)させる! "It (= Taking pictures in this studio) intoxicates yourself!".
The name of the building is 新橋博品館 "Shinbashi Hakuhinkan".
The numbers at the bottom are their phone numbers.

Thank you all very much.

I have added the information to the binder of covers. There is such a wide range of these little pieces of artwork available. Some have such little amounts of information I wondered how they could be used for advertising.

Some of the most valuable matchbox covers date from Japan's military conflicts. I have seen many of those bring well over $100.00 each. Others that people like include images of Mickey Mouse, Betty Boop and so on.

I like the ones that incorporate Western culture with Japanese culture. Or ones that advertise bars, cafes and restaurants. I also like the designs that are just wild to the Western eye - and maybe to the Japanese eye too, I don't know.

Here are a few more which I have no translation. 3, 4, 5, 6.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

The fourth example with the solitary woman reminded me of such figures in Edward Hopper's works.

similar to hopper.jpg
edward hopper automat  1927    Google Search.png
Edward Hopper s Chop Suey  1929 explained on ArtEx.png

Back
Top Bottom