What's new

To live in japan for 6 months...

Humm??

Probably be very very rich and have a good hideout from the authorities.

Uncle Frank

😊

PS - Being invisible would probably help also?

With just a tourist visa, couldnt you leave in the middle (to another country) and come back? Is that what you mean? like as far as visas go?

With just a tourist visa, couldnt you leave in the middle (to another country) and come back? Is that what you mean? like as far as visas go?

You could, but if immigration catches on to what you're doing, they can always deny you a visa. Do this more than once, and I bet this is exactly what would happen.

Hell, it might even happen if you didn't spend long enough abroad before coming back (Say, go to Japan, 3 months, go to Korea, come back the next day).

Generally speaking, coming to Japan without a visa beforehand will allow you for a landing permit of 90 days. If you want to stay longer it may or may not be possible to get an extension on this. I simply don't know.

There may be other visas available to you, depending on your particular circumstances. I would check the Ministry of Justice's hompage on this. (I think this is who is in charge of immigration issues.)

Generally speaking, coming to Japan without a visa beforehand will allow you for a landing permit of 90 days. If you want to stay longer it may or may not be possible to get an extension on this. I simply don't know.
There may be other visas available to you, depending on your particular circumstances. I would check the Ministry of Justice's hompage on this. (I think this is who is in charge of immigration issues.)
I heard that Nikkeijin get 1 year automatic, and they may proceed to work. I doubt they even let Canadians get such a sweet deal in the US! Also, Nikkeijin caught without a gaijin card could just say that they are Japanese national especially with fluent Japanese and can pass. David Arwinkle being Japanese still has to carry his passport around to prove he isn't gaijin! He probably will have to for the rest of his life!

I heard that Nikkeijin get 1 year automatic, and they may proceed to work. I doubt they even let Canadians get such a sweet deal in the US! Also, Nikkeijin caught without a gaijin card could just say that they are Japanese national especially with fluent Japanese and can pass. David Arwinkle being Japanese still has to carry his passport around to prove he isn't gaijin! He probably will have to for the rest of his life!
visa info
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/faq.htm#q5
Being Nikkei does not mean one is necessarily fluent in Japanese. If a nikkei was asked to show ID, the police will soon realize they are dealing with a foreigner.
What is your obsession with Nikkei?

The OP is currently residing in Italy so I really have no idea what Canada, the US or David have to do with someone wanting to come to have fun in Japan for 6 months.

To the OP, depending on the country of the passport you are holding like other posters wrote you can get a visa on entry for 90 days renewable for another 90 without it being necessary to leave the country, just go to the local immigration office and put in the necessary paperwork for an extension. Oh you will have to pay a minor fee as well for the extension request.

It really isnt that difficult. Check the link that Mikawa san provided and I would also check the information for the country of the passport you hold as well to check any restrictions or information about travel to Japan.

Oh lastly please ignore the inpertinent post(er)s as well. It's kind of like having to deal with those damn annoying pop-up banners that are so common today on so many websites. They are a pain to deal with sometimes but in the bigger view of the world they are just an annoyance and nothing to get overly upset about. Childish at best.

Hummm????

Another one shot poster who never returns to comment or say thank you for the help(or lack there of). Maybe they forget they joined?

Uncle Frank

😊

PS - Sometimes I post something silly to bring a post back to the top when no one answers to give it another shot at being answered.

VISA

Here is the homepage I was referring to in my first reply to this thread. This has all visa information for all countries. The previous one was just for the USA.

To the OP, depending on the country of the passport you are holding like other posters wrote you can get a visa on entry for 90 days renewable for another 90 without it being necessary to leave the country, just go to the local immigration office and put in the necessary paperwork for an extension. Oh you will have to pay a minor fee as well for the extension request.

Obeika, Immigration told me that for an extension without leaving the country you must have an emergency type reason, otherwise you Must leave the country and then return in order to renew your visa. Do you know, is this wrong information? Or is it just how it is for a US citizen?

Its Ok Uncle Frank, I appreciated the info, so Im glad they posted, so I'll give a thank you to everybody for your time!

I lived in Japan for six months, with no other landing permission than tourist--- After three months my girlfriend and I went to Korea, and came back for another three months there.

I don't see someone living in Japan in a hotel for 6 months... that's just not financially wise.... Unless you're rich, and then in that case, really--- I think, as Morrissey said... money changes everything.

I expect you're just looking for some weird magic way for someone to 'bum around' Japan for six months on the cheap... but, it doesn't work that way.

Sorry.

Obeika, Immigration told me that for an extension without leaving the country you must have an emergency type reason, otherwise you Must leave the country and then return in order to renew your visa. Do you know, is this wrong information? Or is it just how it is for a US citizen?

Could very well be, I dont know. It also could be an issue about being able to prove that you are financially capable of taking care of yourself for that amount of time without doing anything illegal.

Like staying with family members or relatives. Things like that.

However this quote is taken directly from the following link, scroll down the page to just past the list of countries that have visa exception agreements with Japan.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html

Nationals of countries and regions that have taken measures concerning the waiver of visa requirements with Japan for stays of up to six months in principle are granted permission to stay in Japan for 90 days at the time of landing. Nationals of these countries and regions who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days must apply at their nearest immigration authority in Japan for an extension of their period of stay.

