What's new

Quick way to study and learn kanji

K

kohlrak

Now this will help you learn the readings of the kanji individually.
Basically, what you do is pick a kanji (or more) you don't know (or plan to learn) and pick a particular reading, and come up with 10 different sentences to use that kanji in and write them down. And continue this, and after a week you should know that reading pretty darn well with that kanji. Actually, it won't even take that long. Took me 15 minutes to learn 寿天希 as すてき (female name).

In what anime is "Suteki" a woman's name?

Any Japanese female I know would die of mortal embarassment if saddled with that as a name.

enamdict said:
Suteki (f)

Because of that i attributed that name with a girl i know. X'D I choose not to learn names from anime. And why would they die of embarrasment?

Reminds me of a few months back when it was cooler an old man said that I had a 'suteki na jaketto'. I'm sure he was just trying to make conversation.

kohlrak said:
Now this will help you learn the readings of the kanji individually.
Basically, what you do is pick a kanji (or more) you don't know (or plan to learn) and pick a particular reading, and come up with 10 different sentences to use that kanji in and write them down. And continue this, and after a week you should know that reading pretty darn well with that kanji. Actually, it won't even take that long. Took me 15 minutes to learn 寿天希 as すてき (female name).

While I agree in part to your little system here, you might want to put a little disclaimer on all your pieces of advice saying that you're only a beginner too, otherwise people might take what you say as gospel, thinking that you've been doing this stuff for years. You'll be doing those people a great injustice otherwise, and in turn you will become the same as those incorrect Google websites that you fear so much.

This is a method of learning a meaning to a letter of a writing system. This tactic has not only worked with kanji, but other writing systems. I am a beginner to japanese, but i am not a beginner to writing systems.

Dude I wasn't criticizing your system here, just implying that it would be more responsible of you to admit to being a beginner when giving such advice.

kohlrak said:
Because of that i attributed that name with a girl i know. X'D I choose not to learn names from anime. And why would they die of embarrassment?

Good news on the anime. You do realize "suteki" is an adjective, right? Know the meaning, and you'll know the answer to your question.

Where'd you come up with that combination of kanji for it? I've never encountered the reading て for 天 before.

ROFL actually that's why i picked the name. I have the hots for the girl that i assigned the name to. And are you familiar with edict? There's a variation for names called enamdict... I don't know if it was written by the same source though.

kohlrak said:
And are you familiar with edict?

I happen to be a personal acquaintance of Jim Breen, the gentleman behind it. A finer fellow you'll never meet.

Probably because no one really uses the name... For the reasons mike specified.. lol It's probably based on the logic that almost every word happens to have a proper noun version it seems.

And you do, mike? Intresting. It's one of the few sources i put my full trust in. i have a program that uses a version of edict (and other databases that use the edict format stored in seperate files optionally used) stored on the computer to do a direct search.

Would you still put your full trust in it if you knew two of the entries were my submissions?

i don't know... i recognize your senority and the fact you live in japan, but based on another post on this particular forum, i would question if it was true or you put 2 antonyms in there for pure amusement to see people trust them. "love" and "hate" would be the ones i expect you to use.

My submissions were あおり and あていた. Due to the constraints of space, the definitions ended up leaving a bit to be desired.

EDICT

I don't see that i'll be using those terms anytime soon, anyway. X'D

kohlrak said:
This is a method of learning a meaning to a letter of a writing system. This tactic has not only worked with kanji, but other writing systems. I am a beginner to Japanese, but i am not a beginner to writing systems.
Have you ever learned a writing system with more than 60 characters? If it took you a week to remember 寿天希, how long will it take you to learn 5000 compounds?

JimmySeal said:
Have you ever learned a writing system with more than 60 characters? If it took you a week to remember 寿天希, how long will it take you to learn 5000 compounds?
I never said it took me a week. Im saying that by a week you should know the particular one you're lookin' at. I state that i learned 寿天希 in 15 minutes as suteki.
Does English count?
And mike's right on that note. the "space" is actually considered a character. The parenthesis are different. Capital and lowercase are considered separate. That's 56 right there... then you have punctuation... ', and ", and even - is used differently. that's 59, and then there are the 2 slashes / and \. That's 61, and that's all the further I'll go. Mike, learning it later in his life rather than early in his life, should be capable of providing a much better list than that in a shorter time.

If you study bushu and tsukuri properly, you should understand how to write a character just by looking at it (even the proper stroke order), and memorize it with a few minutes of practice.

Mike, learning it later in his life rather than early in his life, should be capable of providing a much better list than that in a shorter time.
Do you mean English? Mike is from the States.

Do you mean English? Mike is from the States.

He is? ok, anyone who is from japan should be able to compile a bigger list at a faster rate.

What makes you think so? I just asked two native Japanese studying English in the States, and their first answers were "26."

Back
Top Bottom