What's new

Japanese honorifics

UnsungH3R0

Professional Ninja
11 Jan 2014
Hi, everyone! My friend and I are working on writing a story which involves the Yakuza. We were wondering about the honorifics they would use when addressing their Oyabun (such as how the Chinese Triads use Da and Ge). Could they use Bosu or the equivalent of Young Boss? Also are there any honorifics underlings would use when referring to higher ranking members other than -san and whatnot?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Honorific titles are usually used for those who have thier titles, for instance, Oyaji, Oyassan or Kumichō is for boss, Wakagashira or Kashira is for No.2.
Aniki would be most common when referring to superiors.

Thanks so much for the response. It's super helpful. Regarding the honorific titles: would they be used with the person's name? For example, Misaaki-kumichō. Or would they merely refer to their Kumichō with a regular honorific such as -sama? Also, if they used Aniki would they attach an honorific to it like is often done with Nii and Onee?

Thanks again for the help. :)

Just Oyaji, Oyassan, Kumichō or Aniki without name or any honorifics. (Except Oyaji-san. In fact, Oyassan is a variation of Oyaji-san). Kumichō-san is used when referring to the boss of another organization.
Members are considered "family", therefore "dad" or "bro" are used.

BTW, "Misaaki" is not a Japanese name.

Thanks for the explanation. And yeah, I meant to type "Masaaski". Don't know how that pesky "i" got in there instead.

Back
Top Bottom