What's new

Translation of Planet Sushi

dfdesigner

Registered
23 May 2021
Hi everyone, I am working on the Sushi menu and we want to put kanji characters on the front page. The sushi restaurant is called: Planet sushi.
I have just searched on google, so we aren't sure if it's right, but I guess it isn't. Can anybody help with this translation? Thanks much.
60a9494c5fcf359491918ebd_kanji.jpg

That says "Hoshi Sushi", which means Star Sushi.
Although the word hoshi (星) can be used to mean planet, it is most commonly used to mean star.
I would used 惑星 (wakusei) for planet.
惑星寿司 (wakusei sushi) or 寿司惑星 (sushi wakusei), either works.

Actually, there is already a musical group called Sushi Wakusei.

It might be better to put a space between 寿司 and 惑星 for the latter case to avoid being misinterpreted as a single word (i.e., the name of a planet).

Thank you for your advice. The English name will be just above the characters, so if I think space won't be needed. I would prefer a variant with the same order as in English, It means 惑星寿司 so it would be great.

Speaking strictly, when the word 寿司 is used in the second position of a compound word like the name of a restaurant ○○寿司, the pronunciation of "sushi" usually changes to "zushi" because of a phenomenon called rendaku. For example, major Japanese sushi restaurant chains はま寿司, くら寿司 and かっぱ寿司 are pronounced "Hamazushi", "Kurazushi" and "Kappazushi", respectively.

However, these restaurant chains use the English names "Hamasushi", "Kurasushi" and "Kappasushi" in their home pages probably because "zushi" might confuse foreigners, so there is no problem with "wakusei sushi". Anyway, if you only use kanji on the menu, there would be no need to think about the pronunciation of the kanji.

... For example, major Japanese sushi restaurant chains はま寿司, くら寿司 and かっぱ寿司 are pronounced "Hamazushi", "Kurazushi" and "Kappazushi", respectively.
Hey, you forgot かいてん and the different kanji for that! ;)

Yes, they are all 回転寿司 restaurant chains, but they don't have 回転 in their restaurant names.

株式会社はま寿司(はまし)

Kura Sushi (Japanese: くら寿司, Hepburn: Kura zushi)

かっぱ寿司(かっぱし)

By the way, 回転寿司 is also pronounced "kaitenzushi".;)

Back
Top Bottom