What's new

Student Exchange

Kiyotsuki

後輩
27 May 2002
I'm really planning on becoming an exchange student in Japan next year, or the following (as soon as it becomes possible), but I don't know the first of it. I'm seriously looking foreward to going to Japan, and my main goal is to someday soon move there to live permanentally. Can someone tell me the ins and outs and all there is I need to know, or suggest any programs?

I am a 14 year old, 9th grade student in the U.S., if that helps, by the way.

Become forum dogs here ;)

Lots of good information.

It's really difficult to suggest anything since the topic is very wide and at times it'll depend on where you're going and what kind of family you're gonna stay with.

I won't sweat though.

Please post questions. Somebody will definitely help.

Hmm .. I'd start off with studying the language and reading books that are like introduction to daily life.

Ahh, a step ahead of you. I already import tons of things, study the language (on my own) and all of that. I just need to ask more specific questions, I see. ;)

I guess, to start things off: Are there any special programs? If so what would me my first step to finding or connecting with one locally (I live in the California Bay Area, if that helps)? Age limits, requirements and restrictions?

I hope these do any use.
If anyone can help me, I thank you in advance. 🙂

hmmm ... I guess I'd go to the Rotary or Lions clubs. Also, I remember some kind of program called, hmmm forgot. But it was some kind of exchange based through schools.

Age limits? I don't think so.
Requirements? Probably, just a strong interest in Japan.
Restrictions? lolol .... no drugs?

Since you're in the Bay Area, try also going down into Japan Town and asking around. Just watch for the double decker bridge. I'd hate to see you get sandwhiched.

:)

I have friends up in Walnut Creek and San Jose.

cheers

Have you tried AFS ?

I know that for most exchange programs the age limit is 18 and you'll attend highschool in the country were you go.

i'm 16, and interested in the same thing. go to www.twoworldsunited.com that's where i signed up for a summer exchange program for a month in june. I'm going next summer, if u are interested.

and be sure to study hard!

Originally posted by Megami
i'm 16, and interested in the same thing. go to www.twoworldsunited.com that's where i signed up for a summer exchange program for a month in june. I'm going next summer, if u are interested.

and be sure to study hard!

Its a shame that such things like that isnt available in the UK =(not to my knowledge anyways.
You lucky americans

Programs are everywhere, most of the good ones aren't advertised though. They go more by recommendations. That's how I got signed up for this 10-month thing I'll be doing next year.

If I were you I would ask around. I mentioned that I thought it would be fun to go to Japan to my principal one day because she called me to her office for some reason I can't even remember anymore. Anyway, three weeks later I was called in again- she nominated me for a program I didn't even know existed, and now I'm waiting for my exchange student to show up sometime in the next two weeks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you'll find options in the most bizarre places. Lots of school districts have things set up so, I'd look to see if your school has anything.

Good luck!

i relly would like to become an Exchange student, but i don't think they would take me, first of all i don't know even a little japanese nor do i know their customs, and im soon to be 18. the last thing is the gratest problem.

well you can still get programs that allow you to go when your over 18. there was a guy in my german class who went to germay on exchange the fall after he graduated. but school is probably your best bet as far as info on exchange you might wanna ask the head of the foreign language department as they tend to know more about these types of things, as well as the local rotary club.

Originally posted by Arch
Its a shame that such things like that isnt available in the UK =(not to my knowledge anyways.
You lucky americans

Of course they are. I know lots of such programmes all around Europe (AFS, Rotary, TWU...).

If you are under 18, take the chance to do it, it's worth it.
If you are a university student, Erasmus or Socrates exchange programmes are available at any EU university.

Originally posted by Maciamo
Of course they are. I know lots of such programmes all around Europe (AFS, Rotary, TWU...).

If you are under 18, take the chance to do it, it's worth it.
If you are a university student, Erasmus or Socrates exchange programmes are available at any EU university.

oooooo i dint know they was a such in available in britain, any idea's where i can get in touch? like a website your some thing.

Arch, you can't be better served, AFS's UK office is in your city, Leeds!

Leeming House
Vicar Lane
Leeds LS2 7JF
United Kingdom

http://www.afsuk.org/central.html

There are several Rotary Clubs in Leeds as well. Have a look at this list :

http://www.rotary.org/cgi-bin/rbox/List-Clubs.cgi?city=leeds

There are plenty more exchange programmes on the Yahoo UK listing : http://uk.dir.yahoo.com/education/programs/study_abroad/

Enjoy yourself !

Originally posted by Maciamo
Arch, you can't be better served, AFS's UK office is in your city, Leeds !

Leeming House
Vicar Lane
Leeds LS2 7JF
United Kingdom

Thanks alot my friend, a real help, lol i thought i knew just about every place in leeds, but i had no clue they was Afs's office in leeds! Thanks alot again! However it doesnt look like it offer's optitions to go to japan.

I went to Japan when I was 15 with a Japanese foreign exchange group, because our sister city was Shirane, now called Minami-Alps. It was an awesome experience, and I was studying for a year before I went over. Kinda helped with understanding, but the culture is what makes it my favorite place on earth. Study enough to get by on your own, like your name, where is the bathroom, and all of the essentials. You should learn Hiragana first, maybe Katakana, and some Kanji. But you don't really need to. Just helps. A lot!!!!!! See if any towns nearby have a withstanding relationship w/ a Japanese city. There are literally thousands upon thousands of sister cities all over the world. You should go with that group, seeing as though you probably shouldn't be on your own at your age. I had a blast 7 years ago at 15, my first trip to Japan. I have visited many times more, and it is extremely worth going at your age.

Originally posted by Kiyotsuki
I'm really planning on becoming an exchange student in Japan next year, or the following (as soon as it becomes possible), but I don't know the first of it. I'm seriously looking foreward to going to Japan, and my main goal is to someday soon move there to live permanentally. Can someone tell me the ins and outs and all there is I need to know, or suggest any programs?

I am a 14 year old, 9th grade student in the U.S., if that helps, by the way.

so u r jap born in us? well, if so u should be able to speak both jap and eng fluently u may have big possibility to become an english teacher in japan...

otherwise improve ur jap in us untill u get chance to go to japan as an exchange student. the important thing is that u learn it when u r younger.. so try hard now! GL.

ooh wow, this all sounds really interesting. I've always wanted to go to Japan also.. being an exchange student never crossed my mind though. does any1 know any more programs? like ones that they've personally participated in? Thanks, I'd really like to know also.

Your friendly Chamber of Commerce should no if your city has a sister city in Japan and who runs the trips (if any).

I went to my town's exchange program, as well as programs through my university. I stayed away from things like Rotary, Lions etc. mainly because they cost so much. I don't have any advice on which program is better than another.

A bit off-topic, I don't mean to nag, and I know it varies from region to region, but "jump" is usually not a polite term to use when talking about Japan or Japanese people.

Back
Top Bottom