What's new

Please help me find the correct Japanese phrase

Simone_Yuki

Registered
8 Apr 2016
Hi! This is my first post here. I've been Googling this phrase, trying to search it, even went to Yahoo Questions but didn't get my question answered.

So I want to know how to say "I'm/we're in the same boat as you", or "I'm facing the same problem". There was one phrase that I found, which was 私たちは運命共同体です. But I don't think it fits what I'm looking for. This phrase is more like 'we share the same fate', which is overstating. I was thinking more along the lines of, for example, your friend failed an exam and is upset about it. You also failed, then you say to them "I'm in the same boat". Correct me if I'm wrong though.
It could also be that a Japanese person would use a different phrase in this kind of situation, something simple like "Its the same for me". Could you please help me find the right way to say it? :)

If it helps, I actually want this phrase for a manga I'm drawing. I'm writing it in Japanese to help me practice my skills. So the story is that its basically a Saw-like situation (without the violence lol) where a bunch of people wake up in a room with no idea how they got there. They start to blame each other until they find out that they all have no idea how they got there or why they are there. So one person says to another "Calm down, we're in the same boat here". So yeah, I'm not sure the best way to say that.

呉越同舟 describes the situation. Whether anybody would actually know or say it is another matter.

I'd use みんな同じ目に遭っている

呉越同舟 describes the situation. Whether anybody would actually know or say it is another matter.

I'd use みんな同じ目に遭っている
Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for :) I did see that first phrase online and I agree that it wasn't something they would say, but it definitely fitted the situation.

一蓮托生
同じ穴の狢(むじな)
Thank you for these phrases. I don't think they're exactly what I'm looking for in terms of dialogue, but they are similar and its always good to learn more.

I'd use みんな同じ目に遭っている
Would you mind elucidating in using 目 here? I get the gist of it but why it specifically.

Thanks!

Would you mind elucidating in using 目 here? I get the gist of it but why it specifically.

Thanks!

I haven't a clue. It is just an idiomatic usage that I picked up from daily life and never gave any thought to.

My poor much lamented mother-in-law once summed up the experience of a sudden miscarriage while working in a rice field with えらい目に遭った.

Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for :) I did see that first phrase online and I agree that it wasn't something they would say, but it definitely fitted the situation.
Hmm, 呉越同舟 sounds like the speaker is stating "we are enemies with each other" to me. This four-character idiom also came to my mind first, but I hesitated to post it since it inescapably connotes this meaning. 一蓮托生 doesn't have these kind of nuance, so how about 落ち着け。俺たちは一蓮托生の関係なんだから。?

The first thing that occurred to me is お互い様. Maybe not appropriate here but I just thought I'd mention it.

I haven't a clue. It is just an idiomatic usage that I picked up from daily life and never gave any thought to.
I also picked up this phrase somehow a long time ago and I have story about it. About 15 years ago when I met a lot of my in-laws at my mother-in-laws death anniversary somehow the conversation turned to the war and my wife's uncle was telling about some experiences he had including seeing bodies floating in the Sumida River, bodies piled up with eyes open, etc. What can one say? My ability was limited then (as it is now) so I empathetically said something like 大変な目にあいましたね.
He had just spoken about the bodies & the dead eyes staring out so he made it into a sick pun since he had literally seen a terrible eye... it brought some laughter (this was during the eating/drinking part of the day) and the moment passed but I never forgot it.

Hmm, 呉越同舟 sounds like the speaker is stating "we are enemies with each other" to me.
Agreed.

ごえつどうしゅう【呉越同舟】
bitter [mortal] enemies in the same boat
両軍メンバーが呉越同舟で同じバスに乗った
The members of the two opposing teams got into the same bus.

いちれんたくしょう【一蓮托生】
【例文】
死ぬも生きるも一蓮托生だ
Live or die, we are prepared to share the same fate.
この核時代に人類は言わば皆一蓮托生だ
In this nuclear age, all human beings are, so to speak, in the same boat.
出典:プログレッシブ和英中辞典

マンガは見たい!
You should share your manga with us! I'm into drawing too, we could exchange some ideas.

マンガは見たい!
You should share your manga with us! I'm into drawing too, we could exchange some ideas.

Over the many years I have been on this site we have helped many people who have said they were writing something, many of them quite extensively. If any of them have ever shared (or completed) their work, I have no recollection of it.

Over the many years I have been on this site we have helped many people who have said they were writing something, many of them quite extensively. If any of them have ever shared (or completed) their work, I have no recollection of it.
awn, that's so sad! If I ever write something in Japanese I'll surely share with you guys then :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom