先輩
28 Aug 2010
Hello,

Could you please kindly help me with translation for the following sentence:

のぞみどおり こやを たて はたを すえてやると やめさまは よろこんで
そのひから はたばに はいったが そのとき 「なのかのあいだ けっして
のぞいては いけませんよ。」と いいおいて とを ぴたりと たててしまった

I had translated it as:

As she wishes, he had built the cabin, and since that day he set weaving up, his wife
entered place for weaving with pleasure, but then she leaved the message: "On 7th day, you should never peek inside." close to the door.

But I am not sure about ぴたりと たててしまった. Maybe ぴたりと express location of the message (near the door). たててしまった may mean "to build ", but I am little bit unclear how I can put it into the translation.

Oh, and another difficulty if はた, maybe it is machine for the weaving. Unfortunately I
could not find its image on the Net.

Thank you very much! :sorry:

ぴたりと is an adverb to explain something like "with no space", and (とを)たてる means "to shut (a door)".

[4] (「閉てる」とも書く)雨戸・障子などをしめる。

雨戸を―・てる
サービス終了のお知らせ

とを ぴたりと たててしまった
she shut the door completely.

なのかのあいだ is more likely "for seven days".

Oh, and another difficulty if はた, maybe it is machine for the weaving. Unfortunately I
could not find its image on the Net.
Yes, it's はたおりき or weaving machine, probably like the one below.

2ibg9bt-1.jpg

Toritoribeさん、

Thank you so much for perfect explanation. And thank you very much for the weaving machine image. :sorry:

Heh, didn't know that usage of たてる. And I thought はた was 旗. Heh. 😌

This usage of "たてる" is not so common in modern Japanese.
The saying "人の口に戸はたてられぬ" (People will talk.) is a rare example of common usage.

Yeah, these archaic expressions are often used in fairly tales.:) It would be same to とを ぴったり しめてしまった in modern Japanese.

Yeah, these archaic expressions are often used in fairly tales.:) It would be same to とを ぴったり しめてしまった in modern Japanese.

I am not sure, but maybe とじてしまった also could be used to express the same meaning.
But, maybe I am wrong...

I am not sure, but maybe とじてしまった also could be used to express the same meaning.
But, maybe I am wrong...
As for the difference between 閉[と]じる and 閉[し]める, the latter can't be used as an intransitive verb, i.e., 戸[と]が閉める is wrong. Further, which verb should be used depends also on the object. 閉じる is often used for 目, 口, 本, 傘, on the other hand, 閉める is for 引き出し, 門. Google search suggests 戸を閉める is more common, but 戸を閉じる is no doubt acceptable, as lounli-san wrote. :)

ナ津銀?堙ー窶「テや?堙溪?堙ゥ: 246,000
ナ津銀?堙ー窶「テや?堋カ窶堙ゥ: 48,400

Toritoribeさん、

Thank you for your so kind explanation about the difference. I completely forgot about transitivity matters. Just i checked the dictionary and it says nothing about とじる transitivity. Is it possible to use it in both cases such as

戸を閉じる
戸が閉じる

Thank you very much! :sorry:

Yes, 戸が閉じる is correct, too. :) It's a transitive, so has a nuance of "The door shuts by itself". This might be confusing , but there is another transitive verb 閉[し]まる as the pair of 閉める. Thus, you can also use 戸が閉まる.

まぶしさで目が閉じた。((literally) My eyes shut because of the glare.)
まぶしくて目を閉じた。(I shut my eyes because of the glare.)

風で戸が閉まった。(The door was shut by the wind.)
戸を閉めた。(I shut the door.)

Toritoribeさん、

Thank you so much for so perfect explanation. Thank you for kindly providing transitiveness examples.

If possible, could I ask a little bit more. I am little bit unclear with

まぶしくて目を閉じた。(I shut my eyes because of the glare.)

I noticed て form of まぶしい , and I could translate it as "It is dazzling and I shut my eyes" (これはまぶしくて目を閉じた)

But in the correct translation "because" was used. Is it possible to replace まぶしくて with まぶしさ like below:

まぶしさで目を閉じた

I am so sorry for asking so much on same theme.

Thank you so much! :sorry:

The -te form itself doesn't have meaning. It's just connecting two clauses, and the meaning is provided by the relation of them. Incidentally, when ~て means "because", the main clause must be a description of a fact or the speaker's guess, i.e., the speaker's intention/request/hope can't be expressed in the main clause.

Xまぶしくてカーテンを閉めて下さい。
○まぶしいからカーテンを閉めて下さい。
(Please close the curtains, because it's dazzling.)

Of course まぶしさで目を閉じた is fine, too. 👍

Back
Top Bottom