What's new

NASCAR strikes a deal with Toyota...

Iron Chef

Villain
Rest in Peace
26 Feb 2003
This article is a bit dated (about 2 weeks ago), but it's rather interesting and concerns the recent decision to allow Toyota to become the first foreign automaker to compete in NASCAR's top ranks.

"You've got Yao Ming in the NBA, and Hideo Nomo in baseball, which is fine. But leave ONE American pastime an American sport!" says Charles Walker, a columnist for the racing Web site Catchfence.com. "When you start including Toyota -- and now there are rumors of Nissan -- where do you stop?"

*sigh* Why is it Americans are such xenophobes, especially when it comes to cars and racing in general? As a member of SRO (the single largest streetracing site for car enthusiasts all over the world), I can attest that the lines are clearly drawn between the "ricer" import crowd (led by the Japanese) and the "American made=muscle car/Detroit ingenuity" domestic crowd with no love lost in-between.

Personally, I think "picking sides" is silly and akin to the console fanboys who only love one at the expense of the others (Sony rules, Nintendo sucks, etc. etc.). A true car enthusiast and purist should appreciate any well designed automobile regardless of it's national origin imho (note the emphasis on well designed 8-p).
:)

The full story can be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A40179-2003May10?language=printer

the silvias the only thing left other than the 350z, so i guess
maybe that's why they're worried
thanks for the link!
a lot of old guys tell me that actually, japan had a bad rep -- when toyota and honda first came out over here? reminds me of hyundai and kia...

Originally posted by budd
the silvias the only thing left other than the 350z, so i guess
maybe that's why they're worried
thanks for the link!
a lot of old guys tell me that actually, japan had a bad rep -- when toyota and honda first came out over here? reminds me of hyundai and kia...
You're listing Nissan cars.

Toyota is in !

Tonights news says Toyota is racing in the Daytona 500 with the Camry. No other details except the drivers would be high paid Americans.

Uncle Frank

WHAT?!?!? And here I was thinking NASCAR would be racing Corollas! HA! I'd pay cash money to see that!

:car:

One thing I dont like about the Japanese are there cars, there tin toys and little match for there American counterparts.

Not exactly race cars, but.....

I've had great luck with Subaru here in Maine. The all wheel drive is nice in the snow & ice we get here in the bad winters. The gas milage is about double I got with US made gas hogs, LOL.

Uncle Frank

:)

Toyota's start in Nascar hasn't been so good. Found to be cheating at the Daytona 500.

Of course the team have taken the rap for the infringement and of course Toyota as a company knew nothing about it!

It reminds me of how Toyota didn't know about the stolen Ferrari designs in F1 and how they also didn't know about the illegal air restrictors on their rally cars!

They are really unlucky at Toyota. They always seem to employ the wrong people!;-)

Back
Top Bottom