What's new

Need help with a simple translation for one of my Anki cards.

Cruzible

Registered
29 Feb 2020
So I THOUGHT I understood the meaning, but the sentence translation threw me off.
Wouldn't it technically be UPtown since the train is going up? If not, can someone explain why it's set up this way? I might have misunderstood. Thanks in advance!
Screenshot_20200228-212531_AnkiDroid.jpg

Technically yes, but if you consider a good translation to be what a native English speaker would say in the same situation, then downtown is probably the better translation as it's used more often than uptown.
Question to others: I live in Tokyo so am used to 登りの電車 going into Tokyo but if you live in the suburbs of, say, Fukuoka, is the same term used for a train going into town?

Question to others: I live in Tokyo so am used to 登りの電車 going into Tokyo but if you live in the suburbs of, say, Fukuoka, is the same term used for a train going into town?
I live in Tokyo, too, but I've also lived elsewhere in Japan and the answer is: it's relative and depends on the starting and ending points of the train line in question.

If you're talking about the Shinkansen, for example, 上り would describe trains going from, say, Hakata to Tokyo. If you're talking about a local line that goes from Hakata or Tenjin to the suburbs of Fukuoka, then trains going into "downtown" Fukuoka would be 上り.

If you're talking about a subway or other line that runs in circles or only within the city center, the terms generally aren't used because they don't really apply.

Here are some links to articles in Japanese discussing the subject:

Nowadays, it's often add another explanatory name, for instance 博多方面 "For Hakata" other than 上り "Nobori" on the time table to make clear the destination.

Back
Top Bottom