What's new

Sake Bottle? Lots of translation help needed.

rrobertscv

後輩
18 Feb 2013
Hello All. I am a military collector and was given this bottle by a lady, she said her husband brought it home. I have been looking for help in translating the writing and images on it, and hoping to nail down a date for it. I want to thank everyone for any help in advance. I hope this link works for the pictures.

s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/rrobertscv/Bottle/?albumview=slideshow

It is a special production prepared for the 50th anniversary of something.
The mayor of the village has his name and title on it. Sonchou (mayor) Ikehara (his surname)
No village name is shown.
There is more, which I will leave for others to help with.

Town called "Kin" in Okinawa. In celebration of 50 years as an independent village. Shinzo Ikehara was mayor from 1936-1941.

Or this could be the wrong place....

Thanks for all the help. My plan is to make a 3x5 card with all this infformation so when I do a display in the local schools the kids can handle the bottle and read the card with the info this forum has provided.

The kanji in the circle is 萬歳 [banzai].

The seal on the bottom says the bottle is made of tin.

The problem with what I found is that if I have the right town (Kin had a mayor with the right name), then the years the mayor was in office don't seem to match up with the 50th anniversary of achieving any sort of status as a village, unless it was maybe something related to the creation of the Kin Elementary School in 1890 but which I find no specific mention of online (so far). The village was split off from another district in 1908, but that can't be what they're counting from as 50 years after that would be well after Ikehara was out of office, which is why I wonder if I have found the right place or not. Don't put anything on a card yet.

I am a military collector and was given this bottle by a lady, she said her husband brought it home.
When was this? From where exactly?

Any more background information?

The word in the square (in the upper left of the circled one) is a four-character idiomatic compound 一瀉千里 "isshasenri", which expresses "Things go in one breath" or "Speech/Writing is clear and fluent". (The second character is another form of 瀉.)

How about to ask Kin town about the bottle? You can see the mail address at the bottom of their home page.

Last edited:
Just to clarify.

金武Kin (very large stylized, in the big circle that has the 4 kanji on its upper left in a square)

市長Mayor
池原Ikehara (family name) 新蔵 Shinzou (given name)

But the "zou" part of Shinzou has some extra characters on the bottle, so is it really "zou", Mike?

Just a quick reference for those interested (based on the posts by Mike and Toritoribe)

[on on side]
一瀉千里 ...in a square
萬歳 ... in a oval

[on another side]
自治制五十周年
50th anniversary of autonomy
式典参列記念
commemorate the attendance to the ceremony
村長 池原新藏
Mayor (of village) Ikehara Shinzou

[on the bottom]
本錫 (tin)

Name of the town (which used to be a village) 金武 (Kin) is not found on the bottle.
But if you search on the net with the mayor's name and other words on the bottle as key words, you'll find a data book of Kin, in pdf format.

Wayback Machine

That's the source I used; the list of mayors is on page 129.

According to Wikipedia, Kin became a village in 1908, so if this is the right place it can't date from that. There were some earlier administrative redistricting activities going on which I haven't had a chance to check out yet, but it looks as though something may have happened around 1890, which would be the correct time frame to coincide with Ikehara's tenure.

That's 萬歳, as I wrote.
You said that was banzai. The kanji I chose (金武) is for Kin town, and I struggled to find how Mike knew that was the name. Reading that stylized script is hard for me, so 萬歳 means "banzai" in older script (compared to a modern version 万歳)?

is the traditinal form of .

Thanks. Even my wife had trouble with that (and most of the label). Too old for her.

You said that was banzai. The kanji I chose (金武) is for Kin town, and I struggled to find how Mike knew that was the name. Reading that stylized script is hard for me, so 萬歳 means "banzai" in older script (compared to a modern version 万歳)?

Thanks. Even my wife had trouble with that (and most of the label). Too old for her.

I just googled the mayor's name and title.

Back
Top Bottom