What's new

Please check my sentences

Originally posted by SkaKid0911
今日は度もありがとう。(Domo arigatou, I'm not sure if that is the right way.)

Close. The only thing is that "domo" is どうも. I am pretty sure that this word cannot be shortened like ありがと (from ありがとう) and さよなら (from さようなら), but I am not entirely sure. One thing about which I am sure, though, is that the kanji 度 is not used in the writing of the word. Other than that it is fine (one other note, though, I believe that konnichiwa is written in hiragana more often than not, because when written in kanji it can be read きょう).

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Yes, Kon is a shortened kono and essentially refers to "this" in a temporal as opposed to spatial sense, so from "this day" -->> "hello/how are you?"

Hmm, I see and understand that logic, but I am not so sure that I agree. I will tell you how I see it. The kanji 今 means "now" in most circumstances, and can be read コン. From there it seems logical to me to say that "today" could be thought of as "now day". It just depends on how you want to look at it. The reason I disagree, however, lies more in the fact that (also written 此れ, as shown in the definition, meaning "this") is a Japanese word, and 此の is a Japanese word, but 此ん is not. Therefore, there seems to be no etymological evidence of your claim (of course, it could be there and I just do not know about it. It is not like that has not happened before. If you know of it, please let me know, as I would be interested in reading about it).

Originally posted by SkaKid0911
Ok, thank you. I'd never seen konnichi written in kanji so I didn't know they were 2 different kanji. I just noticed now in my IME if I type konnichiha then i can choose the kanji.
今日は
度もありがとう。(Domo arigatou, I'm not sure if that is the right way.)
Arigatou's kanji : (which you'll only come across maybe 15-20% of the time but is still important to know) 有難う (ari = be, exist, have, life ; gato = difficult). 'Life is hard' to imi desune....

Back
Top Bottom