What's new

My caligraphy works

絆 (きずな, kizuna), i.e. "emotional bond", "connection (between people)", stylised seal script (篆書, seal script)

kizuna bonds.jpg

Cheers, Kraystone.

無我 (selflessness) in semi-cursive script (semi-cursive)

[video=youtube;1OyQ0sWI1wg]

---------- Post added at 03:34 ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 ----------

I can see only 3/4 of the video window on my screen, I guess it is due to the adds on this forum. If you cannot see it in full, just watch it on YT.

天下神器、不可為也、不可執也。為者敗之、執者失之。

"The world is a sacred vessel. It should not be meddled with. It should not be owned. If you try to meddle with it, you will ruin it. If you try to own it, you will lose it."

One of my favourite quotes of Laozi. It applies to calligraphy as well, as it is a world on its own.
Slver ink on dark blue paper, written with a small Japanese brush called makifude (巻筆), which I bought only recently from Unpeifude (雲平筆), the last manufacturer of makifude in the world. The workshop is ran by father and son.

to the admins...the picture tool is really horrible, guys...

Attachments

• lazoi2.jpg
    lazoi2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 185
  • lazoi2.jpg
    lazoi2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 156
ヒ?ェナ停?壺?「KナスE (窶堋「窶堋ソ窶堋ー窶堋ォ窶堙絶?堙≫?堋ウ窶堙? ichi geki hissatsu), lit. "one hit certain kill", Kyokushin karate motto. It means to attack without hesitation. 135x35cm, (窶伉青鞘?? cursive script)

dsc01389n.jpg

Love your work...

Wouldn't be great if you could write these two names : 怜朗 and 海児 ;)

Here is a video in which I write a fragment of a poem dating back to the Tang dynasty in China, composed by a famous poet Du Fu (窶徇窶「テ。). The fragment reads: ツ青ウツ青・ツ江窶愿ャツ好窶「窶版段ツ,窶版ス窶ーテ版スナセツ静溪?凪?斃?ァナ誰, and could be roughly translated as "on the first month of the year I enjoy the wonderful scenery of Jiangnan, the season of falling (flower) petals, and yet again I have a chance to cross my path with you ("you" refers to a famous singer/musician of Tang, Li Gunian (窶披?コ 窶ケT窶扼). "

[video=youtube;-kpCy3gT74M]

Work size: 135x35cm (hansetsu: calligraphy paper), hanging arm technique (Logic Behind The Magic テ「竄ャあ Brush Principles, Part I. | Beyond Calligraphy), large wiesel hair brush (calligraphy brush hairs).

Video in which I write my favourite fragment of Dao De Jing by Laozi (in semi-cursive script / gold ink on blue paper)

[video=youtube;wKzg0j2tYls]

My rinsho (臨書, Rinsho – The Magical Ink Time Machine. Part I | Beyond Calligraphy) of a fragment of the Treatise on Calligraphy (書譜) by Sun Guoting (孫過庭, 646 – 691), size 135x35cm.

It is a part of a beautiful passage describing differences between calligraphy strokes (hanging needle and suspended dewdrop) and it reads: 臨危據槁之形。或重若崩雲。或輕如蟬翼。, i.e. "(...) (the power of) shapes facing danger and holding on to rotten wood, which are sometimes heavy like threatening clouds, and sometimes light like cicada wings".

shupufragresised-1.jpg

ツ静ァ窶板「窶抃ツ行,ナスn窶ー窶披?伉ォ窶ーツコ (pinyin: qiān lǐ zhī xíng, shǐ wū zú xià / Japanese reading: ツ静ァ窶板「窶堙個行窶堙?ツ、窶伉ォ窶ーツコ窶堙嫁スn窶堙懌?堙ゥ), i.e. "even a journey 1000 li (li is a Chinese mile, equivalent to 500 meters) long, begins with a single step". Cursive script (窶伉青鞘?? cursive script).
athousandmilesjourneyre-1.jpg

I love Dao De Jing, so I often write chosen quotes by Laozi. In the calligraphy below, I wrote the entire chapter 33 in cursive script, with a gold ink on black paper.

窶冦ツ人ナステ停?冫ツ。ナスツゥ窶冦ナステ停?督セツ。ツ焦クツ人ナステ停?猫窶氾債、ナスツゥツ焦クナステ停?ケツュツ。 窶冦窶伉ォナステ停?「xツ。窶ケツュツ行ナステ停?猫ナスuツ。窶「sナスツク窶伉エツ焦?ナステ停?ケvツ。ナス竄ャナスツァ窶「s窶鉄ナステ椎。テヲ

One who understands others is clever.
One who knows self is enlightened.
One who conquers others is forceful.
One who conquers self is strong.
One who can be content is rich.
One who is contentious is ambitious.
One who doesn't lose one's position endures.
One who dies but is not forgotten lives on.

l22aofullresised-1.jpg

I really appreciate it, thank you.

I wrote a short poem today, inspired by one of the poems by possibly the most cherished Chinese poet, Li Bai (窶披?コ窶昶?? 701 – 762 C.E.). Then, I sat down and wrote it in oracle bone script (ツ甲ツ最凪?「ツカ, Oracle Bone Script - Beyond Calligraphy gold ink (窶ケテ?窶渡; calligraphy ink types) on black paper.

窶督セナ椎スツ湘??禿ゥ窶ケテウ
テ・U窶倪?愿、ツゥ窶ー_ナ?C
窶「窶版クテ?ナ?テエテ、テ昶?板「
ツ心窶「窶倪?戞窶昶?卩ス窶ヲ

Bright moon illuminated the night skies
Concealed in haze of vast sea of clouds
Wind that travelled a few thousand miles
Fluttered my mind light as silk

poemoracle-1.jpg

Cheers, Davey. Please send me an email to [email protected], if you are interested.
The above work will be displayed during calligraphy exhibition in Ginza, Tokyo, in July this year. Let us hope it won't disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom