Not sure what の means in this sentence

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
At the end of this sentence is ( の )。

He often listens to soul music.

彼はソウルミュージックをよく聞くの

also does ( yoku kiku ) often listen too...

thanks

Yes it means "often listen" in this context. In other contexts it could be "listen well."

This looks like the so-called explanatory の. It's used at the end of a sentence to give a sort of explanation. There's no real equivalent in English.
You can consider it with other end-of-sentence particles such as よ and ね to think about what they all do .
It's also used by a questioner when they are curious or are asking for an explanation. Example:

なぜなっとうがきらいなの?
くさっているくつしたのにおいのようなの

Yes it means "often listen" in this context. In other contexts it could be "listen well."

This looks like the so-called explanatory の. It's used at the end of a sentence to give a sort of explanation. There's no real equivalent in English.
You can consider it with other end-of-sentence particles such as よ and ね to think about what they all do .
It's also used by a questioner when they are curious or are asking for an explanation. Example:

なぜなっとうがきらいなの?
くさっているくつしたのにおいのようなの
Thank you mdchachi

This の at the end of the sentence also appears as ~のだ / ~んだ, and serves the same purpose of asking for or providing an explanation:

よく聞くの? is casual for よく聞くのですか which can contract (without losing politeness) to よく聞くんですか
よく聞くの can be a casual statement as an answer. よく聞くのだ and よく聞くんだ are also casual (because they end in the plain form) but feels maybe a bit more masculine or forceful. よく聞くのです and よく聞くんです are the more formal ways to say this. I think ~の is a tiny bit more formal than ~ん since the latter is a phonetic contraction so a little more colloquial.

Honestly, I use this pattern a lot when I speak, because it makes it easy to speak in the plain form and not worry too much about conjugation, but also make it more polite if necessary by just throwing です on the end of the sentence ;)

This の at the end of the sentence also appears as ~のだ / ~んだ, and serves the same purpose of asking for or providing an explanation:

よく聞くの? is casual for よく聞くのですか which can contract (without losing politeness) to よく聞くんですか
よく聞くの can be a casual statement as an answer. よく聞くのだ and よく聞くんだ are also casual (because they end in the plain form) but feels maybe a bit more masculine or forceful. よく聞くのです and よく聞くんです are the more formal ways to say this. I think ~の is a tiny bit more formal than ~ん since the latter is a phonetic contraction so a little more colloquial.

Honestly, I use this pattern a lot when I speak, because it makes it easy to speak in the plain form and not worry too much about conjugation, but also make it more polite if necessary by just throwing です on the end of the sentence ;)
Thank you for your detailed explaination. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom