What's new

Need a word or phrase translated?

I sometimes listen to music and try to translate words in it. And I found a few I couldn't find the meaning of.

1.つずき

2.おいかけていた

3.まがりくねった

I got these words from lyrics of the song Yui Again, So I am unsure if some words are put together or not.

Thanks

I sometimes listen to music and try to translate words in it. And I found a few I couldn't find the meaning of.

1.つずき

2.おいかけていた

3.まがりくねった

I got these words from lyrics of the song Yui Again, So I am unsure if some words are put together or not.

Thanks

1) You sure it's not つづき(続き)? That's the noun form of 続く.

2)Past continuous - おいかけて = 追いかけて which, with the いた attached, means the speaker WAS chasing after someone/something.

3) まがりくねった = 曲りくねった, which is "to bend/twist/zigzag many times". Going from a quick look from the lyrics ("曲がりくねった細い道"), she's mentioning a narrow, winding, road.

Cheers.

言っていいことといけないことくらいわからないの
can somebody tell me the meaning of above sentence.

「言っていいこと」と「いけないこと」くらい わからないの

言っていいこと = things it is okay to say
いけないこと = 言っていけないこと = things it is not okay to say
くらい ~ enough/at least

"Don't you know enough (to tell the difference between) what you should and shouldn't say?"
(the person they are speaking to has probably just said something they shouldn't).

「言っていいこと」と「いけないこと」くらい わからないの

言っていいこと = things it is okay to say
いけないこと = 言っていけないこと = things it is not okay to say
くらい ~ enough/at least

"Don't you know enough (to tell the difference between) what you should and shouldn't say?"
(the person they are speaking to has probably just said something they shouldn't).

thank you very much
you got it right.!

Hey there,

I could use some input regarding my interpretation of the following line:

その言葉は重くて、遊びで戦っているのではない事だけは俺にも伝わりました。

Would I be correct in reading that as the speaker thinking that, from the "weight" of the words he just heard his mentor speak, his group isn't fighting as a game/for the hell of it?

My issue here is the 遊びで戦っているのではない bit. Am I correct in reading it like that?

Thanks.

That's a closeup of the top page of Yahoo Japan. Since the word in the search box is incomplete, it's impossible to translate.

Hey people,

I've yet another phrase that I'd like to confirm that I'm reading correctly:

そうやってなし崩し的に連邦の一員に組み込まれるような真似は御免被りたいですね。

Now, for context, this is said by a politician after a group of federal soldiers requests that he allow them to resupply their ships in his country's harbor. This country is neutral while the rest of the world is split in a bipolar war.....

Am I correct in reading this as a refusal, with an accusation that the deal offered is a trick to convince them, slowly (is that what なし崩し means in this context?), to join the Federation?

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, your interpretation is cotrrect. なし崩し的に expresses that the speaker thinks the federal is going to chip away at their neutral position through those kind of offers.

I could be wrong, but is it from the first Gundam series, the episode at Side6 where Mirai Yashima's ex-fiance lives?

Yeah, your interpretation is cotrrect. なし崩し的に expresses that the speaker thinks the federal is going to chip away at their neutral position through those kind of offers.

I could be wrong, but is it from the first Gundam series, the episode at Side6 where Mirai Yashima's ex-fiance lives?

Heh, it's a Gundam plot but not the original one.

I'm doing a summary/translation let's play for a strategy game that includes, amongst other series, Gundam SEED Destiny; it has a LOT of text, so I'm getting tons of experience doing this.

Truth be told, the organization in focus was ZAFT but I went with Federation because its a more commonplace term.

Either way, thanks for the help!

Depending on the context it's more likely to not be the potential form but a classical grammar form meaning something like 死んでいる. (If the source was a proverb or something similar)

死せ: the imperfective form (未然形) of a classical verb 死す
る: the attributive/adnominal form (連体形) of a classical auxiliary verb り which expressees the past or perfect tense

I.e., 死せる is a classical conjugation form equivalent to 死んだ or 死んでいる in modern Japanese, as nekojita-san wrote (e.g. 死せる魂 = 死んだ魂 "dead soul/spirit").

A potential form, not "to be able to die" but "death is possible to occur", is 死にうる in modern Japanese(from 死ぬ) and 死しうる in classical Japanese(from 死す), respectively.

Good evening/morning/afternoon, I am working on an assessment about the Boshin War, and I have one source which has been translated to English, to get an opinion/point of view of the Japanese people on the war and on the foreigners. However I have an issue, I think the original author is Kinsei Shiryaku, but he could also be Shozan Yasi, but I found out that Kinsei (近世) (forgive me for my Japanese) means something like "early modern period, however it won't translate Shiryaku for me, could someone give me a meaning of this word, knowing that the original source is :

Kinsé shiriaku = A history of Japan, from the first visit of Commodore Perry in 1853 to the capture of Hakodate by the Mikado's forces in 1869 : Yamaguchi, Ken

I really need to know who the author is and explain what Kinsei Shiryaku means in this case. Thank you for your time,

An international guy

It's the title. 近世史略 (きんせいしりゃく - kinsei shiryaku). The first part in this context means "modern/recent times" and 史略 means "an abridged history", hence the English title.

The author's name may be 椒山 野史 (Shouzan Yashi) (found on some online university database). The name 山口謙 (Yamaguchi Ken) also appears to be connected (not clear to me if one is the penname of the other or something)

Question about this title 「彼女がフラグをおられたら」. That verb at the end is 折る in passive + たら cond., but I was wondering about the が here. The title got translated as "If Her Flag Breaks" which would be correct if が here is used in place of "の possessive" が[格助接助終助]の意味 - goo国語辞書 (3rd usage).

Is that usage of が here a possessive? Also, could that sentence generally be just be "honorific/passive" with が marking the subject?

That's so-called 迷惑の受身 "passive of adversity". The subject(the one who suffers adversity) is indicated by が or は. That's also 持主受身 "possessor's passive", too.
e.g.
affirmative sentence
泥棒が彼の財布を盗んだ。

direct passive sentence
彼の財布が泥棒に盗まれた。

passive of adversity/possessor's passive
彼は/が泥棒に財布を盗まれた。
彼: the one who suffers the adversity/the owner of the object(indicated by が or は)
泥棒: actual doer(indicated by に)
財布: object(indicated by を)

In your example, 彼女 is the possessor of the flag and the one who suffers the adversity, too. Unlike 迷惑の受身, the normal passive 彼女のフラグがおられたら doesn't have this "adversity" nuance.

See also the following threads.
Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask! | Page 32 | Japan Forum
取られる / ときと / 次の情報 / がいんです | Japan Forum
止められる / 入るはずです / 登ったりロープ / させられる | Japan Forum

Help translating this picture

Can you please help me translate this to english? Thanks!

photo (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom