What's new

Typical age of Japanese university students?

labrat

後輩
16 Apr 2007
I'm currently 24 years old and considering enrolling in an international engineering program here in Sweden where you get to study at a Japanese university during the entire third year of the program. I'm a bit concerned about feeling like an old geezer though, since I'll be about 26-27 years old when it's time for the year abroad. Will there be other students about my age, or will I feel completely out of place as both an oldie and a foreigner?

there probably will be others your age, not many. but people can go to college at any age, as long as they finish high school or equivalent, dont worry dude, enjoy your college experience.

Yes, you will feel like an old geezer. There's nothing particularly wrong with that I guess, just understand that pretty much all of your peers will be several years younger than yourself. I'm still quite young and I feel like a geezer, especially with all these 新入生 (new students fresh out of high school) running around.

A couple of months ago, I read a similar thread. This person asked the same thing that he's afraid he would be considered old when in fact this person was 24 or something.

So, yeah, you will probably be slightly older than other students, but don't worry, many would not even notice. Be proud of your age. It is how old you act that matter, so just enjoy and don't worry about your age and you'll have a great time.

Best of luck,

Mauricio

Being older is good, since in japan the society is vertical (meaning a very strong superior / inferior relationship) your age will give you an advantage and japanese colleagues (or classmates) will treat you better. Plus you can get away more easily with being rude or demanding. Even though you are in the same school years as them you will be treated as a sempai. And thats good!

There are plenty of "older" foreign exchange students at my science university. They are all graduate students, but what the heck? You should be worrying more about language barrier.

yes, be proud of ur age, im 17 years old and i feel old T.T but dont worry all is gonna be all right.
good luck =)

jbsongaku and maushan3, i want to talk with u, how we can do it¿¿? pm plx

My teacher said that 21 is the maximum age for entering Tokyo University. Other universities doesn't have restriction though.

at Tohoku university here in Sendai there are plenty of "old" people in the exchange program, and they go out partying with the rest of the "young" guys all the time. After a certain age the difference doesn't really mater.
Go for it and enjoy every single moment of it.

I'm currently 24 years old and considering enrolling in an international engineering program here in Sweden where you get to study at a Japanese university during the entire third year of the program.

Is the third year in Japan actually assessed? Will you be expected to submit assignments / undertake examinations and take those credits back home with you to Sweden? Or are you basically going to be here for a year to study whatever you like, without any final grades.

Younger members might think I'm bonkers but most exchange students I met studying and working in UK universities for nine years between 1985-1994 were free to come and go as they pleased.

It would depend on the course (engineering probably rating a '1' through to English literature rating a '10' and indeed an * mark too) but I could envisage certain distinct advantages to NOT being a 21 year-old 'boy' studying at a Japanese 'co-ed' university.

I would apply for the course.

--

* - lucky SOB

Back
Top Bottom