What's new

My Student Visa was Rejected

Nall-ohki

先輩
1 Nov 2006
I'm really in a lot of pain right now - my student visa was rejected, and the reason won't be known until my school goes to the immigration offices next Wednesday. :(

I don't know how to take this rejection - my entire life has centered around leaving in April, and I don't know what I should do now.

The offer is present for me to attend school on a tourist visa for 3 months, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put my life away, and quit my job for so short a period of time. I was intending to go for a year.

Does anyone have experience with immigration in this way? Is the decision final? I'm guessing that it is, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.

Anyway, I'm really, really depressed now. :(

You might not get a solid answer, and most of the time its final. You'll soon find out anyway.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring.

My life went from on high to suck.

I have no idea what to do for the next year.

:( :( :(

The offer is present for me to attend school on a tourist visa for 3 months,...

but, maybe you can re-apply for student visa during that 3 months? that is how it is usually done, as far as I know, for others country visas. anyway, I can imagine, how you feel. I'm really sorry. but, do not give up on hope yet.

but, maybe you can re-apply for student visa during that 3 months? that is how it is usually done, as far as I know, for others country visas. anyway, I can imagine, how you feel. I'm really sorry. but, do not give up on hope yet.

As far as I know, you can only apply for a student visa in April and October, so I'd have to go through the whole thing again in 6 months, which makes me wonder what to do, especially if I'll just get rejected again.

As far as I know, you can only apply for a student visa in April and October, so I'd have to go through the whole thing again in 6 months, which makes me wonder what to do, especially if I'll just get rejected again.

I didn't know that. now don't know what to say, but, I truly wish you all the best, and good luck!!!

Wow that really stinks, you say your school goes to the office, does that mean there were others that applied with you as well?

Were there any others that were rejected besides you?

Once you get the reason please let us know here, even from your rotten experience maybe someone else can learn what to watch out for, or be careful about when filling out the application.

The offer is present for me to attend school on a tourist visa for 3 months, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put my life away, and quit my job for so short a period of time. I was intending to go for a year.

You were willing to do it for a year. You are not putting your life away, you are expanding it through the experience.
I hope I am just trying to get you to look at it positively here. Why not try for the three months, apply for a visa extension or change once you get here, if it goes through be happy, if it doesn't at least know that you came, had the experience and can decide if you want to try again in the future.

No need to totally ruin your dream at this point is there?

What school did you apply to? And do they typically accept foreign students and either sponsor or assist in the visa process? Did you meet all the requirements? Were you borderline or otherwise "iffy" on one or more of them?

Haven't you studied in Japan already for one or two years at a different school ? It was my understanding one student visa was for life. If not, it's very fortunate. Most people don't get the experience even a single time. There are hundreds of various international language institutes. Without forgetting entirely about Yamasa or quitting your real job, try reapplying to one of them in the interim. 👍

Good luck ! :)

Haven't you studied in Japan already for one or two years at a different school ? It was my understanding one student visa was for life. If not, it's very fortunate. Most people don't get the experience even a single time. There are hundreds of various international language institutes. Without forgetting entirely about Yamasa or quitting your real job, try reapplying to one of them in the interim. 👍
Good luck ! :)

Thank you for your responses, everyone.

It is true that I received a student visa many years back, but it's very strange, because I applied for a student visa last year, and received it, but was unable to go due to some extreme personal circumstances.

There are plenty of other institutes, but I don't know whether or not applying to other ones would make a difference... the problem appears to be immigration rejecting my visa... wouldn't an application to another institute be similarly rejected?

As for the 3 months thing - I would have to quit my job (which I like very much) if I went on the student visa. I was hoping to apply to graduate school after I spent a year at Yamasa, and was trying to study and pass 1-Kyuu while I was there. 3 months isn't enough for me to achieve the goals I am trying to set out. Even reapplying in October is suspect (since the JLPT is in December only, I'd have only 3 months to study).

Thank you all for all your responses. I'm working hard to try to get my mind wrapped around the situation right now.

What school did you apply to? And do they typically accept foreign students and either sponsor or assist in the visa process? Did you meet all the requirements? Were you borderline or otherwise "iffy" on one or more of them?

