What's new

Thinking of messing around with Linux again, Japanese IME questions

fixelbrumpf

先輩
16 Sep 2003
So, I'm downloading a DVD image of Fedora Core 2, perhaps the fourth Linux distro I've tried so far. Perhaps Linux and I will finally get along with each other.
One question, though: I know there are a few Japanese IME programs for Linux, but are there also ones that include the handy handwriting recognition feature from MS IME? I've really become kind of fond of it.
Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. I take it you can't just run it in WINE, can you? :?

I'm using Gentoo Linux and my knowledge of fedora is somewhat limited. But you will have to do the following:

1. You need a X-Server with CJK support. If you don't know whether your X Server supports this, just try.
2. You need a ttf-font to display kana + kanji (for all graphical applications). On Gentoo there is a package called "kochi-subtitute". Perhaps fedora has it too. This is a clear and readable font.
3. For input you can use kinput2 (kana input) + canna (backend server to convert kana to kanji). kinput2 gives me headaches every day but i didn't find another program so far.

To be able to input japanese (with kinput2) you need to start the application with a specific "locale". This defaults to "ja_JP.eucJP". Then press Shift+Space to (de)activate jap. input.

For handwriting recognition I use "kanjipad".

Hope this helps ...

Thanks, sounds like a lot of fun.... sigh. :(

Does it matter whether you're using KDE or Gnome, by the way? I kind of prefer the look of Gnome. I'm definitely not "hardcore" enough to try Gentoo, but isn't Fedora supposed to be pretty newbie-friendly? After all, it's based on Red Hat, isn't it?

Edit: my favourite ttf kanji/kana font is "Sekaishotai". It seems to be free, I found it in some font directory while combing the Net. It's a handwriting-style font and it's really gorgeous-looking.

I remember I had a kanji server installed ...-_-
sigh...really a pain in the xxx to make it work...

fixelbrumpf said:
Thanks, sounds like a lot of fun.... sigh. :(

Does it matter whether you're using KDE or Gnome, by the way? I kind of prefer the look of Gnome. I'm definitely not "hardcore" enough to try Gentoo, but isn't Fedora supposed to be pretty newbie-friendly? After all, it's based on Red Hat, isn't it?

Edit: my favourite ttf kanji/kana font is "Sekaishotai". It seems to be free, I found it in some font directory while combing the Net. It's a handwriting-style font and it's really gorgeous-looking.

Gentoo is not too hard! You can learn very much while installing it. When using KDE you only have to install the input system. Viewing japanese Text should work out of the box. It doesn't matter which windowmanager you use. But if you prefer a windowmanager, which is not so overloaded like KDE or Gnome, try fluxbox.

Can you post a link, where I can download the font you mentioned?

Well, the download's finished. I'm afraid of installing it. :mad:

Although installing Linux from a DVD this will probably be significantly more fun than installing it from a bunch of CDs.

I think I had better get a new "Linux only" hard drive first. though. I used to use an old secondary HD for my Linux experiments, but it broke.

Back
Top Bottom