What's new

NTT DoCoMo to Introduce SO212i phone

lineartube

free spirit
29 Oct 2002
NTT DoCoMo that the company will market a new compatible i-Mode handset, dubbed SO212i, beginning November 9, 2002.

The phone is equipped with a 2.0-inch, 65,536 color display and jog-dial, which, in combination with the function, enables easy text input.

Users can lock the mova SO212i remotely by calling the handset from a pre-designated phone. This function is convenient if the user accidentally forgets the handset and wants to prevent unknown parties from operating it.

The mova SO212i can also be programmed to automatically notify the user, via alarm or on-screen icon, when communications charges have reached their limit.

The phone comes with three interchangeable covers for a variety of colors.

The new handset will be marketed through all DoCoMo sales channels. The retail price is open (not fixed). The standard accessory kit, including a battery pack, AC adapter and desktop holder, costs 7,900 yen.

For handset specifications, please refer to the attachment.

Attachment
Specifications of mova SO212i

Height x width x thickness (folded) 95 x 47 x 26 (mm)
Weight Approx. 120g
Continuous stand-by time Approx. 440 hours
Continuous talk time Approx. 150 minutes
Data transmission speed 9,600 bps
Colors Graphite Black
(Interchangeable Covers: Cardinal Red, Deep Blue, Urban Grey)
Frost Silver
(Interchangeable Covers: White Mist, Tender Pink, Pale Aqua)

source: Mobile News - Latest news from the world of mobile

Attachments

• so212i.gif
    so212i.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 196
I don' t think Docomo has successfully penetrated the American market yet, but I might be wrong...

It's true that NTT DoCoMo uses WCDMA while the baby Bells and other American Carriers use mostly the 1xRTT, but by the end of the year... if you live in Dallas, Seattle, San Diego or San Francisco.

AT&T Wireless and NTT DoCoMo recently announced the four major U.S. markets in which the companies will first deploy and launch WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple band Access) networks, employing the standard favored by European operators. Should promises hold true, fully operational WCDMA networks will be up and running in four major U.S. cities by the end of 2004.

AT&T readies U.S. WCDMA rollout
By: Jテクrgen Sundgot, Tuesday 7th January 2003, 12:08 GMT

in Steroids For Sale in USA Online

Originally posted by lineartube
It's true that NTT DoCoMo uses WCDMA

Only the FOMA range uses wcdma, the rest of the network uses PDC and it is still possible to purchase PHS phones. There is also cdmaone in Japan.

Most of the rest of the world uses GSM (especially in Europe - the article you quoted is actually incorrect) but as soon as 3G desends on us completely, wcdma will be used.

It is possible to purchase tri-band phones that work in Japan and elsewhere, however, check your contract carefully as you don't want to be hit with roaming charges when you are in your home country.

I'm hearing "The 3G is coming!", "The 3G is coming!" shout for almost 2 years now, and it was been delayed over and over. Right now I only have 2,5 G and I'm satisfied for now.

To give you an example on how nuts are Portuguese about cell-phones, there some numbers released in the last two weeks that shows that in a population of 10 million people, there are 9,5 million active cell-phones. Of course some people have more than 2-3 phones (personal, office and so on) but having one is quite popular... and handy. Besides, most of them are heavily subsidized by the carriers.

*edit: wow... a butterfly has entered my room through an open window.

👍

Back
Top Bottom