What's new

Umbrellas overwhelm Japan police

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
"Japan's police wants to cut the time lost property must be held for, because honest Japanese are overwhelming them with items they have found.";
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Umbrellas overwhelm Japan police
"One fifth of all the items handed in as lost property were umbrellas, the paper quoted the police as saying."
Lol ☔ :shiver: !
_41416218_umbrellaap66-1.jpg

Thank god, that there are honest people who bring things back to the Police, in my country they would keep it for themselves, trow it away, or just leave it on the street or where ever it is. LONG LIVE HONEST BRINGING BACK👍

Japan's police wants to cut the time lost property must be held for, because honest Japanese are overwhelming them with items they have found.

Police received a record 10.7m items in 2004, 3.5 times the amount handed in 50 years ago, The Yomiuri Shimbun said.

One fifth of all the items handed in as lost property were umbrellas, the paper quoted the police as saying.

Fewer than 1% of them are ever claimed, but at the moment the police are obliged to keep things for six months.

That so many of such an inexpensive item are handed in to the authorities points to a culture in Japan of dealing honestly with lost property.

It is not uncommon to despair of losing a cherished item, only to discover it has been dutifully given to the police or lost property office.

Most street crimes also decreased in 2004, compared to the previous year.

Source

I try to avoid carrying umbrellas, because when i have one closed, i do a silly charlie chaplain-esque strut with it. 👍

Its interesting, in Japan theres an umbrella for each member of the family, in scotland you have one between the entire household and have to share.

But we got such pissy weather we've just given up on staying dry outside. 😊

nurizeko said:
I try to avoid carrying umbrellas, because when i have one closed, i do a silly charlie chaplain-esque strut with it. 👍
lol! I get around that problem by having one of those small ones that folds up short, so I can put it into my bag when it's closed. :)

Anyone noticed how damn expensive umbrellas are? Maybe it's just me, but one time it was absolutely pissing it down with rain and my hat just wasn't cutting the mustard, I went looking for an umbrella thinking 'oh, I'll just buy a cheap one'... easier said than done... :mad: Eventually I found a store that sold them for a few quid, but most of umbrella-sellers only had swish ones that cost about 15 quid... ☝

I think its because umbrellas in japan are as throw-away as a box of tissues, in britain, when we buy something, we prefer it to be a long lived choice.

Japan is consume consume consume.

The UK is more, Buy and re-use.

Thats my hypothesis anyway.

Hmm, it's a good point, but I think we're getting a lot less like that. There was an article in some paper the other week about that kind of thing - y'know, how you can buy a T-shirt for like 4 quid from a cheap shop, you just throw them away easily, and the same for stuff like bags and shoes... I first noticed it when I got to wanting to make clothes. It costs a damn fortune to make your own clothes these days, way more than buying them from a shop! no longer is it the 'poor person's choice' to make their own...

But that's another discussion. 😌

I remember one of my Proffs telling me how in japan when you loose an umbrella its no big deal. That way when its raining you can always go to the lost and found and claim *a* umbrella. She said that once she even saw a guy with hers. SOunded convienent to me ....

I envisioned that this story was going to be about an angry mob of salarymen fighting off the police with their umbrellas.:giggle: But, taking an umbrella to the police?:eek: Many of them you can get at the Y100 shop.

:giggle:

either that or police being unable to aprehend a suspect because of so many crowded umbrellas.

OMG Id pay to see angry salary men fending off police with umbrellas. It would be known as The Day of the Umbrela in Japan.

Hide My Heart said:
:giggle:
either that or police being unable to aprehend a suspect because of so many crowded umbrellas.
OMG Id pay to see angry salary men fending off police with umbrellas. It would be known as The Day of the Umbrela in Japan.

reminds me of the news article i once read of a crazy man with a bat chasing 2 or 3 jcops down a street... anyone have that article? :D

Back
Top Bottom