What's new

JREF Earthquake/Tsunami Donations

I have noticed that there are many websites cropping up by those outside of Japan wishing to host Japanese families or individuals who would like to leave during this crisis. Is there an organization inside of Japan who is supporting these efforts? And is this a real need at this point in the minds of Japanese citizens?

"earthday money" is calling for "homestays for earthquake evacuees"
http://earthdaymoney.org/topics_dt.php?id=390 (in Japanese)
http://earthdaymoney.org/topics_dt.php?id=391 (in English)

edit: Sorry, the above is only for the "homestays" within Japan.

I do not think majority of people want to go abroad - the situation is not that bad (i.e. the whole Japan is too dangerous to live, etc.).
When this kind of disaster happened, people feel insecure in the circumstances that every single thing around them was damaged/changed/lost. From the past experience such as the big earthquake in Kansai reagion, experts say it is essential for the people to be together (not that they should live together in one building, but to be around) - to see the neighbours they used to see, to have people who had the same experience around, to talk about it and share it on the same ground.
Language barrier, different culture, different food can be hard on them, especially elderly people.

That said, there are some people (especially young families with kids) who are frightened so much by the disaster and need the change of the scene. Leaving the place for a while may work well on them.

If I find any such organization besides the one you've already posted, I'll come back and post here. :)

Last edited:
unrentide,
Thank you for your thoughtful response. Yes, I can understand that leaving one's homeland and what is familiar might only add to feelings of loss or stress. There is no place as good as home. I think people outside Japan want to do something helpful and are also worried about the nuclear contamination becoming worse. Maybe all they see is heartbreaking images and stories on their televisions and news websites and don't have any real understanding of what is happening in Japan to those who have been most severely affected by these events.
However, perhaps if more evacuations become necessary it will be a good thing that there will be organized groups outside Japan in place who are prepared to take in families if they need it.

MariEllen, the news is next to nothing about the crisis in Japan. I would hope that those in country would please keep us informed. I would love to host someone from Japan. When I was a child, my family hosted two Japanese foreign exchange students. I have fond memories of both of them. The cultural exchange that took place was very friendly and informative. I remember that we took one student to see "Blazing Saddles" at the drive in. LOL

Japan Tsunami Appeal On PlayStation Network

Thanks for the great thread, it is now possible to Donate online Using the Playstation Network.

"Head over to PlayStation Store to make a donation to the Japan Tsunami Appeal.
The British Red Cross, part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, has set up a fund to support the disaster relief efforts in Japan following the earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

To make a charitable donation, visit PlayStation Store on your PlayStation and go to the Japan Tsunami Appeal section.

You can donate either 2, 5, 10 or 20 pounds/dollars and 100 per cent of your donation will go to the British Red Cross, part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. In the event that they receive more donations to the Japan Tsunami Appeal than the Japanese Red Cross and International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement can reasonably and efficiently spend, any surplus funds will be used to help them prepare for and respond to humanitarian disasters.

As a thank you, everyone who makes a donation will be able to download the Sunrise Blossom theme from PlayStation Store for free"

I would like to inform you that I have transferred the amount of 90,000.00 Yen (approx. 1,097.00 USD) to a bank account of the Japanese Red Cross dedicated to relief efforts in the Tohoku area.

While I do regret that the donation had to be made in my name (and not in JREF's) for technical reasons I would like to thank all those who have contributed so generously.

Attachments

• jref_rc_donation.png
    jref_rc_donation.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 187
Cool! It's not about the recognition, and more about helping those who are in need. I wish I could do more.

Back
Top Bottom