What's new

V~てしまう

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I'd like to ask if the ~てしまう in the next sentences has this meaning 6 ㋐その動作・行為が完了する、すっかりその状態になる意を表す。(しまう【仕舞う/終う/了う】の意味 - goo国語辞書)

a) あさぎ:クーラーよ クーラー。夏でもすずしくしてしまう機械よ。(Asagi was showing to Yotsuba the AC unit)
6㋐ seems to be the only possible meaning but it still seemed a little strange to me. Does "すずしくしてしまう" mean "to completely cool"?

b) (忘却:)すっかり忘れてしまうこと。忘れ去ること。 (ぼうきゃく【忘却】の意味 - goo国語辞書)
I'm not entirely sure that this すっかり忘れてしまう is "to completely forget". The 6㋑ meaning ("to completely forget accidentally") also seems to fit.

c) (去る:)ある場所から離れる。そこを離れてどこかへ行ってしまう。(さる【去る】の意味 - goo国語辞書)
As with the sentence from #a), the meaning seems strange. Does どこかへ行ってしまう mean "to go somewhere permanently (without coming back)"?

~てしまう often has a nuance of regret, not just "to complete the action".
I think it 's ironically used as "unexpectedly", i.e., as the definition イ in the example a.
The example b and c are both "to complete".
"To complete the action going" is not the same as "never return". It doesn't have the meaning such like "to go somewhere permanently without coming back".

a) So...this ~てしまう is used for showing surprise (that the the AC can make cool even in the summer). I'm not sure what you mean by "it's ironically used". Do you mean that she's not actually surprised that the AC can do this?

Also, I found this sentence. Here, is it "to complete"?
屋敷には200個のオレンジを30分で絞ってしまう機械があった。

c) Ahh, then 行ってしまう just means "to finish leaving" (what is being completed is the departure part), right?

a)
I mean "to make cool" is not a bad thing for her (not a thing with regret).

c)
Right.

Ah, I understand now. Thank you very much!

Also, can you answer this too please? I am not sure if you saw it...
Also, I found this sentence. Here, is it "to complete"?
屋敷には200個のオレンジを30分で絞ってしまう機械があった。

Yes, it's "to complete in 30 minutes (probably with a nuance of "unexpectedly")".

Hello,

母さん:昔はあんなにかわいかったのになんでこんなにやさぐれてしまったのかしら
あさぎ:やさぐれてないわよ
Asagi's mother is complaining about her.

I just want to check...Does she use しまう to indicate regret here?

Back
Top Bottom