Austria 6 months or less
Germany 6 months or less
Ireland 6 months or less
Liechtenstein 6 months or less
Switzerland 6 months or less
United Kingdom 6 months or less
Mexico 6 months or less

THe US is not on that list, however I know of people that have gotten extensions and they were not for "emergency" reasons. It could also be standard procedure to answer calls lie that as well. Plus remember please that Japan is having problems with people overstaying their visa's illegally so I would expect them to say anything much differently.

Just out of curiosity what do you plan to do for 6 months here? It isn't that cheap as you probably know.

I lived in Japan for six months, with no other landing permission than tourist--- After three months my girlfriend and I went to Korea, and came back for another three months there.

I don't see someone living in Japan in a hotel for 6 months... that's just not financially wise.... Unless you're rich, and then in that case, really--- I think, as Morrissey said... money changes everything.

I expect you're just looking for some weird magic way for someone to 'bum around' Japan for six months on the cheap... but, it doesn't work that way.

Sorry.

What did you do exactly when you went to Korea? Did you go to Japan with a one-way ticket, then bought the ticket for Korea, or did you exchange your return flight for a Korea flight? Just wondering, I'm going to be moving to Japan later this year and may have to do the same thing. Any help would be great, thanks.

What did you do exactly when you went to Korea? Did you go to Japan with a one-way ticket, then bought the ticket for Korea, or did you exchange your return flight for a Korea flight? Just wondering, I'm going to be moving to Japan later this year and may have to do the same thing. Any help would be great, thanks.
No, they won't let you go to Japan with a one way ticket, they won't even let you go if you have a return ticket that needs to be upgraded to a newer return date...

I'm not sure what your circumstances are for "moving" to Japan, but generally speaking, if you plan on staying there a (maximum) of six-months, after your first three-month tourist visa nears it's end, you fly to Korea for a little holiday, and return as a tourist for another 3 months...

I was living with a Japanese national, I had an address, and, regardless of its necessity, I also had a gaijin registration card... Circumstances may be different for you... I don't know how they feel about someone simply bumming around Japan for six months.

Do you have a place to stay, work, etcetera, or are you simply going to go there?

I have a place to stay. My girlfriend just got a teaching job there, so she'll be there for a year. I'd like to go with her, for as long as I can.
So, do you just exchange your return ticket to a korea one, or just push the return date on the ticket back, and then buy a korea ticket?

Hope this helps...

Im here now, I just bought my plane ticket with a changeable return date, they didnt even actually ask to look at my return ticket home, which suprised me. Once you are here, you can push the return date back and buy a separate ticket to Korea. They have several companies over here that offer deals on tickets to Korea or somewhere like that that you may want to visit. (like HIT travel) you can look them up online before you come to check out their rates, you also have a chance to find some great deals before you leave home because they offer packages to tourists sometimes that are great deals. (like the welcome to Japan fares from either ANA or JAL if you are going to fly between mainland and here at all). Anyway, you have to leave the country to renew your visa, so every three months you will have to leave and return, after a while they may hassle you about returning to many times, but I have heard of many people who have done it. You could look for a job once you are here, then you may be able to stay even longer.
As far as purchasing your ticket, make sure you spend a little extra if necessary to buy one with a return date good for up to a year since that may end up being how long you stay, right?
And HAVE FUN! Good for you to take this opportunity!

thanks. so, when you leave to korea, they won't notice the return date on your passport? how far back do you push the return ticket date? sorry about all the questions. I'm moving there in probably september, and I want to make sure I have everything down before I go.

The return date doesnt show up on your passport. Only on your flight tickets. Your passport will show a stamp of when you got to Japan, and when you are supposed to leave. By the way, dont stay past when you are supposed to leave, I have heard that they have a Huge problem with that and dont take kindly to it. They may question you as to why you are in Japan, what you intend to do, and why you are returning. They even questioned me when I first got here, Im here because my husband is stationed here, so I just had to tell them I was visiting family. They just want to make sure you arent here to work illegally or anything like that from what I gather. If you renew your visa (by leaving and returning) to many times, then they will frown on it and require you to leave for a period of time. (also, just from what I gather). All of this is assuming that you are a US citizen, it looks like you are.
You can ask as many questions as you like! I dont mind at all. I was freaking out before I came here, I am not on my husbands orders because we just got married not to long ago, so I had to come here whats called "unnacompanied" meaning no military sponsorship. I had to figure out how to do everything just like how you are. Except I didnt have a place to stay when I started, because he lives in the barracks. I know how nervewrecking it is and if you situate things ahead of time, it makes it TONS easier when you get here. Do know that things WILL fall into place when you get here though, it makes it a lot easier actually being here. I have searched these forums and they have been so helpful! I dont know if you can find ones that I have posted on, but you might want to look them up because they will have more info from other people who helped me out.. thanks everybody, you were Great!... I searched keywords like 'renewing visa' or something like that. There is some great info on this site from people helping out. Whatever you do though, keep your chin up, because at the same time as most people are SO helpful, there are always those that will tell you you "Cant" do something for whatever reason. Just because they havent done it, doesnt mean it cant be done. "Where theres a will theres a way", right? So keep gathering your info, and get ready for a chance of a lifetime, it takes some work to get over here, but you will be so glad you did... I am!
One more thing, check with the consolates while you are there at home, they dont have the answers to everything, but they help a lot. Also, if you dont get an answer you like the first time, call again and ask someone else, sometimes they are helpful, sometimes you wont get the right info, maybe ask the question a different way.
Sorry I wrote so much, I just know what I was going through trying to soak up info before I got here, so trying to help out, hope I did.

Back
Top Bottom