What's new

New forum style

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Some of you might have already seen it, but we have a new forum style. In the near future the other forum styles will disappear, so please check out the new forum style and give your opinion. It will probably not change a lot anymore, but feedback is always great.

when you scroll down you will see a selection button on the left side, where you can choose Jref Tatami, Jref 100% and the new one "Jref test".

The new forum style is good,you can say it fits japan flag ( red and white ).
but red color with gray is not recomended ( personal opinion only ).
I prefer ( Jref ) forum style.
Thanks alot for the new update.

Out of all the choices, the original JRef is still the best:

The table format is centered, which makes for easier reading
The color is soft and mellow-toned, making it easy to look at the site as a whole.
The original width is much better than the 100% option - sort-of like the difference between a document with or without a WordWrap function.

Though the original style may have been used for a long time, it's still a great style.

Still would be nice to have the 100% option. Not everyone has a widescreen.

Else, the new style looks ok to me.

I like the original style, too: Centered for easier reading and softer tones for greater visibility.

The new style moves everything to the left end of my widescreen monitor, and the 100% setting is too wide to read at 22-inch..., but maybe it's just me. 😌

Last edited:
Out of all the choices, the original JRef is still the best:
The table format is centered, which makes for easier reading
The color is soft and mellow-toned, making it easy to look at the site as a whole.
The original width is much better than the 100% option - sort-of like the difference between a document with or without a WordWrap function.
Though the original style may have been used for a long time, it's still a great style.

I agree. Frankly, the new one is how to put it? Shite?
If its not broken, don't fix it.

UGH ! Don't do away with the 100% !

I find I need the 100% with my tired old eyes. I still miss the green colors and tones.

Uncle Frank

:(

That's too bad that you are getting rid of the others. I like the Tatami color scheme the best. :( The color red makes me want to.... CHARGE!!!

That's too bad that you are getting rid of the others. I like the Tatami color scheme the best. The color red makes me want to.... CHARGE!!!

I hear you, mate. I have always liked the tatami style best, but when I tried to implement it as default style, I was inundated with complaints.

The 100% style is not in question here, it will be deleted once we switch over to the new default style. The new style will have a fixed width of 870px. Believe it or not, but only 5% of our users still use a screen resolution of 800x600 or lower.

Is it possible to bring in the new default style but keep the tatami style for those of us who like it? I have been using the tatami style now for at least 2 years.

Do you really have to delete old (or "original") style at all??
The new one does really hurt my eyes!!!
Sorry to say this, but honestly I hate it.
(If you have to switch to the new style, at least please make the red much darker.)

It would be good to add something new, but I don't see the reason the present tyle should be deleted...
:(:(:(

I just Tried the Tatami Style and i like it so much,
I put it the default style ^^

(If you have to switch to the new style, at least please make the red much darker.)
Yes i think so.

The new one does really hurt my eyes!!!
Sorry to say this, but honestly I hate it.
It would be good to add something new, but I don't see the reason the present tyle should be deleted...
:(:(:(
Same here.

Please provide a "yuusen seki" for us hard-working, tired old eyes... :(

The new one does really hurt my eyes!!! Sorry to say this, but honestly I hate it. (If you have to switch to the new style, at least please make the red much darker.) It would be good to add something new, but I don't see the reason the present tyle should be deleted...

I just Tried the Tatami Style and i like it so much, I put it the default style ^^ Yes i think so.

Same here. Please provide a "yuusen seki" for us hard-working, tired old eyes...

Thanks for your frank feedback, it is much appreciated.

The main idea of revamping the site is to "streamline" it in order to facilitate future updates. Maintaining just one style is easier than providing a variety of different styles. However, in the light of your feedback, I'm thinking of this: in addition to the new red default style I will update the tatami theme (softer colours, larger fonts, but with a page width of 870px) and offer it as a secondary style.

Thanks for your frank feedback, it is much appreciated.

The main idea of revamping the site is to "streamline" it in order to facilitate future updates. Maintaining just one style is easier than providing a variety of different styles. However, in the light of your feedback, I'm thinking of this: in addition to the new red default style I will update the tatami theme (softer colours, larger fonts, but with a page width of 870px) and offer it as a secondary style.

I'm confused why you seem so adamant about ditching everything (though now you've made a concession for Tatami) in favor of something that has had nothing but a negative reception so far.

I'm going to agree with what others have said, in that the red colors and off-center layout are very offputting. I like the current blue default, but anything's better than the new JREF Test. As a fellow web developer, I can't imagine it would be too hard to adapt the current system to have one layout, but support a few different color schemes.

I'll set myself on fire if you touch the current theme... ok lol, thats a joke, but still. The current is the best theme.

I like the new Test, if it becomes the new format you'll hear no complaints from me.
It looks sharper, more modern, each individual post stands out more thanks to the red bars. I like that they're a darker crimson red rather than a bright red.

The text (as it shows up on my computer anyway) is also a little thinner, finer, I like it.

I second bakaKanadajin's comments in that I do like the "new test" format as it does stand out. If it does become the norm, please make it 100%. I was 100% sold on the original format and disliked the others, but this new one is very appealing and soothing to th eyes.

I also like the new feature at the bottom listing "similar threads" as that may help some new comers find the answer they are looking without starting a whole new thread.

Great work on continually improving the forum!

Thanks for your positive feedback. After the predominantly negative reactions to the test style I have centered the basic layout and changed the purple to crimson red. I am thinking of keeping the "tatami scheme" as well as the current "blue default scheme" as alternative styles, they will be adapted to the new 870px format however.

Change doesn't come easy.:)

Thanks for your positive feedback. After the predominantly negative reactions to the test style I have centered the basic layout and changed the purple to crimson red. I am thinking of keeping the "tatami scheme" as well as the current "blue default scheme" as alternative styles, they will be adapted to the new 870px format however.

Change doesn't come easy.:)

Thanks, Admin! The colors are much better (darker) and the thread titles seem to stand out better. Centering, too!

Just a note to inform you that the tatami scheme appears too bright for me personally--probably because of the kind of vision problem I have. Still, the black font on pale green/yellow background certainly makes the print stand out and might help many who prefer the yellow-black contrast.

Also, thank you for keeping the current default. It'll take time for many of us to get used to the switch. :)

Back
Top Bottom