What's new

Need a word or phrase translated?

OK--I have a couple to start on:

クリスマスにイリノイに言ったときは「日本語の論理」という表題をつけられている本を買って帰りました。ちょっと難しそうですね。でも大体の言葉がわかったので、文法も理解したいと思います。

西欧の文化と接触して以来ずっと日本の知識人には論理コンプレックスともいうべきものがつきまとっている。 (Since the first contact with W. European culture, Japanese intellectuals have felt obsessed (?) by the idea of a logic complex?)に近いでしょうかね?
日本人はともすれば論理を踏み外れしやすいらしいからたえず注意を怠ってはならない。(Since Japanese people tend to lose their logical footing quite easily/naturally, care must be taken never to neglect such things.)
われわれはどれほど論理的であろうとしても決して論理的でありすぎる事はない。(???) (However much we try to be logical, it can never be too much?).

Hi Elizabeth!

Wow, that is more than one word or phrase! Also, I am on the road right now. When I get home tomorrow, I will pull out my Kan Ei Jiten and see if I figure out those kanji!

-Buntaro

I know, don't feel badly, though, Buntaro, it doesn't have to be only for you... :) I had already tried them out on a couple other people whose English wasn't enough to pull them through and simply figured someone here may be able to fill in the parts I've missed.

how can I say "so.. if I anwser some wrong words dont be surprised."
and "can you speak English ?" in Japanese? thanks ^^

"Saa, machigai ga areba (well, if there are mistakes), odorokanaide/ bikkuri shinaide/ kudasai (don't be suprised).

"Eigo wo hanashimasuka?"

Originally posted by Elizabeth
クリスマスにイリノイに言ったときは「日本語の論理」という表題をつけられている本を買って帰りました。ちょっと難しそうですね。でも大体の言葉がわかったので、文法も理解したいと思います。

好奇心の強いので帰ったのはどこですか。差し出がましいことを言ったらすみません。

西欧の文化と接触して以来ずっと日本の知識人には論理コンプレックスともいうべきものがつきまとっている。 (Since the first contact with W. European culture, Japanese intellectuals have felt obsessed (?) by the idea of a logic complex?)に近いでしょうかね?

I think that you are very close. "Since having made contact with Western cultures, Japanese intellectuals have been haunted by a 'logic complex.'" How does that sound?

日本人はともすれば論理を踏み外れしやすいらしいからたえず注意を怠ってはならない。(Since Japanese people tend to lose their logical footing quite easily/naturally, care must be taken never to neglect such things.)

I would say that you have got this one too. Here is my attempt: "Because Japanese people seem to be apt to fall behind in logic, they must constantly take care not to neglect it." This one was somewhat difficult owing to the hazy referent. I am guessing that the main clause is referring to "logic complex," but I am unsure about that.

われわれはどれほど論理的であろうとしても決して論理的でありすぎる事はない。(???) (However much we try to be logical, it can never be too much?).

I think you have understood this one correctly as well. Maybe, "no matter how hard we try to be logical, we can never be too logical."

You seem to be right on with your translations; I just decided to try my hand at them.

Originally posted by Glenn
好奇心の強いので帰ったのはどこですか。差し出がましいことを言ったらすみません。
インディアナの北のほうに住んでいます。

こんにちわ、Glennさん!訳してくれてありがとうございました。

最後の分の英訳はちょっとあいまいなので気になっているけど。おそらく正確に訳すのはほとんど不可能ですね。

Great test !!!!

I ran these phrases through my new Japanese translating program. It came out looking like something the "Mad Hatter" from "Alice In Wonderland" would say. I'd heard these programs didn't work that great and now I know it's true !!

Frank

:D

The syntax and wording aren't really natural for any of them so it's not too surprising, Frank. There's one mistake I noticed in my part -- should be "daitai no kotoba wa" instead of "ga" but as long as you have the time why not try that through your translator as well? It will no doubt come out clearer. :p

われわれはどれほど論理的であろうとしても決して論理的でありすぎる事はない。(???) (However much we try to be logical, it can never be too much?). [/B]
And now that I think about it this is more along the lines "however logical we are, it is never enough." Nihonjin ni totte mo rikaishinikui hon kamoshiremasen ne.

And now that I think about it this is more along the lines "however logical we are, it is never enough." Nihonjin ni totte mo rikaishinikui hon kamoshiremasen ne.

I think that you are right. That seems to make more sense, and flows better too. I guess the としても was the part that really threw us in that one (does it mean supposing, or trying to do?). :)

I think that you are right. That seems to make more sense, and flows better too. I guess the としても was the part that really threw us in that one (does it mean supposing, or trying to do?). :)
As far as I'm aware anyway the literal rendering of あろうとして is trying without success, which would of course break the meaning down to the point of absurdity here. Perhaps the phrase is intended more as a literary device or somehow idiomatically. At any rate I'm pretty sure he's referring to Japanese perceptions of themselves as "however logical" (we make think we are being) in the everyday sense, not within the context of systematic logic as it is usually thought of in the west. Which may flow better but still gives my translation a slightly odd ring, how can you be both logical to the fullest extent possible and it still isn't enough ?

Yes, I guess our first instincts were closer all along. It does apparently only refer to trying without success when used with "ga" -- Denwa wo shiou to shimashita ga.....(I tried calling but couldn't get through).

Hey Elizabeth (or anyone else)

How do you say "Check out that cute looking girl." in Japanese?

そのかわいい女の子を見て見ろ(よ) (?) I've seen it around, but we should probably call in the experts for this one. To check out in the sense of go find some girls I think you can use 物色 (look for, select) and if all else fails there's always the old standby 女の子をチェックする. :p

そのかわいい女の子を見て見ろ(よ) (?) I've seen it around, but we should probably call in the experts for this one. To check out in the sense of go find some girls I think you can use 物色 (look for, select) and if all else fails there's always the old standby 女の子をチェックする. :p

Instead of "sono", I would say "ano" -- implying greater distance than "sono"

Sensei G-13
🙇

Elizabeth Sensei! Golgo Sensei!

Thanks for the help with "check her out."

How about "check it out," as in "Let's go check out that cool-looking restaurant"?

Yoroshiku onegai itashima~~~su!

-Buntaro

Hi Kuro_Tsubasa69!

Yes, your translation of 'I am number one' is correct at 'Boku wa Ichiban desu', although you need to be aware that there are words more plote than "Boku". Some people would be offended by that word.

ALso, you could expand your sentence. Number one at what?

-BUntaro

Originally posted by Buntaro
Elizabeth Sensei! Golgo Sensei!

Thanks for the help with "check her out."

How about "check it out," as in "Let's go check out that cool-looking restaurant"?

Yoroshiku onegai itashima~~~su!

-Buntaro
I suppose the verbs would be いってみようよ for let's check out or just いってみろ(よ)again for check out. But how then to say cool-looking restaurant ???

@ Buntaru: Number one at everything! *niko niko* ;) But, I realize 'Boku' isn't all to polite....I just got into a really bad habit of using that first subject pronoun. ^_^;;;; To be more polite, it should be watashi, correct? (And thanks for verifying that my sentence was correct! 🙂.)

"Number one at everything"? Let's see... I would just say, "I can do anything!"

"Watashi wa, nan demo dekimasu yo!"

Yes, Watashi is more polite. And, if you want to be really, really, really polite, you could say Watakushi. (Accent the second syllable.) But that is really too polite....

"cool-looking restaurant"?

kakkui resutoran?

shibui restoran?

suteki na restoran?

o share no restoran?

Back
Top Bottom