What's new

What happened to the flag of my country?

Kakulin

Master of the Dragonsouls
17 May 2006
I saw that another user, EscaFlowne, has the Puerto Rico flag. Just check out any of his posts for confirmation. I am using the United States flag in the meantime seeing as I am a US citizen. But I want the Puerto Rican flag.
puertorico-1.jpg

Puerto Rico is not a sovereign state, but a territory of the USA.

Thomas insisted on deleting non-sovereign states a few months ago.

Mycernius said:
That explains where my England flag went:eek:

Yes. As for Scotland, Wales, the Vatican, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and many others. Thomas decided to get rid of even of the EU flag (although the EU is more of a country than the Vatican, England or Puerto Rico as its own parliament, currency, passports and embassies).

Maciamo said:
Yes. As for Scotland, Wales, the Vatican, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and many others. Thomas decided to get rid of even of the EU flag (although the EU is more of a country than the Vatican, England or Puerto Rico as its own parliament, currency, passports and embassies).

Just out of curiosity what then is considered to be a "sovereign" state? According to this linkhttp://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/xx.html there are 271 nations, dependent areas, and other entities in the world.

One would expect that to the people that reside in the countries arbitrarily "deleted" this site or the admin, is in essence, slapping them in the face wouldn't you think?!:eek:

Is it that big of a deal what flags people have under their names? I mean come on now, isnt diversity one of the things that makes this site what it is?

You or someone here will probably delete this but I must say that excluding a persons choice of flag under their name is pretty narrow minded dont you think?

Hachiro said:
You or someone here will probably delete this but I must say that excluding a persons choice of flag under their name is pretty narrow minded dont you think?
Narrow-minded? Don't know. It depends on what it's supposed to represent & that's up to the forum owner.
As a work-around people who want to have another flag could upload theirs as an avatar.

If I had my druthers, I'd have the old "Don't tread on me" flag from early U.S. history.

I took a screenshot today of one of EscaFlowne's post and as you can see he still has the PR flag:
prflag3ukth-1.jpg

Kakulin said:
I took a screenshot today of one of EscaFlowne's post and as you can see he still has the PR flag:

This is because he chose it when it was still allowed. I have now changed it to the US flag.

Maciamo said:
This is because he chose it when it was still allowed. I have now changed it to the US flag.

Well I see you changed mine as well......since you ignored my question in the first place I will ask it a bit differently this time.

What is the point of, in effect, censoring people's flags?

Why not explain the rationale behind this if there is any? Oh yes and btw you have my location wrong.

You do realize that because you brought this up he went and changed it. So in effect your actions have quite possibly upset or p.o'd another member, kind of like "If I can't have it nobody can...." kind of attitude don't you think.

So now Mr moderator here has to go through and make sure everybody is conforming to some archaic rule about flags.

It depends on what it's supposed to represent & that's up to the forum owner.
As a work-around people who want to have another flag could upload theirs as an avatar.

See that's the thing, they (admin et al) have had the chance to plainly explain the reasoning but have not done so at all. What conclusions can people that read this thread come to? I agree that the "owner" might have a reason for it, but why not explain the reason, instead of arbitrarily censoring peoples profiles? Also like you said people could get around it if they so choose to but why does it make that much of a difference in the first place? That is where the narrow-mindedness comes from, an unwillingness to be open and share the reasons for this childish action by the "admin" of the board and yes imo, it is childish to act as just without telling the members here the reasons why they made the decision to do this.

Hachiro, if you are not happy about the flag rule, please complain to Thomas not me. He made the rule, and he also censored my own flag (EU flag).

Maciamo said:
Puerto Rico is not a sovereign state, but a territory of the USA.

Thomas insisted on deleting non-sovereign states a few months ago.

Ho-ho-hold it, just a little rectification. :)

I have never insisted on deleting souvereign or non-sovereign states, but supranational or international organisations such as the U.N., the EU, ASEAN, etc. I felt quite fine with allowing England, Scottland, Wales, Hongkong and Macau, because they further determine a member's country of residence instead of obscuring it as in case of the EU flag.

If it were up to me, I'd restore the so-called non-sovereign countries in a wink.

