What's new

Post Japanese-related YouTube links here

Here is a video of Tachibana High School Marching Band performing at Disneyland. Their theme song is Sing, Sing, Sing, which they perform from 3:04.

Do you like J-Pop? Here is a video of a J-Pop making a surprise visit to a Japanese high school. (I don't follow J-Pop, so I don't know who this group is.) Watch the students' surprise as the all-female J-Pop suddenly appear on stage from 2:29. It's impressive to see how enthusiastically the J-Pop group is received by the students. (Does anyone know the name of this J-Pop group? AKB48?)

Do you like J-Pop? Here is a video of a J-Pop making a surprise visit to a Japanese high school. (I don't follow J-Pop, so I don't know who this group is.) Watch the students' surprise as the all-female J-Pop suddenly appear on stage from 2:29. It's impressive to see how enthusiastically the J-Pop group is received by the students. (Does anyone know the name of this J-Pop group? AKB48?)

Oh my goodness it's AKB48 😱😱😱😱😱😱 no wonder the students freaked out, WTH in a school

One of the "best-kept secrets" of Tokyo is that there is a huge, underground shopping mall below Tokyo Station.

@tokyopaul360 posted one about Tokyo Station here:

Precision 'marching' in suits and ties. The part from 1:49 to 2:15 is just amazing (and not for the faint of heart).

Shonan monorail. This is a good way to squeeze in another railroad into an area with no more space — put it above existing roads and sidewalks. (I don't think I have ever seen a monorail that hangs down from the track.)

Tokyo Tower is one of the best-known landmarks in Tokyo. It was built in 1958 as a TV and radio tower. It has two observation decks that give a great view of Tokyo. There is an observation deck at 492 feet (150 meters) and a second observation deck at 820 feet (250 meters) and both decks can be seen at 0:38. I highly recommend going up to the observation decks when you visit Tokyo.

Zojoji temple in Tokyo is near Tokyo Tower and is a large Buddhist temple, right in the heart of Tokyo. (It is amazing to see such an exquisite building and temple grounds in the middle of a high-density city like Tokyo.) Take a look at

7:50 torii over the street entrance

10:36 main gate

2:59 good view of Tokyo Tower in the background

I have posted this video before but I am posting it again because it uses Tokyo Tower and Zojoji Temple for the background views. Take a look from 1:59 at the views from the Zojoji Temple grounds, showing Tokyo Tower in the background. There is also a good view of the Zojoji Temple main building with Tokyo Tower in the background from 4:17.

Another reason to re-post this video is because this is probably the most popular video on Japan on YouTube, with more than 110 million views.

I am posting this video of a children's song because it is such a unique find. This song, about the last king of Hawaii, is well-known in Japan (it is a required song in Japanese elementary school music classes) but this song is unknown in Hawaii. (The video is in Japanese with no English sub-titles. There are subtitles, in hiragana and katakana, so this is good kana reading practice.)

(For those of you familiar with Hawaiian music, this song even includes a vamp (traditional end to a chorus in Hawaiian music).

Guru guru zushi ("rotating sushi" — conveyor belt sushi), also called kaiten zushi, is a fascinating way to eat sushi in Japan. The food passes in front of your seat on a conveyor belt and you take whatever you want to eat. Then the cashier charges you by counting how many empty plates you have. (Look at the stack of 22 plates the guy has at the end of the video.)

The way you get your green tea is also fascinating. Take a look from 0:23 and you can see how customers get hot water from a hot water faucet located at each seat at the counter, then adds green tea powder. (I remember one time eating at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant in Tokyo where I got actual green tea, not hot water out of the faucet.)

Last edited:
Here is a fun (and slightly voyeuristic) video of a camera riding the conveyor belt at a sushi restaurant in Taiwan. We even get to hear some Japanese. At 1:44 a Japanese girl says "Nani sore?" (What is that?) while looking at the camera.

Last edited:
Here is a fun (and slightly voyeuristic) video of a camera riding the conveyor belt at a sushi restaurant in Taiwan. We even get to hear some Japanese. At 1:44 a Japanese girl says "Nani sore?" (What is that?) while looking at the camera.

And at 4:33 there's a girl getting strangled.
1656726246978.png

Mount-Fuji-climbing-season has finally begun in Japan. (People are only allowed to climb Mount Fuji in summer because of snow during winter.)
The summit of Mount Fuji is 12,000 feet, which is a lot higher than most people realize.
There is a map at 2:45 in the video.
Most people do not climb Mount Fuji from bottom to top, they take a bus up to about half-way up the mountain, then hike the rest of the way. (But I once met a really hearty fellow who actually climbed the whole mountain from bottom to top.)
(I get tired just watching this video.)
Did you know there is a post office at the top of Mt. Fuji?

Last edited:
Japan is famous for its giant beetles. Take a look at 'rhinoceros beetles' from 4:59. Japan also has 'insect-watching events' — take a look from 6:12 for watching fireflies. Check out the singing insects being boxed and sold live from 8:07. I was amused by the special bags of fast-food you can buy for your pet insects, where they can choose their favorite flavors from pineapple, melon, or banana which can be seen from 9:33. Check out the greenhouse from 14:13 especially used to raise fireflies. The video also covers the eating of insects for food.

You can travel overnight on a sleeper train in Japan. Check out this train called the "Sunrise Express". Take a look at this passenger's very nice private sleeping room from 4:03.

Painful-looking 'pillow' used by geisha to keep their hairdos in place while sleeping. Watch from 3:19. (I wonder how historically accurate this is.)

The shortest airline flight in Japan is only six minutes! It is from Minami Daito to Kita Daito. These two islands are just east of Okinawa Island

The total flights in this video are Naha Airport, Okinawa — Minami Daito — Kita Daito — Naha Airport

The following is a link for the Google map for Naha Airport, Okinawa.

The following is a link for the Google map for Minami Daito Airport.

The following is a link for the Google map for Kita Daito Airport.

The actual six-minute flight starts at 11:30 in the video and ends at 17:57.

Here is a curious video of people getting off a boat and going ashore at one of the Daito Islands. At 13:32 passengers get into a 'cage' on the boat, a crane lifts the cage off the boat and onto the dock, and the passengers then get out of the cage, safely ashore at 14:29. (I certainly wouldn't want to do this in high winds.) From 25:52 we get a view from inside the cage of the airborne-action.

From 16:19 we get a view of the (cramped?) bunks for passengers on the ferry ship.

Last edited:
Painful-looking 'pillow' used by geisha to keep their hairdos in place while sleeping. Watch from 3:19. (I wonder how historically accurate this is.)

This video is the style of a geisha that the Chinese have imagined.
The hairstyle is not a Japanese hairstyle.
The pillows at that time were box pillows.
The sleeping style is also different.
They were sleeping sideways.

Back
Top Bottom