What's new

My Japanese questions and answers thread

filipe.mtx

Kouhai
11 Oct 2021
I want to create this thread so I can have help with my japanese learning...

First... what is the 「かけ」on the 卵かけご飯?

Thanks for any help

I want to create this thread so I can have help with my japanese learning...

First... what is the 「かけ」on the 卵かけご飯?

Thanks for any help
Pretty sure it's the stem form of かける which is a verb that has many meanings including to "put on," "cover" and "set on top."

かける 《掛ける; 懸ける》 (v1,vt)

(1) (uk) (See 壁にかける) to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag); (v1,vt)
(2) (uk) to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spread; (v1,vt)
(3) (uk) (See 眼鏡を掛ける) to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.); (v1,vt)
(4) (uk) (See 電話を掛ける) to make (a call); (v1,vt)
(5) (uk) (See 時間を掛ける) to spend (time, money); to expend; to use; (v1,vt)
(6) (uk) (See 塩をかける) to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) onto; (v1,vt)
(7) (uk) to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, song, etc.); to use (a device, implement, etc.); (v1,vt)
(8) (uk) (See 迷惑を掛ける) to cause (someone inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to impose; (v1,vt)
(9) (uk) {math} to multiply (arithmetic operation); (v1,vt)
(10) (uk) (See 鍵を掛ける) to secure (e.g. lock); (v1,vt)
(11) (uk) (See 腰を掛ける) to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else); (v1,vt)
(12) (uk) (also as 繋ける) to bind; (v1,vt)
(13) (uk) (See 賭ける・かける) to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gamble; (v1,vt)
(14) (uk) to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) on; (v1,vt)
(15) (uk) to hold (a play, festival, etc.); (v1,vt)
(16) (uk) to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.); (v1,vt)
(17) (uk) (See 裁判に掛ける) to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.); (v1,vt)
(18) (uk) to increase further; (v1,vt)
(19) (uk) to catch (in a trap, etc.); (v1,vt)
(20) (uk) to set atop; (v1,vt)
(21) (uk) to erect (a makeshift building); (v1,vt)
(22) (uk) (See 保険を掛ける・1) to apply (insurance); (v1,vt)
(23) (uk) (See 掛詞) to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on words; (suf,v1)
(24) (uk) (after -masu stem of verb) (See 話し掛ける・2, 治りかける) to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...; (suf,v1)
(25) (uk) (after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone) (See 話し掛ける・1) to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone);

Pretty sure it's the stem form of かける which is a verb that has many meanings including to "put on," "cover" and "set on top."

かける 《掛ける; 懸ける》 (v1,vt)

(1) (uk) (See 壁にかける) to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag); (v1,vt)
(2) (uk) to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spread; (v1,vt)
(3) (uk) (See 眼鏡を掛ける) to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.); (v1,vt)
(4) (uk) (See 電話を掛ける) to make (a call); (v1,vt)
(5) (uk) (See 時間を掛ける) to spend (time, money); to expend; to use; (v1,vt)
(6) (uk) (See 塩をかける) to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) onto; (v1,vt)
(7) (uk) to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, song, etc.); to use (a device, implement, etc.); (v1,vt)
(8) (uk) (See 迷惑を掛ける) to cause (someone inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to impose; (v1,vt)
(9) (uk) {math} to multiply (arithmetic operation); (v1,vt)
(10) (uk) (See 鍵を掛ける) to secure (e.g. lock); (v1,vt)
(11) (uk) (See 腰を掛ける) to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else); (v1,vt)
(12) (uk) (also as 繋ける) to bind; (v1,vt)
(13) (uk) (See 賭ける・かける) to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gamble; (v1,vt)
(14) (uk) to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) on; (v1,vt)
(15) (uk) to hold (a play, festival, etc.); (v1,vt)
(16) (uk) to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.); (v1,vt)
(17) (uk) (See 裁判に掛ける) to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.); (v1,vt)
(18) (uk) to increase further; (v1,vt)
(19) (uk) to catch (in a trap, etc.); (v1,vt)
(20) (uk) to set atop; (v1,vt)
(21) (uk) to erect (a makeshift building); (v1,vt)
(22) (uk) (See 保険を掛ける・1) to apply (insurance); (v1,vt)
(23) (uk) (See 掛詞) to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on words; (suf,v1)
(24) (uk) (after -masu stem of verb) (See 話し掛ける・2, 治りかける) to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...; (suf,v1)
(25) (uk) (after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone) (See 話し掛ける・1) to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone);
thanks so much for your help.
I found "egg on rice" but couldn't figure if it was a loose translation

それはうそでした。でも,エバは信しんじてしまいます。

can someone explain the verb conjugation?
I understand as "it was a lie, but Eve believed it"
But I can't explain why it was used and the nuance

それはうそでした。でも,エバは信しんじてしまいます。

can someone explain the verb conjugation?
I understand as "it was a lie, but Eve believed it"
But I can't explain why it was used and the nuance
しん is the pronunciation of 信じる so you have the furigana mixed in.
That is, the sentence should be しんじて or 信じて not 信しんじて
So here you have a te-form verb 信じる which means "believe" followed by しまう.
The しまう after te-verb means to do completely or finish and/or to do accidentally or without intention.
The meaning is more or less the same without the しまう but it gives it a stronger nuance like
"It was a lie but Eva totally believed it."

