What's new

M6.1 tremblor hits Kanto area

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
That was quite a "shake-up" tonight: an M6.1 tremblor hit the Kanto area at 22:41. The epicentre was in Saitama Northwestern Chiba Prefecture, in a depth of 80km.

tremblor-07102021.jpg

A magnitude 6.1 earthquake jolted the Tokyo area on Thursday night, registering a strong 5 on Japan's intensity scale. There was no threat of a tsunami. The quake, centered in Chiba Prefecture, occurred at 10:41 p.m. at a depth of 80 kilometers, according to the Meteorological Agency. Some train lines were suspended and power was out in some areas following the quake, news reports said. There were no immediate reports of abnormalities at the Tokai No. 2 nuclear power plant, which is already offline, at around 10:40 in the village of Tokai, Ibaraki Prefecture, where the quake registered a 3, NHK reported. Officials were continuing to examine any impact from the earthquake. According to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, there was no reports of damage to power-related sites in the Kanto region as of 11 p.m., NHK reported, though information was continuing to be collected.

It's the first time we had mobile phone alarms, and the PA alerts go off simultaneously.

As with the last big one, my daughter and I both completely slept through it and didn't notice a thing, which my wife was (jokingly) none too happy about in the morning. ;)

Ah, the sleep of the just, how I envy you! :)

Yesterday's quake was the strongest in the Kanto region since 2011; the magnitude was adjusted to M5.9.

Apparently 3, though my wife says (subjectively) she felt it more than any quake since 3.11.

No damage or fallen objects around the house (at least, nothing I've noticed yet), so that was a relief.

Apparently 3, though my wife says (subjectively) she felt it more than any quake since 3.11.

No damage or fallen objects around the house (at least, nothing I've noticed yet), so that was a relief.
May I suggest putting a shelf of some sort above the head of your bed? Then you'll be sure to wake up as the contents drop on you. Try not to put your prized bottles of Scotch up there. I suggest something lighter like your Sailor Moon action figure collection.

Back
Top Bottom