I believe that you told me explicitly that the EU flag was not ok because it was not a sovereign state. You said the same thing about the flags of Flanders and Wallonia (Belgian states); not sovereign states. So I don't see why it would be ok to allow the flags of England, Scotland and Wales, but not Wallonia and Flanders, which have different languages and separate governments.

Btw, I also preferred to have more choice for the locations. In fact, I even proposed to have flags for each US state, but you refused. I don't see the logic in having flags for US territory (e.g. Puerto Rico, Guam...) but not States, which are bigger and more independent.

Me and Myc, if anything alike, a proud to be british and loyal, but that doesnt take away our actual national heritage and identity, i am first and formost Scottish, he is English, we share a national government, not a nationality.

I think, despite my opposition to the EU, if Mac wants to considor himself part of a fictional super-nation, thats his choice to, aswell as agreeing individual US states and stuff are a good idea.

Is someone telling you Thomas to only use sovreign independent countries?, i always thought it was up to a website admin alone what flags he has....

Ahwell.

nurizeko said:
Me and Myc, if anything alike, a proud to be british and loyal, but that doesnt take away our actual national heritage and identity, i am first and formost Scottish, he is English, we share a national government, not a nationality.

I think, despite my opposition to the EU, if Mac wants to considor himself part of a fictional super-nation, thats his choice to, aswell as agreeing individual US states and stuff are a good idea.
Is someone telling you Thomas to only use sovreign independent countries?, i always thought it was up to a website admin alone what flags he has....
Ahwell.

The basic idea was that it might be interesting to know a user's country of residence as it might have an impact on understanding the ideas they express in discussions. I just thought that allowing supranational organisations somehow obliterated that very intention.

All my other concerns are of more technical nature: if we allowed U.S. federal states, Canadian, German, Italian, Mexican, etc. members may ask for flags of their federal states, territories, regions and prefectures as well. What a nightmare (from an admin's point of view).
😌

But hey, whatever makes our members happy... :)

First off thank you for all your replies, I am be in the minority here but I still do not understand the reasons why individual flags are not allowed.

Maciamo I guess you are just trying to just follow the "guidlines" so it isnt your problem per say..., thank you fortaking the time to answer.

Is it that big of a deal to the Admin here what "flags: people use for their locations?

People make their posts no matter what their location may be at, does it make that big of a difference which they choose?

Mr. Thomas, I would appreciate an answer to this question please.......is it really that big of a deal to you?

Hachiro said:
People make their posts no matter what their location may be at, does it make that big of a difference which they choose?
Mr. Thomas, I would appreciate an answer to this question please.......is it really that big of a deal to you?

Mr Hachiro, I will give you a frank answer: no, I care less and less about it. I am contemplating about deleting that user field to save my time. If members really want to indicate their location, there's a separate field that allows them to do exactly that.

I think that it is important to have the flag reflect the persons actual location. Thomas is right when he says that it helps when reading particular posts so that you may understand more a persons point of view.

With that said, I also agree that if you want to display a flag that is not currently available, then load it as your avatar. If Thomas begins allowing every type of flag things will get rather complicated.

My apologies to EscaFlowne for making him lose the PR flag. It wasn't intentional.

Also I would like to clear up that even though Puerto Rico is an US territory that doesn't mean that I'm living in the USA. I am living in the Caribbean.

But anyways, when I created this thread I did it because I was curious as to how EscaFlowne managed to choose the PR flag. I never intended it as a complain and I have not problems with having to use the US flag because I'm a US citizen and proud of it.

I am against deleting flags altogether. That is one of the most interesting profile options.

Thomas, if allowing some states or regions (Puerto Rico, Scotland, St Pierre et Miquelon, Hong Kong...) for which we already had the flags was not a problem, then why were you against my adding the flags of Wallonia and Flanders (in addition to, not instead that of Belgium), which I would have added by myself ?

Why Not.......

use a flag of your choice as your avatar? There are tons of flag avatar(animated or non-animated) to get off the internet for free. I'll leave my state flag up for a day or two as an example of what is out there for free. I just typed in "flag avatar" under GOOGLE and got several sites to chose from.

Uncle Frank

👍

Back
Top Bottom