What's new

Need Help with a Translation

DannyL

Registered
27 Jun 2019
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help with my translations.

Are these correct or would they're be better alternatives for a Mon. - Sun. style planner / journal / diary?
  • Planner - puran'naa
  • Journal - jaanaru
  • Yearly / Annual Planner - maitoshi puran'naa
  • Monthly Planner - Getsugaku puran'naa
  • Weekly Planner - maishuu puran'naa
  • Diary - nikki
That's it, thanks for any help, Dan ;-)

Loan words don't always have the same meaning as the original foreign words. For instance, unlike the English word "planner", プランナー only refers to "a person/people who plans/plan" in Japanese. The same goes with journal.

What kind of planner / journal / diary are you thinking about? Do you need to differentiate them?

Hi Toritoribe, thanks for that reply.

So, if someone was speaking about a weekly planner / journal / Diary, laid out with Monday through Sunday, to keep track of daily activities. I don't really need to differentiate them. So, the words could be interchanged and would still be understood.

For instance "That planner / journal / diary would be great for keeping track of my weekly activities".

I hope that helps, Dan ;-)

Great, thanks for that suggestion Toritoribe :)

So, if I were to say:
My diary, my weekly planner or my annual planner -わたしの手帳 ?
Can they all come under the umbrella of 手帳 and a person will just understand?

And, if for the sake of it, I wanted to be specific, what would each be then?

Thanks, Dan ;-)

It's understandable, but 手帳 refers to a small memorandum notebook, so the meaning is broader than "planner / journal / diary".

Diary is usually translated to 日記,, but it's hard to differencialte planner and journal in Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom