What's new

My exam for Sports Class 2-12 Part 2

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
would you check the second half of my exam?

4 下線部に3~4語の英語を入れて日本語に合う英文を作りなさい。
It'sのような短縮形は一語と数えます。 各2点 (1箇所間違いは1点) 計46点
①ジェインは自転車を二台持っている。Jane .
① Jane has two bikes/bicycles.
②私は来月、ドイツに行くかもしれない。I next month..
② I may go to Germany next month.
③この辞書を使ってもよろしいでしょうか。May ?
③May I use this dictionary?
④彼女は10年前から大阪に住んでいます。(10は綴りで書くこと)[それぞれ2点]
She Osaka .
④ She has lived in Osaka for ten years.
⑤父が帰宅したとき、私はその3時間前からテレビを見ていました。
When my father came home, I three hours.
When my father came home, I had watched TV for three hours.
(When my father came home, I had been watching TV for three hours.)
⑥地震が起きた時、私は朝ご飯を食べていました。
When the earthquake hit us, I .
When the earthquake hit us, I was having/eating breakfast .
⑦私たちは、今日の午後、この仕事を終えます。
We this afternoon.
We will finish this work/job/task this afternoon.
⑧なぜラジオをつけたんですか?
on the radio?
Why did you turn on the radio?
⑨私はニュースを聞くつもりです。 listen to the news.
I'm[/I am] going to listen to the news.
⑩私が競技場に着いたとき、試合はもう始まっていた。[それぞれ2点]
the stadium, the .
When I arrived at[/got to] the stadium, the game had already begun/started.
⑪暗くなる前に戻っておいで。
Come back .
Come back before it gets/becomes dark .
⑫あなたは木曜日までにここを出なければならない。
You by Thursday.
You must[/have to] leave here by Thursday.
⑬私はもうこの本を読んでしまった。
I this book.
I have already read this book.
I have already finished reading this book.
⑭明日はとても暑いでしょう。It tomorrow.
It will be very hot tomorrow.
⑮私の母は、高校教師です。My mother teacher.
My mother is a high school teacher.
⑯あなたは泳げますか。 swim?
Are you able to swim?
⑰今、4時40分です。 now.
It's four forty now.
⑱私は彼が医者だと知っている。 I a doctor.
I know (that) he is a doctor.
⑲そのときあなたは何をしていたのですか。
What that time?
What were you doing at that time?
⑳私はディズニーランドに行きたかった。
I Disneyland.
I wanted to go to Disneyland.
I wanted to visit Disneyland.
㉑警官が到着したときには、泥棒はもう逃げてしまっていた。
When the police officer arrived, the away.
When the police officer arrived, the thief had already run away.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

Yes, all pretty good but in additon to the above,

⑤父が帰宅したとき、私はその3時間前からテレビを見ていました。
When my father came home, I three hours.
When my father came home, I had watched TV for three hours.
(When my father came home, I had been watching TV for three hours.)

The bracketed sentence is more appropriate here. Watching TV is an active verb in this case, not stative. Had been watching would be correct.

⑥地震が起きた時、私は朝ご飯を食べていました。
When the earthquake hit us, I .
When the earthquake hit us, I was having/eating breakfast.

You don't need to use a pronoun here.

I think Hirashin has a high enough level of English to figure out you couldn't leave out "I" in that sentence.

Hirashin has a high enough level of English to figure out you couldn't leave out

That's not the point. If there's anything unclear about what you write, he will always post again to make sure his understanding is correct. It's simplest to be clear from the start and save a few steps.

It wasn't a very helpful comment in the first place. It sounds perfectly fine with "us" in it.
The use of "us" makes it clear that the earthquake affected the speaker. Without it, he could be talking about an earthquake on the other side of the world.

Of course it's the point, there's a chance of ambiguity in everything we write. I made the estimation that he would understand it, and he is perfectly capable of asking himself if he needs to. The sentence obviously wouldn't make sense if you said When the earthquake hit us, was having/eating breakfast.

mdhachi It wasn't a very helpful comment in the first place.
Can you not be so rude? You write plenty of unhelpful comments but I don't go around writing that.
And your reply is completely wrong.

Of course it's the point, there's a chance of ambiguity in everything we write. I made the estimation that he would understand it, and he is perfectly capable of asking himself if he needs to. The sentence obviously wouldn't make sense if you said When the earthquake hit us, was having/eating breakfast.

I've read enough of his responses to feel confident that he would have been confused in this case. In fact, it took me a little time to understand what you were saying - which is why I made my comment in the first place. Anyway, you've made your point and I've made mine, so there's no need to discuss this any further, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the help, mdchachi, Michael2 and joadbres. I'm grateful to you all.

In many cases, it would be hard to judge what is right or wrong in the uses of words and phrases. I'm always glad if you give me your personal views about your native language. (I hope I'm making sense.)

I replaced ⑤ with the question below because I haven't taught the students the pattern of "had been watching".

⑤父が帰宅したとき、私はもう宿題をやり終わっていた。
When my father came home, I my homework.
When my father came home, I had already finished/done my homework.

Mdchachi, my question is 下線部に3~4語の英語を入れて日本語に合う英文を作りなさい".
So your versions for ⑨ and ⑯ would not be valid. But thanks for giving me other ways of saying.
I added this comment to ⑯ to clarify it:[canは使わずに]

I've read enough of his responses to feel confident that he would have been confused in this case. In fact, it took me a little time to understand what you were saying - which is why I made my comment in the first place. Anyway, you've made your point and I've made mine, so there's no need to discuss this any further, as far as I'm concerned.
For what it's worth, I didn't understand what Michael2 was trying to point out until joadbres explained it. Granted, I didn't take the time to study it.
Can you not be so rude? You write plenty of unhelpful comments but I don't go around writing that.
And your reply is completely wrong.
Apologies. It's always difficult to get across tone in text. I'll try to remember to add smileys for you next time.
And your reply that my reply is completely wrong is most definitely not correct. :emoji_grinning:

Apology accepted, and I apologise for being a bit grumpy too! But come on man, there's a middle ground between saying someone's reply was "not very helpful in the first place" and having to use smileys.

Back
Top Bottom