What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

New chat on JREF

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with @mdchachi. We simply do not reach as many people anymore as we did 10-15 years ago. Also, I think that chat systems syphon off a lot of participation and content from the main site. I remember - and I am sure @Uncle Frank knows better - that we had regular JREF chat meetings off-site (on IRC or some other system), mainly organised by the 日本語 crowd.

I think that forums are considered old and archaic by many younger people. I notice that certain types of groups still use them heavily however most of the participants are passed a certain age threshold. I still am on IRC fairly often as well, but not as much as I used to be.

Personally, I can't really stand Facebook and the like. Too many loud idiots and they gain more attention than they should. It seems like Facebook is a place where people turn their brains off. :/ Also not a fan of Twitter, just another platform for loud idiots to spout stuff.

Sorry, just in a bit of a grumpy mood thinking about it.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Personally, I can't really stand Facebook and the like. Too many loud idiots, and they gain more attention than they should. It seems like Facebook is a place where people turn their brains off. :/ Also not a fan of Twitter, just another platform for loud idiots to spout stuff.

I have to admit that I started following a few Japan-related FB groups for inspiration and stimulation ("Return to Japan", "Japanese Castles", "Building and Renovating a House in Japan", etc.). They are quite informative but not really communicative, and it's quite cumbersome to discover content and historical posts. While perceived as archaic by some, I believe that social media will never completely replace fora. The chatter may have wandered off, but private fora will remain islands of independence, special interest and camaraderie in an ocean controlled by an unhealthy oligarchy of tech giants.

Here's to the next 20 years. :) 🥂

mdchachi

Reaction score
Facebook is a huge tent with many different groups. I've used it successfully for special interest groups, most of which I've abandoned after the need is over. For example, taking a cruise for a particular sailing date or about a particular ship. Or a group for Alaska travel. But there is a lot of crap in there as you say, especially the larger groups.
I use twitter mainly to get ideas and content to post on TikTok which I just started six months ago. It's just an outlet to post political commentary. I don't post my face, just other memes or quick videos I can put together while laying in bed to show how idiotic the political class in America is. Especially the insurrectionists.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I find myself joining closed groups on Facebook which seem much better at blocking out haters & trolls and idiots. I use several closed law enforcement and military and gun owners groups. There are a few military intelligence groups that keep me up on the latest intel on what China & Russia & North Korea are up to. Info on the latest use of satellites by countries around the world and how they will be used in and future wars is pretty interesting stuff to have access to. Even though my security clearance is almost 50 years old , the Navy sites allowed me in. My high school class of 1968 has a group so we can keep in touch with old friends (still alive) , LOL. The little village where I lived and grew up (1950-1964) even has a Facebook group to keep in touch. I spend 8 to 12 hours a day on Facebook and don't get too bored.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I find myself joining closed groups on Facebook which seem much better at blocking out haters & trolls and idiots. I use several closed law enforcement and military and gun owners groups. There are a few military intelligence groups that keep me up on the latest intel on what China & Russia & North Korea are up to. Info on the latest use of satellites by countries around the world and how they will be used in and future wars is pretty interesting stuff to have access to. Even though my security clearance is almost 50 years old , the Navy sites allowed me in. My high school class of 1968 has a group so we can keep in touch with old friends (still alive) , LOL. The little village where I lived and grew up (1950-1964) even has a Facebook group to keep in touch. I spend 8 to 12 hours a day on Facebook and don't get too bored.
If any of those groups happen to include people bragging about attacking the United States Congress, the FBI is still looking for tips. https://twitter.com/fbi

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I get posts everyday from the FBI page with pictures of people they are hunting. I think I follow about 15 law enforcement pages to keep up with the latest crime activity. There are Facebook pages for the CIA ,NSA. DOJ, FBI and several others and many military pages to keep up with what's going on all over the world. I don't even watch the news on TV anymore , LOL. As much as I hate Facebook censorship , it keeps my mind occupied , LOL.

Top Bottom