What's new

My caligraphy works

ryuurui

品天龍涙
17 Jul 2010
I decided to create a thread where I will share my calligraphy works. It could benefit those who enjoy art of calligraphy, as well as those who study the language (be it Japanese or Chinese). Calligraphy uses many interesting phrases and idioms that are not thought at language schools or used on TV.

In case I use calligraphic terms that may not be 100% clear, I will link them to a online calligraphy dictionary that I am building, Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki Main/Home Page, or my other sites devoted to calligraphy.

龍跳 (りゅうちょう, ryū chō, i.e. "dragon leaps"), semi-cursive script (行書).

dragonleaps2-1.jpg

Attachments

• dragon leaps 2.jpg
    dragon leaps 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 123
  • dragonleaps2.jpg
    dragonleaps2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Solaris. I have started 10 years ago.

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

夢枕 (ゆめまくら, yume makura, i.e. "pillow of dreams"), in semi-cursive (行書).

This calligraphy is associated with one of my poems:

A place to where time flies
To rest on pillow of dreams
A mind with which time plays
Collusion of innocent twins
A fortune of lost in adult life
Sound remedy for reality of lies
A flange of shy child memories
Charmed by smiling skies

pillowofdreams11-1.jpg

My second attempt at the Heart Sutra copying (写経; Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki S/Shakyo), from a calligraphy attributed to Wang Xizhi (王羲之, 303–361 C.E.) in semi-cursive script (行書). I used a small brush for copying sutras (calligraphy brush sizes), silver ink (銀墨; Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki G/Ginboku) and coloured paper (色紙;Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki I/Irogami). I think I made 3 mistakes (reversed the order of 3 characters), but I will be writing it few more times anyways. It's a great form meditation.

heartsutranewo-1.jpg

Zoom of the fragment of the text.
hanyashingyo22-1.jpg

窶愿コ窶愿コツ青・ツ好窶愿コツ(窶堙俄?堋ソ窶堙俄?堋ソ窶堋ア窶堙ェ窶堋ア窶堋、窶堙俄?堋ソ, nichinichi kore kō nichi, i.e. "every day is a great day"), in 窶挧窶佚個鞘? (mixture of calligraphy scripts). It is a popular tea ceremony phrase (窶卮停?慊ケ; Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki S/Sado).

everydayisagooddayp-1.jpg

龍鳳呈祥 (Chinese: lóng fèng chéng xiáng, i.e. "the dragon and phoenix together are a good omen"), in 楷行書 , meaning: a cross over between standard script (楷書; standard script) and semi-cursive script (行書; semi-cursive).

dragonandphoeninx-1.jpg

etid: wow, you guys need to fix the pinyin tones, as they do not work here.

ツ幸窶「ナク (窶堋ア窶堋、窶堙凪?堋ュ, kōfuku, i.e. "happiness"), semi-cursive (ツ行ツ鞘??. The smaller text on the left-hand side reads: 窶恠ナ椎ス窶ケg窶愿コ窶板エ窶氾慊鞘? (written by Ryūrui, on a good day of a winter month). Coloured paper (ツ色ナス窶?; Shodopedia - The Calligraphy Wiki I/Irogami) with gold flakes, usually used for writing calligraphy on a Chinese New Year.

koufukusealed-1.jpg

Well, that because it is a name. Same as 龍馬 is read ryūme, and means "splendid horse", whilst when read Ryōma is a name, as in 坂本龍馬.

This video shows a traditional way of studying calligraphy, past from a Master to a disciple for thousands of years. See also Part II and III of this video (Beyondcalligraphy YT channel)

[video=youtube;b37ch0RuFSY]

Tonight, I sat down and I was writing dragons throughout the night once again. Today is the first day of the Year of the Dragon., a year which I was awaiting for a long time. Happy New

Year to you all. I hope you will enjoy watching this video as much as I enjoyed making it.

[video=youtube;qz-F1cV81Rw]

Many thanks to Rona Conti for her help with editing of my poem.

Wow Ryuurui! That's awesome! Your Calligraphy is beautiful. I'd like to learn more about it. Do you have a Facebook page?

WOW ryuurui!!! 😲
Your calligraphy work is fantastic. As good as I can do with calligraphy is a pencil and copying some japanese characters!

I am still in awe. Thanks for your thread =)

Back
Top Bottom