What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Maths question in Japanese

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I've just done an impromptu maths lesson with a friend's JHS year 3 daughter and was sent a couple of pages of a textbook, and wasn't quite sure what the questions were asking.
The maths itself is straightforward, it's about plotting the graph of the linear function (1次関数) y=3x+1.

The question itself introduces the function, gives a table of x and y values and a picture of the graph itself.
The question has two parts.
1) 1次関数y=3x+1の変化の割合を答えなさい。
2) 直線 y=3x+1では右へ1進むと、上へどれたけ進みますか。

2) Seems to be just asking how much the line goes up when x is increased by one, which is 3, but I was confused by 1). Is it just asking the same thing - i.e., 変化の割合 is the proportional change - y is going up three times as quickly as x?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Yes, both questions are asked about the same thing. Are "1)" and "2)" written in the original text? If not, it seems to me that's a single question where #2 is just a clarification about what 変化の割合 means exactly.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribe. Yes, I copied out the text from the textbook. I think they were separate questions (the native Japanese speaking girl I was teaching thought so too), but the use of leading questions to explain a point (here that y going up by 3 when x goes up by 1 means that y goes up three times as quickly as x), is quite common when teaching mathematics.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I see. Then, yes, those are indeed two questions. I think there is another possibility where other questions about 変化の割合 could appear later in the textbook, for instance, asking about 変化の割合 of a quadratic function, showing the readers/students that 変化の割合 differs depending on the choice of the two "x"s, and letting them think about the difference between the two functions.

Top Bottom