しまう is very handy and a word I use often. For example like today when I woke up 15 minutes before I had a work meeting.
Rather than saying 寝坊しました (I overslept), I'd say 寝坊してしまいました (I overslept [and there was some unsaid consequence or drama*]).

* Like in this case, true story, I rushed to take a 10 minute shower and ran down stairs in my bathrobe to take the call at the kotatsu. (Luckily my company doesn't have the culture of turning on video in our calls.)

しん is the pronunciation of 信じる so you have the furigana mixed in.
That is, the sentence should be しんじて or 信じて not 信しんじて
So here you have a te-form verb 信じる which means "believe" followed by しまう.
The しまう after te-verb means to do completely or finish and/or to do accidentally or without intention.
The meaning is more or less the same without the しまう but it gives it a stronger nuance like
"It was a lie but Eva totally believed it."

しまう is very handy and a word I use often. For example like today when I woke up 15 minutes before I had a work meeting.
Rather than saying 寝坊しました (I overslept), I'd say 寝坊してしまいました (I overslept [and there was some unsaid consequence or drama*]).

* Like in this case, true story, I rushed to take a 10 minute shower and ran down stairs in my bathrobe to take the call at the kotatsu. (Luckily my company doesn't have the culture of turning on video in our calls.)
thanks so much for your indepth explanation. the phrase is like this:

1671739035822.png

I understood as "finally believed"

I had another question, the difference between 夕べ and 夕方

If I understood correctly, 夕べ is last night and 夕方 is night or evening, right?
I found the explanation here: Difference among evening words 夕方, 夕べ, 晩, 夕?

today I found this form of KIKU (to hear)

聞かず

I found a translation as "didn't listen" but couldn't find explanation for it on the web...
I put on the ultra handy verb conjugator but couldn't find either

~ず is a form of conjugation that negates the action. So 聞く (listen) becomes 聞かず (without listening).
thanks for the explanation!

In today's reading I saw this sentence:

そのうち,地上にある全てのものが水でおおわれてしまいました

In the google translator it translated as "In time, everything on earth was covered with water."
But I don't get the meaning of the part in bold. Mainly because I can't separate the parts properly

おおう=覆う=to cover
おおわれる=to be covered
おおわれて+しまう= to be covered completely
おおわれて+しまいました = was covered completely
using the auxiliary verb しまう means the action of the main verb was done completely, utterly, and usually implies some negative consequence.

おおう=覆う=to cover
おおわれる=to be covered
おおわれて+しまう= to be covered completely
おおわれて+しまいました = was covered completely
using the auxiliary verb しまう means the action of the main verb was done completely, utterly, and usually implies some negative consequence.
so is the same case that @mdchachi cited before?

original post

thanks for your explanation!

Can someone provide a reference to this grammar point of N5 so I can study it in depth?
I searched for もう but I can't find this specific construction...

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-14 at 13.07.17.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-14 at 13.07.18.jpeg

To me, もう is just a nearly perfect translation of the word "already", and isn't something that requires deep study. The above kind of skips over the word "already" in the example sentence, but really, もう just means "already" and so using it in a sentence just adds the same nuance as adding "already".

I went 行きました
I already went もう行きました
I ate 食べました
I already ate もう食べました
Did you do it やりましたか
Did you already do it もうやりましたか?

To me, もう is just a nearly perfect translation of the word "already", and isn't something that requires deep study. The above kind of skips over the word "already" in the example sentence, but really, もう just means "already" and so using it in a sentence just adds the same nuance as adding "already".

I went 行きました
I already went もう行きました
I ate 食べました
I already ate もう食べました
Did you do it やりましたか
Did you already do it もうやりましたか?
so "もう行ったから…"
means "because [they] have already gone..."?

I got a little confused with the verb on past tense and kara combo

Last edited:
I got a little confused with the verb on past tense and kara combo
As you already got, から means "because", so "past form of a verb + から" is just "because the subject did/has done something,..." (and "present form of a verb + から" is "because the subject does/will do something,...").

As you already got, から means "because", so "past form of a verb + から" is just "because the subject did/has done something,..." (and "present form of a verb + から" is "because the subject does/will do something,...").
I see...

thx! :)

Back
Top Bottom