What's new

need help on sentence from manga

yellowjello

先輩
17 Aug 2011
Saiko mo jibun ni sou iikikasete nattoku shiyou to shiteiru you ni shika...

"Saiko" is the nickname the speaker gives to his friend.

On an online translation I found, it says: "If he's even telling himself that, then i've just got to learn to accept it."

What i'm confused about is that since Saiko is the subject of this sentence and the te-form of the verb is used, both clauses should refer to Saiko right? I don't think it makes sense to have the verb "iikikasete" apply to Saiko, but then the next verb "nattoku" apply to the speaker (not Saiko). The two verbs are connected by the te-form so they should both refer to Saiko if I'm not mistaken.

Assuming that my reasoning is correct, my translation is: He had to have tried to tell himself that and accept it.

Is my translation correct?

Yes for your interpretation about the connection of the two clauses. The subject of 納得しようとしている is also Saiko.

見えない/思えない or 見えなかった/思えなかった is omitted in the end of the sentence, thus, the whole sentence is the speaker's impression/observation regarding Saiko.

It seems(or "seemed" depending on the context) to me that Saiko, too, is(/was) trying to accept it by telling it himself.

I had a similar translation to tori's. I have a question though the you ni shika here , is referring to the fact that he was he himself ( no one else than him) is trying to accept it. correct?

しか modifies 納得しようとしているように, not Saiko.

It ONLY seems to me that~...

Back
Top Bottom