What's new

Anyone tried raw horse meat?

beluga

先輩
10 Nov 2003
Had it when I visited Japan recently. It's served with mince raw garlic. Though the taste is fine, I will not try it again. I wonder what kinda horse is that!

Eeew...

Oooh, yuck. Poor horses... 😲

Just out of curiosity...which regions of Japan serve...horse? *dies, of course*

I had it in Yokohama. A restaurant next to Shin-yokohama train station to be exact.

Yokohama? Regardless...a delicacy like that in horse must be pretty expensive per slab...and full of cholesterol, no less. *dies again, or course* 😌

Out in the west, we take such delicacies with aversion. Of course, it's like the Ifugao of the Philippines eating dog, another treasured animal, like the horse.

I'm not sure but I heard it is a delicasy of southern Kyushu and that it's quite rare to find it outside of that area. Like, here in Kagoshima there is always raw horse and raw chicken in the supermarkets but not in other prefectures. my Kansai husband told me this.
I wasn't so fond of the raw horse but I really like raw chicken.. but with tori influenza about I've had to give it up :(

what's so bad about eating Horse? It's just another animal, right.
and in my supermarkets here horse isn't expensive at all.

nzueda said:
what's so bad about eating Horse? It's just another animal, right.
and in my supermarkets here horse isn't expensive at all.

Err, you're gonna spark a war here... 😌 I saw some threads argue endlessly on eating whale meat.

ah, yes horse meat. You have us in Tosa (Kochi), in part, to thank for it. You don't see it very often but it is there, and no, I haven't had it.

I trust the Spanish. If they didn't like to eat it in the New World when they were starving, it must not be very good.

By the way, I just asked my colleague who brought me there... He said the dish is called basashi, 馬刺し

I had raw horse in Hiroshima once. It was served sliced like sashimi and we just dipped it into shouyu. Tasted delicious! Really! Was very tender and tasty. I would eat it again. It is just another animal. Whale is something different, because most of them are still in danger of being whiped out from the planet.
Mmmh...but I love living horses as well! For riding, of course!

So Raw It Had Hoofs Still !!!

When I was younger, I went riding every weekend. I had a new horse that was still a little wild. The owner said to bend over and bite him on the ear when he mis-behaved. I tried it and ended up on the ground. That was my last taste of raw horse!

Frank
😊

Frank D. White said:
When I was younger, I went riding every weekend. I had a new horse that was still a little wild. The owner said to bend over and bite him on the ear when he mis-behaved. I tried it and ended up on the ground. That was my last taste of raw horse!

Frank
😊

You're not disabled...are you? I mean, the kick from a horse could definitely make you a basket case, Frank-san... 😄

I've fallen off a horse, been bitten, stepped on, and almost kicked many times. That doesn't mean I'd ever eat one, though... :(

Nah, I Got This Stupid All By Myself!!

They do have a great program here for handicapped riders the helps a lot of people!

Frank

Just so ya know, whale doesn't taste that great either - it is a long story as to how I came to eat it, and I think it is on this thread.

Mandylion said:
Just so ya know, whale doesn't taste that great either - it is a long story as to how I came to eat it, and I think it is on this thread.

Taste like lard or soap? :D OK OK, I will read the thread...

basashi

nzueda said:
I'm not sure but I heard it is a delicasy of southern Kyushu and that it's quite rare to find it outside of that area.
Horse meat sashimi is usually considered one of Kumamoto specialities, while there're a few more regions (Koshu, Shinshu) where local people have been having sakura-niku.

Frank D. White said:
They do have a great program here for handicapped riders the helps a lot of people!

Frank

A pun on the race "handicap," Frank?

:sing: Race 8, The Frank D. White Memorial Handicap (10,000,000 yen, Gr. I), 6 1/2 furlongs, for fillies and mares...a full field of 16...and away they go!...

😄

m477 said:
Hey, I'd try it... is there any place in Tokyo that serves it?
There are a couple of restaurants in Tokyo specializing in sakura-niku:

Minoya (since 1897)
2-19-9, Morishita, Koto-ku, Tokyo
phone: (03)3631-8298

Nakae (since 1905)
1-9-2, Nihonzutsumi, Taito-ku, Tokyo
phone: (03)3872-5398

Well, I tried the raw horse meat today. I was at a yakitori place in Shibuya with my conversation partner and her friend and I noticed the salarymen at the table next to us were eating some stuff which looked like raw meat. I asked her about it and she said it was horse, so we tried some. I don't see why some people were making such a big deal about it, it really didn't have much taste, it was just chewy. Mostly you just taste the other stuff you put on it, like the ginger and soy sauce.

If you want some really tasty raw meat, I highly recommend Hida beef sushi. It is very tender and has a rich, slightly sweet flavor. I thought it was better than Kobe beef, although I've never tried Kobe beef raw.

i'm from mongolia. i eat horse meat... not often. i see there are quite a few people concerned about cholesterol content in horse meat. no need to worry. horse meat doesn't contain cholesterol...

whenever we drive through kumamoto my Japanese husband starts taking about horse meat, tabetai na...... it`s a local delicacy. Me I`m a vegetarian and draw the line at all animals. So if a meat eater chooses horse, that`s fine with me. I especially wonder about raw meat because I`ve never tried it myself. I think if I was a meat eater, at least I would cook it. Anyway, he just loves it.

too right !

Frank D. White said:

Frank

yeah !!! Superman knows all about it, no ?

the horses are not laughing in Europe !

well now,
horse meat is commonly eaten in almost every country in Europe (excepted maybe in England). I know that in Switzerland, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the eastern countries you find it in a lot of restaurants, as an "entrecテエte" (or steak if you prefer). You'll have it in air-dried meat, too. It's quiet popular, and in Switzerland for instance, you have special butcher shops selling exclusively horse meat (they are not allowed to deal any other meat). In super market, horse meat must be separated from beef, and tags have to specify in larger letters that it is horse meat.
that's it.
bon appテゥtit !

(I tryed, but did not like it, too sweet I think.) Mind you, in Spain they eat "el toro", just after the corrida, so what ?

Back
Top Bottom