What's new

Possible? South Koreaツ wants to cut Japan trade gap

Astroboy

先輩
5 Dec 2007
South Korea's Lee wants to cut Japan trade gap
South Korea's Lee wants to cut Japan trade gap: report

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on Wednesday called for "fundamental measures" to reduce the country's chronic trade deficit with Japan.

The new SK government said that it has to find fundamental measures to overcome the trade deficit amounting to $30 billion annually with Japan.

South Korea, Asia's fourth-largest economy, had a trade surplus globally for the 10th year in a row last year but ran a $30 billion deficit with neighboring Japan.

South Korean manufacturers rely heavily on imports of Japanese machinery parts to produce goods ranging from ships and chips to home appliances and cars.

From Japanese perspective, his aim must be the mission impossible because:

1. Inside of Korean high-tech products are made-in-Japan.
2. Industrial structure of South Korea fully compete with Japan as it was based on Japan-model. Not complementary relationship, and not cheap cost, either.
3. Made-in-Korea is widely known among Japanese consumers as pirate copy of Made-in-Japan. So nothing unique to us.

Thus, my suggestion to the new Korean president is

1. Focus on more development of soap opera as Japanese Oba-san love it.
2. Block imports from Japan and accelerate R&D to develop Korean-original products.
3. Seek niche market of Zainichi-Koreans to establish success story in the market.

Are there any other suggestion for the new President Lee Myung-bak? 😊

The main issue is they lack ingenuity past ( looked up to China for sophisticated civilization ) & present ( models on modernized Japan for industrialization ).Unlike Japan could always carve out a path for herself from useful adopted foreign cultures.Japanese created two syllabary scripts based on Kanji,they developed Hangul with external help ( Chinese ).

I have to waiver my thoughts ( harsh unpleasant comments ) for now otherwise get banhammer.

I have to waiver my thoughts (harsh unpleasant comments ) for now otherwise get banhammer.

Come on! Tokapi. Don't hasitate. You can provide any solution about Korean strategy against Japanese market for New Korean President. 🙂

Japanese created two syllabary scripts based on Kanji,they developed Hangul with external help ( Chinese ).

No problem if some take the help of friends, all do and many times.
Also, the Kanji-reduced (because thats what it is) scripts cannot be seen without China's help, if you see it right ;-)

Only the Hangul was a more radical visual change, plus a lot easier, since most of the Korean people could not read the otherwise all in chinese written messages. To learn Hangul, was much easier. It had a simple practical reason.

Korean Yonhap News said Korean trade deficit with Japan surpassed USD5.1 billion for the first two months of 2008, up by 15.2% from the same period last year.
According to Korean government, it is not easy to reduce its chronicle trade deficit with Japan as South Korea heavily relies on Japanese technology and key parts for export to non-Japan countries....
http://japanese.yonhapnews.co.kr/economy/2008/03/14/0500000000AJP20080314001900882.HTML

Yes. It is not easy, I think.

Nowadays, Korean people feel that it is much more beneficial to have a trading partner with European countries or North American countries since Japan is much smaller country compared the size.

Back
Top Bottom