What's new

The "Big" One..

King of Tokyo

The Funky Homosapien.
7 Dec 2003
Ok.. Does anyone know when The "Big" Earthquake is predicted to hit Tokyo ? I scare myself just thinking about it.. I don't want to be there when it happens :? yet I don't want to be there after it happens.. It is supposedly predicted to hit every 70 years.. If that is true it should have already hit.. So yeh does anyone know when it's predicted to happen ? And what are your thoughts on this freaky thing.. :unsure:

At Least...

you will be in a country that is prepared for it! When I was stationed in the Alutian Islands, we got an earthquake at least once a month. I always thought it was interesting when a bad one hit, it would freeze me in place. No matter how hard I wanted to move, my feet were superglued to the floor till the movement stopped!

Frank

:?

There was plenty of earthquakes last year while I was there, had a fun time with a 5 sized earthquake whilst on the top floor of the school building :D

They predicted it to hit all of last year so I imagine they are still predicting it to hit today. Mt Fuji was meant to go off too :p

Frank D. White said:
you will be in a country that is prepared for it!

I take it you are not familiar with the disgraceful debacle of the inept handling of the Hanshin earthquake in 1995?

Do real estate prices in japan plunge after a big earthquake? I remember the huge Northridge quake of 94; right after that, housing prices went straight down in all of los angeles. I'm hoping for another quake soon :)

haha, I wanna be there... given I'm in one of the buildings that can withstand earthquakes up to 9.5 on the richter scale :D. I just think it'd be fun. its expected within 50 years I hear...

Daijoubu!

I'm sure that with God's love (kamisama no ai), even if it did happen and it's quite devastating, the people will able to rebuild Tokyo again and continue on with their life.

As for Richter scale.

Richter scale isn't an exact way to determine on how much devastating an earthquake is.

How an earthquake devastate is due on how the 'way' it shakes, and not on how 'strong' it shakes.

Anyway. With all of these talks about Tokyo getting the 'big one' in the future, shouldn't there be a travel warning on discouraging people to travel to Tokyo, in the event that when it happen, it could kill hundreds if not thousand of people?

digicross said:
Richter scale isn't an exact way to determine on how much devastating an earthquake is.

How an earthquake devastate is due on how the 'way' it shakes, and not on how 'strong' it shakes.

Yeah, but your average scale 2 earthquake wont cause a crack spanning half the globe like a scale 12 would. :)

Hmm... I hope it is all just hyped and that when it happens it won't be nearly as bad as last time.. :unsure:

When it comes, it will come. I don't think you can predict when it will come, but you can prepare for it when it comes. (So I've heard. :) )

when it comes, I'll be there.. so if you hear "the big one has hit Japan!" you'll know i'm there, in the Tokyo Tower, holding on to a pillar going "IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT?? I'M HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE HERE!!!!!"

if you're there, come laugh at the feeble attempts of the gods with me!

people always talk about waiting for the 'next big one' in l.a. for instance too, but last i heard they've (the elusive 'they' that loosely refers to scientists) moved away from the 'big one' idea - in other words, sure there might be a big one, but there might just also be a couple small ones. an 'overdue big one' may well have been taken care of in a series of smaller, less noticable earthquakes, in other words.
either way, no point in worrying about it - not much you can do - beyond say not sleep under very precariously balanced porcelain...

It's technically impossible to "predict" earthquakes.

but it doesn't stop people from trying! Most projections are based on probability. That is, as more times pass without an earthquake, the more likely a chance there is one will happen; not to say anything about it's potential size.
Personally, I listen to the local farmer's predictions. Accordingly, Tokyo will be leveled in the next 20 years, North Korea will attack Japan, and the price of watermelons will rise 50 yen.

:gohan:

Yes I would not mind an earthquake after I graduate my high school. 😌

an 'overdue big one' may well have been taken care of in a series of smaller, less noticable earthquakes, in other words.
I believe the base calculation is something like 1,000 barely discernable quakes putting out the energy to equal a 'big one.' And Tokyo has for instance two or three very low level ones every month, so maybe there's something to this, if they're all coming along the same fault line.

These days it shakes often, which scares hell out of me, cause it had been said that pretty big earthquake would hit my place within 10years.
I heard the story for first time when I was 8 years old and now I'm 17.
Uhhh, help..... there are a lot of big pieces of furniture in my house,,,,,.
By the way, I live in Kanagawa.

There were about three nice sized earthquakes this week in Kobe, but nothing compared to the one in 1995. Even if a big one did hit Tokyo, they should be able to rebuild pretty quickly, though the economy would be damaged.

Foxtrot Uniform said:
There were about three nice sized earthquakes this week in Kobe, but nothing compared to the one in 1995. Even if a big one did hit Tokyo, they should be able to rebuild pretty quickly, though the economy would be damaged.

Do you really think they could rebuild quickly?
I guess not, have you ever seen any pic of "the Kantou-big-earthquake"
It was completely divastated.
Surely the system to rebuild collapsed things is better than that at the time, but Tokyo has a lot of tall buildings, which would cause calamity if an massive earthquake hit it.

I think that there was a manual for big earthquake, but only for Tokyo, at the big earthquake in Hanshin 1995.
many fire trucks aid parties arrived from every direction of Hyogo Prefecture,
but there were many fire trucks which did not match the junction part of the suction pump of Kobe-city.
At the time of 1995 Hanshin,in here Osaka, there was sound in which something explodes and the floor shook perpendicularly and horizontally violently.
Kansai area's people thought at first "It is serious! This is the Tokyo earthquake!"
I felt "I may die".

the earthquake of this week and the earthquake of Hanshin are the same seismic intensity (shindo),but I felt "This is OK".
I hope that this time is not a precursor of next ones .

Back
Top Bottom