What's new

Please translate this colloquial japanese sentence

SomarRise

後輩
20 Dec 2021
What is this part saying?

I think he is referring to some youtuber named HetareBBoy, and that he doesn't like him for some reason...

00:16

みんなね、嫌いなユーチューバーて誰みたいな動画をあげてて、なんかウダウダ言って結局何か付箋にしたりピーとか入れたりするけど、俺はバッツリいます。

ヘタレビーボーイが嫌いでした。で、何で嫌いだったかっていうとなんかね…

うーん、何か胡散臭い!嘘くさい!

Yes, he didn't like HetareBBoy because he thought he was phoney, a liar.

Since he's using the past tense, it would appear that he no longer hates HetareBBoy.
Are you sure he's not talking about when he started hating HetareBBoy? The last sentence in present tense (something stinks, it's so fake) leads me to believe he's still not a fan.

And while we're at it we may as well get more learning out of this.
バッツリ seems to be slang for ばっちり but what is ピー in this context?

付箋にしたりピーとか入れたりする

It means when other commentators talk trash about youtubers they hate, they strikeout the names of their target, or they cover up the names with sound effects so as not to get into direct confrontation with them. Much like when people gossip about celebrities on chat shows, or use swear words, those names or words will be bleeped out. But this guy isn't resorting to such tricks. He's just coming out and saying who he hates.

Looks like "battsuri" is just another way of saying "bacchiri".

As for the past tense, it would be good to see the whole context so we'd know for sure. I don't think he'd say 嫌いでした if he still hated the guy. If he was talking about the trigger for his hating HetareBBoy, he would have said 嫌いになった or some other thing. Anyway, let's see if there's more context to be sure.

I would just like to add, here's two translations I received on other forums:

●Translation 1

When people talk about youtubers they hate in their videos, they always end up censoring their(youtuber's) names but I will make it clear who I hate.

I hate HetareBBoy, the reason is...I feel like...

He looks so shady! He looks like a liar!

●Translation 2

Many people, when they upload a video about YouTubers they don't like, they meander and in the end don't disclose the name or beep it, but I say it out loud. I hated HetareBBoy. If you ask me why I hated him, it's somehow like... Hmmm, he seems shady! Like a liar!

And if you ask five more people, you will get 5 more answers which are essentially the same as the above, but with slight stylistic variations.

Whether one translates the word 胡散臭い as fake, phony, shady, sketchy, suspect, or any other similar adjective, the essential meaning is the same: the guy is dodgy.

I am very grateful for all the replies received so far for this post.
The only part of this sentence that has been giving me the most confusion all day is, what does 付箋にしたり mean?
I haven't been able to find any information on 付箋 in any dictionary other than this meaning:
  1. sticky note; tag; slip; label; Post-it note
From the context in the excerpt, I can only assume 付箋 means: to censor; not disclose.

I will take your word for it on this definition.
I just wanted to know if you've found this listed like this on any website, be it english or in a japanese blog?
付箋 on
1. sticky note; tag; slip; label; Post-it note

There's usually blogs in japanese that go into further detail on terms and definitions and meanings and all that, like here

and here, but these japanese-only blogs are for 鉱脈

I have been frantically scouring the ends of the internet for any meanings to 付箋 other than the jisho.org or 付箋 - Wikipedia
but to no avail.
I have seen, over the years, terms which could use an update or additions to them on which are up till now nowhere to be found. This might be one of them too, I guess.

I would like to delete the above comment and close this thread. (keep it up just for viewing purposes to the general public)

I would like to delete the above comment and close this thread. (keep it up just for viewing purposes to the general public)
Why? I think you provided some good links and we may get some more responses. I also did a web search and found many references to digital sticky-note apps but nothing that refers to this particular use.

Well, I have already figured out the answer to this question through and through 100% no more explanation is necessary. (I asked this question on other forums and gathered all relevant information)

And the last comment from user "Majestic" was more than good enough.

This question is pretty much an open and shut case. All the answers have already been provided here, and anyone who is not at this level to understand the answers should probably not even be here and go back to take a refresher course on the many japanese lessons sites that exist.

I know I wouldn't deal with this question if it was too hard for me.

Well what's the answer then? You're saying that when they do something like this in a video it's 付箋にする?
1640125574756.png

It seems to me that the writer actually wanted to say 伏字にする, i.e., fuseji, not fusen, and they just misused it.

It's possible that other interpretations are given even if you think all the answers have already been provided. I believe it's useful not to close this thread.

It seems to me that the writer actually wanted to say 伏字にする, i.e., fuseji, not fusen, and they just misused it.

It's possible that other interpretations are given even if you think all the answers have already been provided. I believe it's useful not to close this thread.
Haha that could be. There have been many times where I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure something out only to find out it was a typo by the original writer.

I hope this thread continues to be used as a reference for any learners and students of languages. I enjoy open ended discussions like this that allow for free thought and debate.

The reason why I think it's 伏字, not 付箋, is because the expression する is used there. 付箋にする is not entirely wrong, but 付箋をする or 付箋を貼る is far more common. On the other hand, 伏字にする works perfectly fine in the context as the written text version of ピーを入れる, which is for oral utterance.

Back
Top Bottom