What's new

MEXT Scholarship for Postgraduate 2009: Post Application

Hi everybody,

I'm guessing that just as students enter the uni, there will be students leaving at the same time as well (as kshoo) has mentioned. So i don't really think it makes much difference when we get there. of course, i could be wrong but for now, i'm not unduly worried.

kshoo,

Thanks for introducing MIJ to us. It seems like a really warm group. :)

Was anyone on that narita to osaka flight that got delayed? Yeah, that was because of me.

Wow, looks like that are already putting me into lab research... They have been cramming all these chemistry stuff into my head the past few days, and honestly, I'm just getting lost.

sidenote, I didn't know you had internet already ooilingfan! you're like several steps ahead of me.

hey menrui and ooilingfan,

Glad to have u guys back.

So how's Japan?

Menrui, as a research student, what exactly are you doing? attending classes?

Uh, I just do research and try to get "good results". That seems to be the popular phrase here. But I am allowed to take a class or 2.

Was anyone on that narita to osaka flight that got delayed? Yeah, that was because of me.
Wow, looks like that are already putting me into lab research... They have been cramming all these chemistry stuff into my head the past few days, and honestly, I'm just getting lost.
sidenote, I didn't know you had internet already ooilingfan! you're like several steps ahead of me.

no?!
I'm using the internet at the internationalツ student centre.
we need to wait for at least 10 working days.

I'm still on a communication blackout like you.
Though i have a temporary phone borrowed from one of the senpai.
Anyway, all the best, guys. Hope we get to meet again soon when we go travelling in Japan. Perhaps during the 1-week spring holidays?

>ooilingfan
I thought spring holiday already over?

>menrui
What do you mean by getting 'good results'? Good results for Japanese course or research or the postgraduate course?

Greetings from Osaka

hey menrui and ooilingfan,
Glad to have u guys back.
So how's Japan?
Menrui, as a research student, what exactly are you doing? attending classes?
hi clockworkorange,
WARNING: long post
sorry for 'disappearing' for a few days.
We in Handai sorta having a communication breakdown/blackout since we arrived. Everything takes time here, unlike kyoto and tokyo.
Our phones and internet might take weeks.
Anyway, Osaka is great, the weather is cooling, just nice, like living in Genting Highlands everyday. Hanami is great, the blossoming delayed this year, if not we would've missed it as sakura usually falls at the end of March.
I'll try to upload some pictures on my facebook or soemthing when i got the time. Still haven't go around taking pictures yet - too busy with orientation and shopping everyday.
Well, a tip for malaysians coming in October, you may not find the usual brands on your daily essentials. And those brands that we are familiar with, it's much much more expensive here. So we have no choice but to adapt to the things here. For example, there are no Darlie or Colgate. Milo there is only 270g packs, and it costs like 400yen or more (it's like 10times more expensive if you convert to RM). I can't find any cereal drinks like Nestum in the smaller stores here. But if you can live without those, you're fine. Otherwise just ship from M'sia, it's still cheaper after the shipping costs.
Oh, btw, forget about reloading your phone credit and bringing your phone. IT DOESN'T WORK HERE!!! Damn, and i load it full of credits..... Maybe a 3G phone works but my samsung D600 totally can't receive any signals.
There are some good news though. I tried using my Maybank ATM card to withdraw money at the post office bank. IT WORKS!!! haha, so if you don't want to bring so much cash for security reasons. Keep your money in the bank and withdraw it here. DON'T BRING RINGGIT CASH. The conversion rates at money changers(only at airports) is super low.
Btw, did the Yen just plunged these few days? I checked my Maybank account after my withdrawal, and the charges are quite acceptable. It's even cheaper than when i bought yen in cash back in m'sia.
Regarding your baggage at the airport, you can carry 30kg +-5kg. You can even split your baggage into a few as long as the total check in doesn't exceed the limit. Of course if it's over 30kg, you may have to beg the person to let it pass without charges, but it's possible.
As for inspection, they hardly even take a glimpse at my baggage. Everything just pass through smoothly. They are quite lenient now with Govt scholars. So you may stuff your burnt CDs in. No worries!!
Last piece of advise. LEARN AS MUCH JAPANESE AS YOU CAN for these remaining months. Take full time courses, business usage type, so you can at least speak when you come. I am so retarded this few days. People at the post office, banks, city halls hardly speak any english at all. I can't even order a proper meal at Mc Donald's!
Btw, Mc Donald's here is cheap, you can get a value meal at 400yen during lunchtime promotion. =p
Guess that's all for now. Ja ne. Gambatte kudasai.

