What's new

Translation help

IsaacDavid

Sempai
9 Jun 2019
I'm a beginner.i was trying to read a jlpt n3 reading file.i understand almost all except for this phrase i cannot figure out its meaning: その ホテル では,客 が チェックアウト した あと も 部屋 の ゴミ は もう 一泊 させる の だ そう だ.

All the sentence(sorry i wrote phrase) that i wrote above is what i don't understand.what is its translation?

The core of the sentence is そのホテルでは、部屋のゴミはもう一泊させるのだそうだ。.

1) Have you already learned the function of ~そうだ at the end of the sentence?
2) Have you already learned the causative sentence? What is the causee in 部屋のゴミをもう一泊させる?

Yes, that's right. Both are correct. The sentence uses the personification. The causee is the trash, and 部屋のゴミをもう一泊させる "they(= the hotel) let the trash of the room stay one more night" actually means "they keep the trash(= they don't throw the trash away) for one more night".

は after ゴミ is for contrast.

Thanks.as i want to know more about japanese can you explain me about"the sentence uses the personification" and "は after ゴミ is for contrast".

Oh, sorry, I should have used "prosopopoeia" instead of "personification". 一泊する/させる is used only for people, but it's used for trash here.

As I wrote 部屋のゴミもう一泊させる, を is used to indicate the causee. は adds the meaning "they might throw other things away, but they keep the trash" to it.

How about 客がチェックアウトしたあとも?

Explain me about that the sentence use prosopopoeia.you mean what i understand by:客がチェックアウトしたあとも?

Because you wrote "All the sentence that I wrote above is what I don't understand." You actually already got the meaning of the clause? If so, you would be able to understand the whole sentence, no?

Can you give us your translation of the whole sentence? This is a general idea and not just to you, but we often see the cases that "learners think they understand the meaning of a sentence" is not the same as "their understanding is correct". I believe it's useful for you to confirm whether you really understand it correctly or not.

Back
Top Bottom