What's new

Monbukagakusho Scholarship for Postgraduate!!

Wingmaker

後輩
2 May 2006
Hello,

I applied Monbukagakusho scholarship for postgraduate, and have to sit for the English language written test this weekend. Anyone know what kind of test is this? Is it subject specific or generel English test?

I am from Malaysia by the way. Thanks in advance.

I think I saw some sample tests on the website, or somewhere. Looked like basic English.

I already found last year question paper for this test.

Hopefully can get through this level though.

Just sat for the test today morning. Some of the questions are quite tough.

Having my fingers crossed, hopefully can get shortlisted.

By the way, is there anyone in this forum familiar with Japanese universities and professors in electrical engineering postgrad studies by research?

Monbukagakusho scholarships are extremely easy for postgraduate students to get, regardless of country, though I suspect that your field of study will be an important factor then. There were more probably 10-15 Malaysian Monbusho postgraduate students on the plane with me to Tokyo, there were probably even more on the plane to Osaka.

Unlike undergraduate students who always get sent to Tokyo or Osaka for the preliminary language studies, postgraduate students frequently get sent to other cities. This year Niigata got quite a few Malaysian students, from what I gathered talking to the others.

Good luck.

I've been notified to attend the interview, anyone here knows what kind of questions they will ask? How to prepare for it?

postgraduate students frequently get sent to other cities. This year Niigata got quite a few Malaysian students, from what I gathered talking to the others.

Was the school in Niigata that all the malyasian students were going to called "IUJ"? The International University of Japan? I have heard about that place and am interested in it myself.

Also one more question. You mention students are "getting sent to...". I was under the impression that students were able to chose which university they wanted to study at when accepting the monbusho scholarship.

How much say do students have in their placement location?

Thanks

- Harvey

Wingmaker said:
I've been notified to attend the interview, anyone here knows what kind of questions they will ask? How to prepare for it?

you have been already called for interview? i aplied for same thing, but still havent even english test. you did? how was it? what are things i should have on mind? please help :) thanks

For postgraduate, the English test is 50-questions objective paper on grammar and comprehension. A lesser and easier version of GRE, which I am going to take next month.
You can find the past year questions from this website.
ドメインパーキング

hello everyone!!i was wondering where did you guys get the application form?what kind of qualifications do i need? i'm sitting for STPM this year,btw.i need all kinds of info on this.thanks for the info!!

nashyde said:
hello everyone!!i was wondering where did you guys get the application form?what kind of qualifications do i need? i'm sitting for STPM this year,btw.i need all kinds of info on this.thanks for the info!!

you should be able to get it in japanese embassy. you'll find anything you want to know at link posted already ドメインパーキング

🙂

DJnerate said:
Unlike undergraduate students who always get sent to Tokyo or Osaka for the preliminary language studies...

Not entirely accurate. I was an undergrad Monbusho (as it was known at the time) guy and I not only didn't get the Tokyo/Osaka preliminary language studies, I didn't get them anywhere else either.

I think that some of the students who were at the more northern universitites received their preliminary Japanese sessions at Sendai. Not sure about that, though.

help

Hi, first time here.
I'm applying for the research student monbusho, and I'm totally stucked @ how to write the study plan and field of study. As in, do I write in complete sentences, or just point form? And may I have a rough idea on how to write a proper study plan?
Thank you very much!!!! :)

Hi Kaooriyuki,
I'm first time here too.
In my opinion, it's better to write them in short, straight-to-the-point sentences and then, elaborate and explain them.
For study plan, I also need some advice here. Could anyone explain about how to write a study plan?

Regarding the study plan, what I think is you should have something in mind what you want to do in your graduate research work. It is about your ambition and direction for your career either in academic or in corporate world.
Anyway doing graduate study must have strong sense of purpose, as you don't even need one to rise in the industry you are in. That purpose is needed to convince the interviewer, and to display how much a graduate scholarship is important to you. That is my believe.

My plan of study consists of the key topics of study and research, some research activities and proposing a research project. But my plan is composed in point form.

Hi WingMaker,
Thanks for your reply. I still remember that during the English&Japanese exams in early May, that the officer from Japanese Embassy mentioned that most applicants have filled in the study plan in a wrong manner.
So, be cautious in filling in your application forms.

Good luck to everyone in the interview. :)

-Chanoil

Hi everyone who took the Monbusho exam this year
Does anyone know questions and format of English test for the Monbusho exam in Malaysia or anywhere else this year ?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
p.s. if anyone wants to know... i took tests (english and japanese) and interview, and i passed preliminary selection :) yea 😌

🙂

Hi Alma,
Thanks for your reply. Congratulations to you.
Could you please give me more info about this year's English test ? For example, unusual idioms or collocations were questioned in the test. I was told that questions in that test was quite weird and confusing in reasoning. I'd like to get acquainted with that kind of test.
Thank you very much.

Hi Vivu... you are planing to take test next year? don't worry, just study ;) I'm sorry but i really can't remember questions :( it was unusual test for me, and a little bit confusing, but nothing too much, you just need to concentrate good. I was under lot of stress, of course, and didn't study as much as i wanted, but i manage it somehow. there is no way you can prepare yourself properly, i think. just read various things as much as you can/have time. i could not understand everything, of course, and you saw last two questions? they have quite big text and lots of questions. given possible answers are quite confusing, but if you read text carefully (even without understanding every word), and q&a even more carefully, you will manage to do it good. and you have 1 hour for test, which is more then enough. and don't forget, you do not have to do it 100% correct to pass!

i hope this helps! if you have any other questions, shoot! if i think of anything else, i'll post!

🙂

Back
Top Bottom