What's new

Moderator changes my country flag

You Could .....

use an avatar of the Japanese flag, moving or still. The size of the avatar flag would overwhelm the small one under it?

Frank

mikecash said:
You are correct.

This must be a bug. Otherwise why would there be a blank option at the top? Perhaps Thomas will have a look at this.
It's no bug, the country flag is indeed a mandatory field and cannot be left blank. Users displaying no country flag have joined the forum before the hack was applied. Personally, I fail to understand why stating a user's country of residence is an issue at all.

HotondoNaNashi said:
It's an issue of pseudo-pseudonymity - or lack of it. As should be fairly obvious from my name.
Lol...but really, does it matter ? I don't see the problem, if we don't know your (real)name it doesn't matter.Or did you want to make people believe you aren't from England :?

RockLee said:
Or did you want to make people believe you aren't from England :?
It's not that I wanted to make people believe I'm not from England. It's that I don't see why I should have to choose a country to make people believe I'm from.

The subset of people active on the Internet, with reasonable Japanese skills, is small enough that if somebody _really_ wanted to find out who I am they probably could. (Hence the 'Hotondo'). I don't, however, see why I should have to provide any more hints that I have to.

HotondoNaNashi said:
It's not that I wanted to make people believe I'm not from England. It's that I don't see why I should have to choose a country to make people believe I'm from.

The subset of people active on the Internet, with reasonable Japanese skills, is small enough that if somebody _really_ wanted to find out who I am they probably could. (Hence the 'Hotondo'). I don't, however, see why I should have to provide any more hints that I have to.
It's an extra touch to the forum man,nice to know where the other members live :) May I suggest you post some other stuff, as only the last 6 posts were about your disagreement with the damn flag :D :p Have fun posting ! 🙂

RockLee said:
It's an extra touch to the forum man,nice to know where the other members live :)
It's great as a voluntary gesture - just as your profile: age, birthday, sex, hobbies etc is.

RockLee said:
May I suggest you post some other stuff, as only the last 6 posts were about your disagreement with the damn flag :D :p Have fun posting ! 🙂
You missed a post or two in the Learning Japanese forum.

Here Is A ......

legal size Japanese flag if anyone would like to use, feel free. I'll leave it as my avatar for a day or so for anyone to click on and save so they can use it. Tomorrow I'll put up an ol style sun with rays if anyone wants to use, feel free.

Frank

I know it doesn't "solve" the problem, but it's a step in the right direction, maybe?

HotondoNaNashi said:
It's an issue of pseudo-pseudonymity - or lack of it. As should be fairly obvious from my name.

There is no such thing as complete anonymity on the Internet. If you post on a forum, admins can see your IP address (and therefore the country and region/city you come from using the right tools - but rest assure as we have too many members to care about that). The same is true when you send a normal email to a friend, employer, customer or whoever. If they know just a bit about computering, they'll know that your IP address is hidden in the email's headers, and therefore you can be traced (at least to the city of region you write from). But that means you can also do it for emails you receive and know for sure where they come from.

HotondoNaNashi said:

We are a very international community, and it is confusing enough not to see the person we are writing to. To avoid misunderstanding we have decided to add the options "country of residence" (so for example we know who lives in Japan and who doesn't), and "nationality" (because many people thought that a Japanese flag meant that someone is Japanese, when in fact quite a few are Westerners living in Japan. Likewise we have Japanese people living abroad).

People have such oddball pseudonyms on the net that I doubt anyone gives the origins of other people's netnames much thought at all.

I Guess ......

HotondoNaNashi said:
Well duh.

Why do you think I have the 'Hotondo' in HotondoNaNashi and had the extra pseudo in pseudo-pseudonymity?

my middle name is "DUH" !! I have no clue what HOTONDO might mean? Is it Japanese? It sounds like the name of an old John Wayne movie.

Frank

:?

:D Frank

I don't understand what the big deal is about showing a flag? This is beginning to seem a little OCD-ish...

I think it's rather funny that so much forum space and time and calories on writing these characters were wasted uselessly because of some capricous newcomer, who without even chekin out the forum, imediatly began to complain about it's attributes. Point is that we all like the flag showing here, the admin as well, so you should have realized that after your first attempts were disregared that it was time to let it go. I think it's very odd for someone who just joins a new forum to come in with the axe ready to break the furniture. It's as if someone just joins a new club of some kind and the first thing they do is complain about the rules. Way to make a good first impression.

Duo said:
I think it's rather funny that so much forum space and time and calories on writing these characters were wasted uselessly because of some capricous newcomer, who without even chekin out the forum, imediatly began to complain about it's attributes. Point is that we all like the flag showing here, the admin as well, so you should have realized that after your first attempts were disregared that it was time to let it go. I think it's very odd for someone who just joins a new forum to come in with the axe ready to break the furniture. It's as if someone just joins a new club of some kind and the first thing they do is complain about the rules. Way to make a good first impression.
hear hear ! I didn't want to tell em that hehe..didn't want to scare him.But basicly yeah,if you don't like it..then don't post :? :eek:

Hotondo means "almost," and nanashi means "anonymous" (just in case you hadn't figured that one out).

Anyway.....

for anyone who wants it, here's a Navy style Japanese flag (kinda). It 100 x 100, just click on it to save and use it if you like.

Frank

Dragging up a "real" old thread here with a serious question, is it still mandatory to use the flag of the country one is residing in while posting on this message board?

Or can flags of any nation or nationality be used?

Plus is the determining factor for a flag of residency a particular members logged IP address?

Would appreciate a "black and white" kind of answer here, not one overloaded with gray.:p Thank you.

Your flag says in what country you are living in, so the answer is Yes it is still mandatory to use the flag of the country one is residing in while posting on this message board.

🙂

I try real hard to check new members.

I check about 10 new members a day and PM them nicely if their IP's are wrong. Most list the wrong country by honest mistake.

Uncle Frank

Your flag says in what country you are living in, so the answer is Yes it is still mandatory to use the flag of the country one is residing in while posting on this message board.

🙂

and

I check about 10 new members a day and PM them nicely if their IP's are wrong. Most list the wrong country by honest mistake.

Uncle Frank

Niheideibiru.....many thanks to you and Uncle Frank for your...sorry for the pun here...your Frank and quick replies.

Back
Top Bottom