• Tasteless.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Just plain nasty.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
Do you do "MOCHI TUKI"?

toku1-1.jpg

Yes, I've been doing it for the past 4 years. I'm not sure I'll be able to participate this year though...my back is killing me! :(

CC1 said:
Yes, I've been doing it for the past 4 years. I'm not sure I'll be able to participate this year though...my back is killing me! :(

WAKARIMASU WAKARIMASU !!(I understand it and understand it.):(

The waist and the back will become painful if I also do MOCHI TUKI.
The daily shortage of movement results.😌

CC1-san!!
Although I think that the back is painful, please do your best for Japanese tradition culture.:(

GANBATTUTE KUDASAI !!🙂

MOCHI TUKI
http://www.agri.pref.kanagawa.jp/nosoken/nousankako/Mochi/mochi2.htm

Its DELICIOUS!! A fav of mine! I love eating it, all the time, whenever, however, and they're beautiful in srping colors too! ;)

CC1 said:
We made some on the 31st! We had three types: 1. wrapped in seaweed with soy sauce...2. with a sesame seed coating...3. with a type of brown sugar coating.

They were all delicious. Then later that night we had it in the soup (I really didn't like it that way...a little too chewy then!)

I love mochi too!!!! Hopefully we will be making it later this week. I just buy a bag with them, "fast food"....so they are ready to be cooked...easy...only takes a couple of minutes..

We will be making it on Saturday at our dojo. I will spend all day there, then go to work at 4pm

I already know the answer to this, but I am curious as to if many of you know the reason behind the Japanese making mochi each year?

Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
Do you do "MOCHI TUKI"?

toku1-1.jpg

This makes me remember the omatsuri in Nara (where I used to live I moved to the States) when I was little. It is very tasty if you can eat the hot and steamy mochi right after a mochi tsuki. Sometimes they put on green looking topping (was it nori?) to give it more taste.

Also during Omatsuri, at O-tera (temple), they throw away mochi to the crowd (they set up the stage from which they throw away mochi to people down on the ground to catch. When I was still in the central Nara pref, I used to go there to catch mochi (you have to very skillful as tall people can catch it while it is still flying). Since it was done in a temple's ground, mochi you catch and bring home is said to be a good luck.

I like mochi,most Japanese brands are bit too sweet for my taste except one manufacturer in Kyoto produces pieces come in triangular shape with plum flavor.

Last edited:
Can you actually make mochi from those mochi flour sold on grocery? I forgot the brand, Mochiko?? Or will it better to wait til I get to Japan (sigh....dunno when that'll be) and taste the real one?
I know mochi from my hometown Indonesia, perhaps different than Japanese, but I think close enough, heehhe. Ours mostly sweets, filled with mix of chopped nuts. I love daifuku though, anko...hummmm, ankooo...totemo suki desu!

Back
Top Bottom