>ooilingfan
Thanks for your information. 👍

Yes, please upload the photos of sakura... we can only see them next year...:(

So are you sending your package over by PosLaju now?

We have to wait to get our phones and internet? :(

hello!!

ooilingfan, remind me to belanja you makan (or cook if it proves too expensive) when I get to Japan. You've been very helpful ( I was agonizing whether to bring my CDs or not). So thanks!!

menrui,
good luck on getting your good results.

btw, are both of you taking the japanese language classes? how are they?

for me, "good results" just means to do well in research.

No im not taking the intensive language courses. They think it will be too "easy" for me... but I will try to take the regular elective courses.

Since being here, I realized that my japanese listening/speaking skills just sucks. I think I was too focused on kanji and reading, when I should of been practicing my listening and conversation too.

ooo some one didn't secure his/her wireless router at the dorm... I wonder how long this will last. till then, free internet!

hello guys!!

hows everyone settling in??
boy, everything's so new to me!! luckily I have a tutor assigned to assist me.. otherwise i'd be in a total mess!!

the rest of my lab frens are also very kind - cudn't be better~~

hurm though i have to admit - there's just so many procedures that we hv to undergo!! (@_@)

what about the rest?? u guys adapting well??

p/s: sakura season is almost over ne~~

eucalyptus!!
How r u?!!

How's tokyo uni? i wonder if a tutor will be assigned to help me huhu....

Do you have to communicate in Japanese with them? which campus dorm are you staying in? is it komaba? Hows the dorm? Is it easy to get internet connection?

Gosh, i have so many questions to ask. :p neway, i hope ur settling in well. I'm all excited to go.

But have to wait another 6 months. :p

hey hey there, clockworkorange!!!

i'm great!! (still alive at least ;p)

regarding the assigned tutor, i think you can ask your supervisor about it..
and YES!!! they practically speak their tongue most of the time! and of course there are times that they attempted to use english as well - but yknow, we resemble the saying "sorang cakap ayam, sorang cakap itik" so much!! ahhaha cant blame anyone..

im in kashiwa.. komaba and hongo are way farther so i cant stay there.. the not so fun thing is that kashiwa's lodge is VERY limited.. and i didn't get it so now i'm staying off-campus. kinda hard cz im practically the only one from the group who is here.. internet connection hasn't been a problem so far.. so i guess hongo shud b the same too..

dun worry gal.. ur time will come ^_^ n when u do - we shud hang out!! ;p havent been to tokyo yet.. kinda occupied wit various stuff *sigh*

hi everyone.i am new in this forum. i just want to know some information about MEXT Scholarship in Kyushu University.Anybody here from Kyushu University?
How the possibility if Kyushu University Recommend any student to MEXT for the Research Scholarship?How was your procedure?Is there any possibility to reject the recommendation by MEXT?
I think for other university it goes same.So if anyone knows the answer,please share with me.Thank you very much to all guys here.

hey hey there, clockworkorange!!!
but yknow, we resemble the saying "sorang cakap ayam, sorang cakap itik" so much!! ahhaha cant blame anyone..
im in kashiwa.. komaba and hongo are way farther so i cant stay there.. the not so fun thing is that kashiwa's lodge is VERY limited.. and i didn't get it so now i'm staying off-campus. kinda hard cz im practically the only one from the group who is here.. internet connection hasn't been a problem so far.. so i guess hongo shud b the same too..
dun worry gal.. ur time will come ^_^ n when u do - we shud hang out!! ;p havent been to tokyo yet.. kinda occupied wit various stuff *sigh*

hi eucalyptus!!

haha..yeah conversations with my Japanese teacher tend to go the same way. Sometimes when i want to tell her things but dunno the words, its so frustrating that she laughs and goes.."maa maa, slowly neh?"

have you join this group MalaysiansinJapan yet? They're pretty helpful. Also i know, through this group, that the Malaysian students in Todai have formed an association/group. I think joining would be a good idea. at least they can help you and guide you.