I applied to Yamasa, who only accepts foreign students. They take care of the process from beginning to end and seem to be very good at the immigration process.

My application requirements should have been all good - better than when I applied last year, and was accepted.

Last edited:
I would guess that your rejection had something to do with your not acting on an approved visa last year.

I would guess that your rejection had something to do with your not acting on an approved visa last year.

That's my best guess at this point.

I did the best I could - as soon as I knew, I notified the immigration office that I was unable to come.

It'd be kind of bitter irony for them to reject me for inconveniencing them, when they have a record of taking months and months to reach a decision.

Anyway. No bitterness here. (Seriously)

Just trying to figure stuff out...

It'd be kind of bitter irony for them to reject me for inconveniencing them, when they have a record of taking months and months to reach a decision.

Tell me about it. I'm still waiting for word on a change of status.....17 months later.

I did the best I could - as soon as I knew, I notified the immigration office that I was unable to come.
Anyway. No bitterness here. (Seriously)
Just trying to figure stuff out...

I wonder is there an appeal process for you to request another chance?

There is only an appeal process for people applying for Permanent Residence.

I wasn't sure about that, thank you for the information.:)

I have seen a story on the news recently about the Iranian family that overstayed their visa and went through an appeals process themselves.

That is what brought the question to mind, then again they were here already when they started the appeals process so I guess that made a difference as well.

So, does anyone know, is this like a formal no second chances policy....(ever) ? Or is there a way to reform yourself if the particular school is irrelevant, without forging another identity :)....perhaps with a longer wait time between attempts....? :?

So, does anyone know, is this like a formal no second chances policy....(ever) ? Or is there a way to reform yourself if the particular school is irrelevant, without forging another identity :)....perhaps with a longer wait time between attempts....? :?

Yeah I don't know. The "no second chances" thing seems uncertain though - I received a student visa back in 1999, and they granted the one that I had to turn down last year.

It's odd...

Anyway, as my contact at the school said, there's nothing to do but wait and fume.

I wasn't sure about that, thank you for the information.:)
I have seen a story on the news recently about the Iranian family that overstayed their visa and went through an appeals process themselves.
That is what brought the question to mind, then again they were here already when they started the appeals process so I guess that made a difference as well.

Overstaying is a criminal offence, and thats a whole different line of appeals ;)

Update:

Okay, I got the reason I was rejected. It was a combination of several things:

1) Immigration's "pattern", is that you get a shuugaku visa, and then you get a ryugaku visa. You can't go back around, and Yamasa is only able to give shuugaku visas. The first time I studied in Japan was under a ryugaku visa, despite the fact I was basically doing things that would fall under shuugaku status.

2) The considered it odd that I would apply to Yamasa first instead of my intended graduate school university's bekka - they don't seem to accept the reason "quality of instruction" to be relevant.

3) The person in charge at immigration this year is different from the one last year (meanie! )

The fact that I managed to receive a shuugaku visa last year seems to have been a fluke, or at least the decision of a different person. In any case, I had several things going against me.

On the bright side, it does clarify one thing: I am able to reapply (and potentially receive) a ryugaku visa at a school that can provide one.

So, I'm sitting around now, trying to figure out my options. I can attempt to study at Yamasa under a temporary visa (max 6 months or so with a re-entry), or I can try to find another institution.

My goal is really to pass 1-kyuu and deepen my ability to the point that I can attend graduate school. I fully feel I cannot accomplish this outside of Japan (my learning style simply does not allow it).

Last edited:
That really sucks. I'm expecting my Certificate of Eligibility any day now. How about reapplying to start in October rather than going over on just a temporary Visa and risking another potential rejection?

Unfortunately, what this means is that I cannot attend Yamasa.

Yamasa can only request Pre-College Student visas, and I can no longer receive one of these. I have to get a College Student visa.

It's sad, but the fact of the matter is that if I want to reapply, I have to find another school which can provide the visa.

I just posted a thread asking for advice about my options. Check it out if you have any at all! :)

Back
Top Bottom