• I absolutely love it!

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Not great, just okay.

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Don't like it or hate it.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Nasty!

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • I've never tried it, so I do not know.

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters
Not really a recipe but should give those that fear the unknown some knowledge. I love food with garlic in it and homemade kimchi (especially those made by my korean friend's families) is so-o-o good.

boroboro said:
Take chinese cabbage, horseradish, garlic, green onion, ground red chile pepper, salt (shrimp paste for authenticity). Chop the veggies, mash the garlic, layer them in a large container sprinkled with salt and chile powder and seal it (double bag it with plastic bags to keep the smell in) and leave it in a cool place to sit. Stir it once a day. Taste it after several days have passed to see if the amount of sourness is to your liking. If it is, put it in your refrigerator to keep it at a slower rate of fermentation while you eat it
Gee! I had no idea it was that easy to make. There are a few kinds of Chinese cabbages. Bok Choy, Napa cabbage, and one other that I know of but can't remember the name of now. Napa cabbage is the most common for kimchi. I haven't seen any other cabbage used with kimchi.

I Love Kimchi!!!!!

From the first crunchy garlickly taste I was in love with Kimchi. The most rugged Kimchi I have ever tried was Seasoned Oyster. It's definitely for a kimchi freak like me but I must admit fried oysters beat kimchi seasoned raw ones hands down. Kimchi is excellent with fish and rice. My favorite is napa but I also really love the green onion Kimchi. I think it was probably created to get the juices flowing in your mouth. Fish and rice can be bland. Cayenne and garlic are sent from heaven. The taste is very strong!

👍 YUMMY YUMMY KIMCHI!!!

Parasitic Kimchi!!! Oh My!

That is indeed interesting. I wonder if it's in the homemade stuff in L.A.'s K-town? That's where I get mine. How could anything live in garlic and cayenne is beyond me but I'm gonna read both articles!

😲

Worms in the Cabbage!!!

😌

Politics and human feces as fertilizer!!!! I'm not into that. Homemade in K-town U.S.A. eaten by their 'own' families as it were, I am. I'm still lovin' it!!!! Thanks for the 411(info), though, nice looking out!!!

😄

In my honest opinion, kimchi is delicious treat, but the smell and aftertaste is kind of nauseating, no offense. :sorry: Hope no one is offended. 😌

Kimchi history

Kimch502-1.jpg

Kimchi represents Korea's best known food. Koreans serve kimchi at almost every meal, and few Koreans can last more than a few days before cravings get the better of them. During the 1988 Summer Olympic Games, thousands of foreigners were introduced to it for the first time. Despite a reputation for being spicy, most people usually develop a taste for it, and many foreigners also find themselves missing it after returning to their home country.
Kimchi has a long history. In a poem, Yi Kyu-bo (1168-1241), a distinguished man of letters during the Koryo Dynasty, wrote of radishes pickled in salt for the winter months. Clearly, kimchi existed by the latter part of the Koryo period. The spicy kimchi enjoyed today is believed to have originated in the 1700s when red chili peppers were introduced to Korea. Various regional varieties soon developed, including the white kimchi of P'yong-an Province, which uses no red pepper powder, and the whole cabbage kimchi flavored with bright red peppers and savory chotkal, fermented fish paste, which is enjoyed in the southern provinces.
Kimchi is a fermented food requiring maturation. The unique tangy taste comes from fermentation at low temperatures. In traditional society, large earthenware jars of kimchi were buried in the ground, with only the tops exposed, during the winter months. Fermentation was enhanced by the even temperature and heat emanating from the ground. In this sense, kimchi represents the Korean philosophy that heaven, earth and humanity are one.
Source : http://www.lifeinkorea.com/
I do love Kimchi a lot!!!!!!!!! Massita!!! Sugoku oishii desuyo~ :liplick::liplick:
Kimch490-1.jpg
Kimch024-1.jpg
km011-1.jpg

Types Of Kimchi

Types of kimchi differ from region to region, depending on harvest and weather conditions. Each family also has its own recipe handed down from generation to generation. The number of specific kimchi types can not be easily counted. However, the Korean Food Academy has categorized over 100 different types.

The flavor depends on ingredients, condiments, the amount of salt, and level of spice used in each region. Korea's various regions produce different types of agricultural products, and this is reflected in each region's type of kimchi. The southern provinces (North and South Cholla Provinces and North and South Kyongsang Provinces) tend to use more salt and seafood so the taste is stronger and sweeter. To the north, kimchi tastes less salty and is very mild.

