What's new

Student loans for international students?

GInkgoL3af

後輩
10 Sep 2013
Hey everybody, I'm going to be transferring full time to a Japanese university after my study abroad is over, and I was wondering if there's any way to get Student Loans from the Japanese gov't or somewhere? Currently my student loans from Canada only give me enough per semester to live off of. I will need help funding the roughly 4500$ per semester for tuition as well, but the max for student loans i get from canada is 5400$ per semester. I know I can apply for scholarships and hope for that best, but that is not realiable. Can anyone shed any light on this?

"Look into": examine, inquire about, investigate, research, educate one's self concerning a matter, determine plausibility or feasibility, etc.

*facepalm* I told you, the "student visa" I will be on is called a College Student Visa...Anyways, does anyone else have any info about student loans for international students?

Have you examined the requirements for a student visa? I don't know how much more simply I can phrase the question. Don't be a dumbass.

Have you examined the requirements for a student visa? I don't know how much more simply I can phrase the question. Don't be a dumbass.

Wow lol. I will be getting a COLLEGE VISA BECAUSE I WILL BE A REGISTERED STUDENT AT THE JAPANESE UNIVERSITY

THE VISA IS NOT A PROBLEM

Anyways man, we're done talking, your not listening. I'm asking about student loans so does anyone ELSE have anything to offer in terms of info?

So that's a "No", then.

You really ought to actually look into the requirements instead of just operating on the assumption you're eligible.

And you shouldnt operate on the assumption that i haven't looked into it

Given the nature of your inquiry, there is room for doubt, which is why I asked a question you are apparently too obtuse to understand.

I tried...

Given the nature of your inquiry, there is room for doubt, which is why I asked a question you are apparently too obtuse to understand.

I tried...

All i asked about was student loans for international students in Japan. You have not offered any help in that, so please, let's just end this and have you move on to another part of the forum

Wow lol. I will be getting a COLLEGE VISA BECAUSE I WILL BE A REGISTERED STUDENT AT THE JAPANESE UNIVERSITY

THE VISA IS NOT A PROBLEM

Actually, if finances are an issue, then the visa could be a problem. If you cannot demonstrate that you are able to pay your way, then you will NOT be able to get a visa. In all fairness, I have not seen this listed as a condition on MOFA pages or the Canadian Embassy page but as you go through the procedure, you need to show that you are able to pay your own way.

Some possible options are to look for financial support from 1) MEXT (scholarships) 2) through the university itself (and its network)- this is time consuming and jot hard to get information unless you have someone helping you from the university side in Japan 3) consider that if you are at a national university, you may be eligible for a tuition reduction (50%).

Hope that helps.

I wonder if she understands she won't be a registered student at a college unless the satisfies the visa requirements first? It is as if she thinks it works the other way around.

Since it hasn't been made explicitly clear yet - you can't get a student loan from the Japanese government.

I would agree with tomani's (2) - if you have an offer from a Japanese university already, you should contact them directly to ask about exact tuition costs (and any potential reductions), and scholarships available for foreign students (some many be local/specific), as well as costs outside tuition (typical costs for living in dorms/living out, recommended budget, etc - which will vary by location). Also think about "startup" costs (travel costs, deposit for your accommodation, whatever chunk of the tuition they want up front, etc).

As well as the university in Japan, the university you're attending in Canada probably has a person or persons who looks after scholarships/grants/etc who might be able to help with sources of travel/study abroad money on that side.

Back
Top Bottom