What's new

Obsolete New "English language" quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maciamo

先輩
17 Jul 2002
Check the quizz section. I've just added it for your enjoyment (and education )

You just delight in stumping us, don't you, Maciamo?! :D

5 out of 10...oh, the shame... :eek:

Don't worry, others will do worse. :p

Last edited:
Originally posted by Maciamo
Don't worry, other will do worse. :p

lol, like me! I scored an impressive 10% ! But this seems more focused on the history of english language... I was expecting it to be a little more about grammer and vocab! but I'm sure I'd get 10% on either one! =P

How could I possibly test 500.000 words + grammar in 10 questions ? Most people here are native speakers anyway, so it wouldn't be fair for others (like me 😭 ). If you wanna test your voc and grammar try TOEFL, TOIEC or Cambridge tests (they can be tough even for natives, as 20% of Brits failed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam for non-native speakers !).

actually ive read that there were more than 1,000,000 words inthe english language. and growing everyday since people keep making words up and importing others.

Originally posted by Maciamo
How could I possibly test 500.000 words + grammar in 10 questions ? Most people here are native speakers anyway, so it wouldn't be fair for others (like me 😭 ). If you wanna test your voc and grammar try TOEFL, TOIEC or Cambridge tests (they can be tough even for natives, as 20% of Brits failed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam for non-native speakers !).

I'm not suggesting that you should have tested in vocab in grammer, I'm just merely saying your quiz was only history related. =P Still, it was quite challenging. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed my score!

Originally posted by jeisan
actually ive read that there were more than 1,000,000 words inthe english language. and growing everyday since people keep making words up and importing others.

My sources are from Cambridge University. They said there are at least 500.000 words, but this is already huge and includes probably half of scientific names (all animals, plants, virus, medicine, minerals, stars names, etc.) and old words from previous centuries (but not "Anglo-saxon", though, as it was another language, even if it's also called Old English).

As the average native speakers only know about 10 to 15.000 words and university educated people could hope for 20 to 25.000 and linguistics and English specailists (including the best writers) between 30 and 60.000 words, 500.000 or 1 million words doesn't make much difference as anyway nobody will ever know more than 10% of them. Thus I don't think new words that appears every year (a few hundred or thousands at best, worldwide) make a big difference.

Maciamo said:
...as 20% of Brits failed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam for non-native speakers !
That is sad. Does that mean nonnative speakers should play dumb to sound like a genuine native speaker ? :D

quizz section has been gone for a couple of years now, it never reappeared after an upgrade. this is a really old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom