What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Need help to translate Kanji

Alastairmcg26

Registered
Reaction score
Dear whoever finds this,

I recently was given a Star Wars T-shirt, Star Wars being my all time favourite thing, but, from what I can tell, and I am extremely sorry if I am wrong as I am an uncultured person living in Dublin Ireland, what is written on it is Kanji.
I like the way it looks but would feel very disrespectful wearing it without, at the very least, knowing what its says.
What it says is probably very basic and I apologise for wasting the time of whoever feels like translating it for me.
But will also be very grateful.
Japanese culture is something that I know very little about but would REALLY love to learn and see more.
Kinda just getting through lots of anime atm and gonna start taking Japanese on Duolingo soon.
One day soon my best friend and I are gonna travel to Japan and just immerse ourselves.
I can’t wait!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 52

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
This appears to be Chinese, not Japanese.

The characters are 絕地, and this is apparently the Chinese word for "Jedi" (as perhaps suggested by the tiny English written in the middle):

As far as I know or can glean, this particular kanji compound is not used in Japanese in any form.
The Japanese versions of Star Wars render the term with the katakana ジェダイ:

Last edited:

Alastairmcg26

Registered
Reaction score
This appears to be Chinese, not Japanese.

The characters are 絕地, and this is apparently the Chinese word for "Jedi" (as perhaps suggested by the tiny English written in the middle):

As far as I know or can glean, this particular kanji compound is not used in Japanese in any form.
The Japanese versions of Star Wars render the term with the katakana ジェダイ:
Hi there, thank you so much for the help! I didnt realise Kanji was not specifically for Japanese.
I feel a little bit silly now and am sorry for mixing them up and asking here for the translation.
You’ve been a great help, I had assumed it said Jedi but wanted to be sure, so even though its not Japanese I am happy I know what it means and that it is in Chinese.
Again apologises and thanks,
All the best!

Top Bottom