What's new

can these be translated?

ningen

Kouhai
20 Jul 2010
I have some things I would like to have translated, I put them in a new topic instead of in the topic for things that need to be translated so I can ask questions about something I don't really understand about the phrases

1. To much is bad
In the movie The Karate Kid 2010 I heared the Chinese sentence "Wu Ji Bi Fan" what according to the subtitles means "to much is bad", and I was wondering what the Japanese would be.

2. I don't speak Japanese

3. I want to study Japanese

4. You're annoying, can you please be silent?

1. To much is bad
In the movie The Karate Kid 2010 I heared the Chinese sentence "Wu Ji Bi Fan" what according to the subtitles means "to much is bad", and I was wondering what the Japanese would be.

You mean "too much is bad"?
There's a saying 過ぎたるは及ばざるが如し (sugitaru wa oyobazaru ga gotoshi)
meaning "Too much is as bad as too little."

2. I don't speak Japanese
3. I want to study Japanese
4. You're annoying, can you please be silent?

There's already a thread "Need a word or phrase translated?"
Need a word or phrase translated? | Japan Forum

And these are rather simple sentences. You should give a shot yourself first, and ask if they are correct or be more specific which part you cannot understand.

And these are rather simple sentences. You should give a shot yourself first, and ask if they are correct or be more specific which part you cannot understand.

okay, I'll try, don't expect a lot of good phrases :p

I don't speak Japanese - Watashi wa nihongo hanashikakeru
I want to study Japanese - watashi wa nihongo manabu
You're annoying, can you please be silent? - anata wa okkuu da, damare kudasai?

did I mess up a lot?

I don't speak Japanese - Watashi wa nihongo hanashikakeru

I assume you're trying to use potential form here? However, the potential form of hanasu is hanaseru; thus the full sentence would be: "watashi wa nihongo o hanasemasen", "I can't speak Japanese". Simply, "I don't speak Japanese" would be "watashi wa nihongo o hanashimasen".

I want to study Japanese - watashi wa nihongo manabu

Your sentence simply means "I [will/am] study/learn[ing] Japanese". I'm not completely familiar with manabu; the verb for study I'm acquainted with is benkyousuru, but assuming manabu also means study as well as learn... the correct usage would be: "watashi wa nihongo o manabitaidesu".

This is fairly close. However, damare is the imperative form of damaru, thus doesn't need kudasai after it....that said, it's VERY direct and you wouldn't use it in remotely polite conversation (it's like yelling "Shut up!"). You can make it more polite by following its te-form with kudasai. Therefore, "anata wa okkuu desu. damatte kudasai." is closer (and more polite) than your original. Though I believe "shizuka ni shite kudasai" is an even more polite way of asking someone to be quiet.

Also, generally speaking, you don't use "anata" in polite conversation either, it's best to use the person's name.

1. To much is bad
Google search suggests "Wu Ji Bi Fan" is 物極必反(もの極まれば必ずかえる[Mono kiwamareba kanarazu kaeru]) or "Things will develop in the opposite direction when they become extreme." "Too much is bad" is more likely 過猶不及(過ぎたるは猶お及ばざるがごとし[Sugitaru wa nao oyobazaru ga gotoshi]), as undrentide-san wrote. The meaning is similar, though.

億劫[okkuu] is more likely "not to want to do something (e.g. because of troublesomeness/less interest)", and not used for people. うるさい[Urusai] would be appropriate here.

I was thinking うざい.

うざいよ。黙っててくれない?

But I guess うるさい probably works better there.

Back
Top Bottom