Yes, we must definitelly hang out!!! I'll see you in October!! hope ur not too busy!!

hi everyone.i am new in this forum. i just want to know some information about MEXT Scholarship in Kyushu University.Anybody here from Kyushu University?
How the possibility if Kyushu University Recommend any student to MEXT for the Research Scholarship?How was your procedure?Is there any possibility to reject the recommendation by MEXT?
I think for other university it goes same.So if anyone knows the answer,please share with me.Thank you very much to all guys here.

You can try e-mailing the person-in-charge of the admission office of Kyushu University:
[email protected]

Can't help you much on that, I am not a student there. The official website of Kyushu University:
KYUSHU UNIVERSITY

For your information, you can refer that bulky chunk of information over here:
Monbukagakusho Scholarship for Postgraduate!! , so that you will find more information about the MEXT Scholarship.

Kyushu University can recommend the students, but it is not in-charged by the embassy. You will first have to be a student in the university to get yourself recommended for the scholarship. The application is known as domestic selection.

In all, you have three ways of getting the MEXT scholarship:
1 Embassy Recommendation
2 University Recommendation
3 Domestic Selection

You can reject the recommendation of MEXT, but I am not sure whether you will be black-listed. However, please think twice, while you are applying, and while you would like to reject the recommendation. You will be wasting the chance of others by doing so... (I hope I won't hurt you by saying so)

University Recommendation

Thank you very much Kouki for your valuable information by spending your valuable time for me.Another question is:I have been Recommended to the MEXt by the University for October 2009.I just want to know now,how is the possibility of getting MEXT Scholarship?I am nervous a bit.My supervisor said that the final result will be in June for the October intake.Also for your information,my university Recommended 2 students to MEXT for October 2009.
Do you have any idea?

Thanks to all in this forum for making it really a successful forum.

University Recommendation

Thank you very much Mr.Kouki...good luck to u too.
have a happy time .Thanks again for your response.

Hi guys,
it seems like this place has been quiet for quite a while. =p
it's kinda expected anyway, everybody has progressed from here.
You guys wouldn't mind I share some pieces of osaka (and kyoto) here right? =p
here are my facebook link to some pictures:

I really regretted not taking pictures of Handai immersed in sakura before they fall.....
Guess i can only do it next year....

And just some updates: (for m'sians
I received my first shipment, safe and sound (well the box kemek a bit, but i reinforced it quite well with a lot of packing tapes and cellophane tapes so it's still fine)
Customs let it pass without hassle. Sent directly to my dorm. No need to collect from the post office.
It took about 1 month. Hope my 2nd shipment arrives soon as well.
=)

you can ship some food that can't be found in japan. Things like coffee and milo can be very pricey (3- 10 times as much) if you can't live without them. I suited myself to ocha and miso soup d though, gave up my favourite milo drink. =p

ok, class starts in 1 min.
Ja.

>ooilingfan

It has been quite some time seeing you... :) What is in the first shipment? Food? Books? or CDs? How much did you pay? Using pos laju?

wow, judging from your pictures, you guys are having a lot of fun with out me :( .

Here is an advice for all the new applicants: you might want to ask about your lab's work hours. Otherwise, you might end up working 12 hours a day, including saturday.

you might want to ask about your lab's work hours. Otherwise, you might end up working 12 hours a day, including saturday.

Wow, you are in your lab already?

Mine even includes Sunday... But I am not there yet... Another 6 months!!!

Back
Top Bottom