I have installed a new vB-based chat system here at the forum. It features:

• vBChat Page
    • Shows all messages
    • Shows users currently in the chat
    • User can edit there user status in the Chat User Preferences page
    • Click usersname to auto add /msg [username] into post field
    • /me" is also available to be used
    • "/msg [USERNAME] msg here" command added
    • Auto scrolling to bottom of page (If msg's set to latest at bottom)
    • User can input a message that will be displayed with the auto responder
    • User can select if the auto responder is on or off

• vBChat User Preferences Page
    • Ability to choose desired font color when posting in the chat
    • Ability to choose desired font face when posting in the chat
    • Ability to ignore as many user's as desired in the chat
    • Ignore users will not display any messages by those users specified on the Chat page
    • The inputs for ignoring users are "Auto Creating", baisically when you have filled all the inputs in, 2 more will automatically create to allow the user to input more users without having to submit and reload the page, the inputs are added aslong as the rest are filled in. This requires javascript to be enabled, but it is compatible in IE/FireFox/Netscape

Etc, etc, ...

The forum index page will display who is currently in the chat. Let me know what you think (just click the "Chat" link in the top menu - a new window will open, JavaScript needs to be enabled).

Enjoy. :)

when I click on the link I get a new window opening and then, a blank page.

I'm using winXP and the Firefox 1.03 and I do have Javascript enabled.

Hi Luis,

I assume that you are using the "vB Blue" style (style ID1). I just found out that the chat templates have not been imported into that style. Will see what I can do.

The chat seems to work on all the other styles, I have just checked on Firefox 1.03 w/ XP Prof.

😌

Update: vB Blue works too. Let me know if you still experience problems. Thanks for the heads-up!

lineartube said:
Works fine, now. You did something?
Just added some missing templates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

how long will the discussion stay up there, like forever or to a certain size/time limit?

BrennaCeDria said:
Okay, just curious, but why, half the time, when I'm typing is the spacebar acting like "Enter"?
Sorry, I couldn't reproduce this error.

also you could have possibly hit the "tab" button or in some other way changed focus to the "send" button in which case the space bar acts as the enter button, i use it it quite abit on the forums when doing quick replies

The chat is good... execpt for one thing. On the last chat, everytime someone came in there was a "WELCOME" voice. And I usally do other things when I'm waiting for someone to come into the chat, I don't know if someone else came in when i'm doing other things...

So to sum it up, can you put in a sound that indicates that someone came in...

Might Be My Age, But......

it seems the old chat had more to offer and was more user friendly. Hard to get use to new things for me I guess.

Frank

Great that it has improved....I haven't tried the new chat, as I can see no one is the chat room..When is people in there anyway??? Maybe when it is night time here in Denmark and I am sleeping I guess...When I am logged in at JRef, NO ONE is in the chat.

Strange ??

BrennaCeDria said:
Okay, just curious, but why, half the time, when I'm typing is the spacebar acting like "Enter"?

The first time I used the chat, no problem. Today I tried it and the spacebar acts as enter also? I have IE6 for a browser. I ended up having to use "-" as a spacer between words.

Frank

:?

It has done this to me as well. Suddenly you start posting one word messages. Thought it was me to begin with. :?

Frank D. White said:
The first time I used the chat, no problem. Today I tried it and the spacebar acts as enter also? I have IE6 for a browser. I ended up having to use "-" as a spacer between words.

Frank

:?

Lottsa folks actually configure the spacebar to act as an "enter" command in some programs. I use it like that on AutoCAD all the time. It can take you by surprise if your not used to it!

But - it shouldn't do it if you're typing in actual text !

Regards,

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

great chat,, just nobody is on it yet... ... what about, when somebody type a message, and the screen is not on the foreground but on the background you can hear a BEEP... ( bit like msn...) or do i say something stupid now..... LOL

dang... this probably long gone. Would be nice if it was up again in my opinion. Yeah could chat with someone personally or through threads, but having an actual chat would be good. I think the only problem is besides moderators, a lot of people aren't on here. But I know, there is literal sites that get bank off of just being a chat site.

dang... this probably long gone. Would be nice if it was up again in my opinion. Yeah could chat with someone personally or through threads, but having an actual chat would be good. I think the only problem is besides moderators, a lot of people aren't on here. But I know, there is literal sites that get bank off of just being a chat site.
Yes this is an Internet backwater now and you need some critical mass of participation for something like this to work.

I agree with @mdchachi. We simply do not reach as many people anymore as we did 10-15 years ago. Also, I think that chat systems syphon off a lot of participation and content from the main site. I remember - and I am sure @Uncle Frank knows better - that we had regular JREF chat meetings off-site (on IRC or some other system), mainly organised by the 日本語 crowd.

In a way , private messaging is a type of chat , but I have no clue how much it gets used. There seems to be a lot of anger & hate in todays world and I can see chat getting out of hand and being a pain to monitor . I feel a bit guilty when I chat in the middle of a thread now days , but I'm happy to see any type of activity also.

Back
Top Bottom