Various Types of Kimchi

Gat Kimchi (Mustard Leaf)

GatKimchiMustardLeaf-1.jpg

Baech'u Keot'cheoli (Cabbage)
BaechuKeotcheoliCabbage-1.jpg

Oi Sobaki (Cucumber)
OiSobakiCucumber-1.jpg

Muuch'ae Kimchi (Thin-Sliced Radish)
MuuchaeKimchiThinSlicedRadish-1.jpg

Nabak Kimchi (Square-Sliced Radish)
NabakKimchiSquareSlicedRadish-1.jpg

Bossam Kimchi (Wrapped Cabbage)
BossamKimchiWrappedCabbage-1.jpg

Ch'ongak Kimchi (Ponytail Radish)
ChongakKimchiPonytailRadish-1.jpg

T'ong Baegu'u Kimchi (Whole Cabbage)
TongBaeguuKimchiWholeCabbage-1.jpg

Bae Kimchi (Cabbage Without Pepper)
BaeKimchiCabbagewithoutpepper-1.jpg

Goldulbbaegi Kimchi (Korean Lettuce)
GoldulbbaegiKimchiKoreanLettuce-1.jpg

P'a Kimchi (Green Onion)
PaKimchiGreenOnion-1.jpg

Ggaktugi (Cubed Radish)
GgaktugiCubedRadish-1.jpg

What's ur fave Kimchi?? 👍

Source : http://www.lifeinkorea.com/culture/kimchi/kimchi.cfm?xURL=types

I like to eat raw tuna and top it with kimchee sauce that is sold in Japan. One sad thing however, at least to me, is that the Japanese kimchee sauces are Katsuo based and that flavor has a tendency to permeate the entire flavor. Japanese kimchee is much milder than the ones I have eaten in Korea.

kimchi is so good. i'm so glad i have a korean roomate so i could steal her kimchi to eat with my ramen and rice heheehhehe

misa.j said:
I can eat so much plain white rice with kimchi.
It is also good with beer. I love spicy food.
Although, I remember my Korean friends sat in a corner at the dorm cafeterria to eat kimchi so they wouldn't bother other people. I think the distinguish smell kimchi has could be weird to some people.

Yeah but Takuan has a smell too...

Kamakiri said:
yeah - I like kimchi with rice (had it yesterday and today), but usually only when I'm sick. Otherwise the heat is just too much for me to handle, although Korean kimchi is just unbearable for me - I prefer the mild Japanese kimchi. My favorite nabe is kimchi-nabe....which I had about every week or so in winter to keep away the flu/colds. Works like a charm!!
Too bad it's so expensive in Japan...back in America it's so much cheaper.

Is there a Kimchi Pretz in Japan?

Revenant said:
Gee! I had no idea it was that easy to make. There are a few kinds of Chinese cabbages. Bok Choy, Napa cabbage, and one other that I know of but can't remember the name of now. Napa cabbage is the most common for kimchi. I haven't seen any other cabbage used with kimchi.

I love authentic regular store bought AND my homemade quick kimchi (I make it with chopped Gari and a squirt of ketchup)

I like Kimchi. I actually make my own Kimchi, I got the recipe on the net, not sure how authentic the recipe is but the result turn out quite nice.😊

I have tried Kimchi in Taiwan and their version of kimchi doesn't exactly taste like mine. I also tried Korean Kimchi two minute noodles and it's very nice.:)

I think every Korean housewife has a different 'taste' for kimchi, therefore its very difficult to find the exact same kimchi. Everything goes on taste when they make it.
Making kimchi is fun, but your fingers smell like garlic after peeling a million gazillion cloves of it.
Good hint too: Grate some Nashi Pear (Bae) into the shrimp/fish sauce/chillipowder mix. Its better than adding sugar.

Kara_Nari said:
I think every Korean housewife has a different 'taste' for kimchi, therefore its very difficult to find the exact same kimchi. Everything goes on taste when they make it.
Making kimchi is fun, but your fingers smell like garlic after peeling a million gazillion cloves of it.
Good hint too: Grate some Nashi Pear (Bae) into the shrimp/fish sauce/chillipowder mix. Its better than adding sugar.

Hmmm I might try that sometime for variations. Would the Thai fish sauce do? Because here there are very few Korean products, I don't think I ever saw shrimp sauce before over here, that's why I can't make my own Szechwan Dan Dan noodle sauce.😭

The sauce I think is like anchovy sauce.... and the shrimp is just chopped really really finely pieces.
Good luck!!!
Make sure you salt your cabbage too, and wash it 4-5 times, it helps with the fermenting. I dont know how to do that properly though, coz we can buy pre salted cabbages here.

I just don't like Kim Chee, the strange thing is that i like alot of spicy things, pickled and fermented, things with sour and/or spicy flavor, but Kim Chee just doesn't seem to taste right to me.

I eat Melissa's Kimchi (available in the local market here in New England). That's great but too spicy for my Japanese friends who like a tangier and slightly toned-down version. My Japanese grandmother made Kimchi and I was enjoying it until I found somebody's long hair in it (gross)!!! Now I only eat the Kimchi from the market...
She always makes it out of fresh ingredients though and they keep it cold always...

Sally_Hawn said:
I like to sautツ・the kimchi with jumbo shrimps and scallions (or chives), and throw a 窶忤ell-beatenツ・egg into the pan in the end. It takes less than 15 mins. No seasoning is required since kimchi already has a lot of flavors. The final product is called Super Kimchi Omelet avec les Crevettes from Hell. Dare to try? I made this thing up.

Sounds pretty good, I used to make something similar, you've inspired me to try again!

Back
Top Bottom